Williamsburg Warnings and Dangers

WHERE IS MY CAR?
    TOP OF THE GOVERNOR'S PALACE
  • SORRY,  SOLID  WASTES  OF  A  HORSE  ON  A  STREET
    SORRY, SOLID WASTES OF A HORSE ON ...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Williamsburg

Closed to the public

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 16, 2004

TOP  OF  THE  GOVERNOR'S  PALACE

We visited the highlights of Colonial Williamsburg: the Governor's Palace and the Capitol. I was satisfied about the guided tours we joined inside them.

But keep in mind that there are some parts of both buildings closed to the public. In the Governor's Palace the third floor covered by sloping roof, the tower and the secret terrace on the top (behind the fence on my picture) were unfortunately closed for the public.

Well, with the crowds of visitors it wouldn't be easy to let them to visit these compact areas. As the guide explained, the reason we couldn't go to the third floor is because the fire marshal wouldn't allow it because of insufficient escape routes.

But even, as I noticed, the USA is a country of equal opportunities for all visitors, so they would rather not accept special tours for much higher price to, say the tower on my picture.

• Architecture

Forbidden on the promenade

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 16, 2004

THE  BAN  PUT  ON  THE  PROMENADE

There is a pretty promenade just north of the Visitors Center. It connects parking lots and nearby hotels (Woodlands Hotel & Suites and Cascades Motel) with the Colonial Williamsburg's Visitor Center. The promenade is surrounded by beautiful green space full of trees and flowers.

The ban on my picture was put on the promenade because of busy pedastrian traffic. I didn't see any folks skateboarding or rollerblading in the Colonial Williamsburg but I saw some people biking a bicycle there.

• Adventure Travel
    • Cycling

Where is my car?

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 15, 2004

WHERE  IS  MY  CAR?

There are very many huge parking lots with thousands of cars located on one level around the entrance to the Colonial Williamsburg. They are free for the visitors.

Most friends of mine say that I have a very good sense of direction. But, anyway, I was forced to remember well where I parked my car in Williamsburg. Otherwise I would lose an hour or more looking for it after coming back. I didn't notice any cameras on my unguarded parking lot which would eventually help to find out the car, but I wasn't too worried because I was told Colonial Williamsburg is in a good neighbourhood.

Have you ever lost your car? As I know bright yellow colour is the best seen, but the car I hired was an ordinary silver colour :-).

My recommendation is always to write down the number of place and/or sector whenever you park on a large parking lot or the name of the street (+ the closest side street) in a city, unless you happen to have "b1bob" with you to remember it for you. Never use another vehicle as a landmark because after 5 or 6 hours of touring Colonial Williamsburg, your landmark could well be long gone. Use an immovable landmark instead.

I can't forget one event which happened in late 1970s. I, as a kid that time, visited "the West" for the first time: Vienna, Austria. My parents met a young couple from Poland on the camping. They were really depressed because they lost their car. They parked it somewhere in suburbs by a Mobil gas station and took a bus to tour downtown Vienna. They were so excited about the tour that they forgot where they left their car. They reported the loss to the police but... hmm... the problem was that there were over... 100 Mobil gas station in the Vienna area that time.

The moral of the story: remember where you leave your car.

• Museum Visits

• Colonial SPEED TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by billsburg-local Updated Aug 7, 2003

You have heard of police departments who have quotas for tickets, not here. We have a department (Williamsburg P.D.) which officers come in on their days off to write tickets. Why? They are on commission! That's right. ON COMMISSION! Certain areas have additional fines levied as high as $200 plus the ticket and court costs. Think they will cut anyone a break? Why would they?

We have a lot to offer, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA etc. However, BEWARE OF THE FINANCIALLY MOTIVATED BEARS!!!
    FYI.

• Theme Park Trips

• Those Hot and Humid Days in the 'burg

by teatre Written Jul 25, 2003

During July and August it can be VERY hot and humid. Be sure to drink lots of water and it is not a bad idea to plan to have a late lunch, 2pm or so since that is usually the hottest part of the day. Bonus, the taverns usually aren't as crowded at that time.

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Magazine

by acemj Updated Oct 18, 2002

No, this is not a place that sells GQ or People magazine. This is a warehouse for for military arms, equipment and gun powder that houses an impressive array of weaponry. This is an original building.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Behave yourself

by b1bob Updated Oct 14, 2002

When Men Behave Badly

This is what happens when you tell the waiter at Shields Tavern (who brings your coffee without a spoon), "It'll be mighty hot stirring it with my finger." Seriously, folks, just like anywhere else you go, if you use a lick of common sense in terms of protecting your valuables, you should be okay. I usually wear a neck wallet. When you get on the roller coasters at Busch Gardens, remember to secure all loose items.

• Archeology

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Better behave or...

by rsleisk Updated Nov 8, 2004

Warning children this is what happens when you misbehave in Williamsburg. My daughter quickly apologized for her behavior and was released shortly after this photo was taken.

• shdw100's Profile Photo

Children acting up....

by shdw100 Written Oct 24, 2002

The good thing about Williamsburg is that if your kids act up too much, you can just put them in the stockaid with chains!

Instant Answers: Williamsburg

Comments

Williamsburg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Williamsburg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Williamsburg sightseeing.