Parks /Squares / Gardens, Washington D.C.

Know about this? Rate It!

by taxing
    by matcrazy1
    by matcrazy1
  • matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Time to relax and pollinators thing :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 14, 2006

CONSERVATORY

Favorite thing: During the first two days in DC I passed by newly renovated Conservatory of the United States Botanic Gardens (USBG) a few times. I saw quite long line by the entrance thus I missed it. Then I saw the gardens and high conservatory down from the library of the Indian Museum and this view encouraged me to try again the next days. Finally in the last day shortly before closing we, Urszula and I, eventually visited the conservatory. Actually there is a lovely garden around there as well (partly under construction, hidden behind a fence, in 2004).

Fondest memory: It was before 5 pm. Urszula, my wife, being tired out after the whole day of busy sightseeing didn't want to see anything more, well except some cloth stores, maybe in Georgetown as she had already checked in our travel book. As we were passing by the Botanic Gardens and there was no line seen, I proposed her to go there for a while and relax inside. But she didn't want.

So, as soon as I had seen a large poster advertising temporary exhibition titled "Pollinators, partnership", I said something like this: "Wow, it's unbelievable! Look! They have pollinators there!" Certainly, I had no idea what that strange English word "pollinator" meant. Urszula surely asked me and I had to reply very seriously that they were very beautiful and unbelievable rare species of flowers. I convinced her to enter to see these rare flowers.

To my surprise, in orangerie, instead of fantastic flowers of "pollinators" in bloom, I surprisingly saw a few hundreds of outstanding photographs of "pollinators" that was the bees, butterflies, flies, beetles, birds, bats, wasps, and other species that transfer pollen in exchange for a little nectar from flowers. Hmm, I had to explain Urszula my mistake and we both had a great fan about these "pollinators" which we called then "copulators". Well, there was a wisely set up educational part of the exhibition when we could easily learn that our future depends on these pollinators and their effective preservation.

We went back to our hotel parking lot and then drove to Georgtown all the time joking about the pollinators.

• Eco-Tourism

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Squirrels in the Park

by TropicGirl77 Written Feb 28, 2003

Picnic in the Park

Favorite thing: Coming from Hawaii where we lack many of the accustomed four-legged wild creatures, it was neat to see the squirrels running around the grounds. This one was evidently "hunting" for hidden treasures and managed to find a few as we looked on.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Lafeyette Square

by bugalugs Written Jul 20, 2003

Dorothy and me!

Favorite thing: This square was named after the Marquis de Lafayette. It was once where the rich had their mansions, including Henry Adams. Where his house was situated now stands a hotel called the Hay Adams Hotel and it is said that Colonal Oliver North obtained contributions for the Nicaraguan contras here.

Nearby is St. Johns church where there is a pew always reserved for the presidential family.

Fondest memory: It was nice to visit DC and see such famous sites that you normally see on the tv, but it was also nice to meet up with vt member soccergrrl.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Fountains, fountains everywhere

by Pawtuxet Written Sep 26, 2004

Favorite thing: This wonderful fountain is between the Capitol and the Union Station. As you descend the hillside....you cross a little park area surrounded by flowering trees in spring. Walkways cut across the expanse of open space....always welcome in Washington. Then you come upon this plateau with fountain and cool, cool water that would love to put your toes into.

• Lady-Charisma's Profile Photo

Cutie-patootie, little squirrel...awwwwww!

by Lady-Charisma Written Jan 17, 2005

The cutey-patootie, itsy-bitsy, little squirrel

Favorite thing: I think the single most important site I would take someone to see is the National Mall. It has been the site of many famous events (i.e. the Million Man March & Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speach) and is a beautiful place to have a picnic.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Washington D.C. was when I saw these little squirrels come boldly scurrying towards people, munching on tiny, little acorns. They were sooooooooo cute!

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

City Respite

by soccergrrl Written Jun 30, 2004

Sneak up on Pershing in his Park

Favorite thing: One thing for sure when you visit Washington, DC -- you'll do a lot of walking! And you'll get hungry (OK, two things). When you find yourself downtown, maybe having just visited the White House or Washington Monument, grab a snack or quick take-out lunch from a sandwich shop or street vendor and head to Pershing Park. It's two blocks from the White House, along Pennsylvania Ave. between 15th & 14th streets. It is sunken, and once you go down the steps, you'll be greeted by a shady patio area with tables under trees and a fountain tumbling down into a rectangular pool. If the tables are full you can sit on the steps that line the other side of the pool.

Fondest memory: The sound of the fountain drowns out much of the traffic noise, the coolness of the water and the shade of the trees cuts down on the heat and humidity, and you can rest your feet for more walking!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Pay a visit to Albert Einstein

by pieter_jan_v Updated Apr 15, 2013

Albert Einstein statue - Washington

Favorite thing: E = M C square; a formaula that popped up at the end of a blackboard loaded with all kind of formula's and algorythms. In fact Albert Einstein started quantum mechanics in full swing with his new inside into how space is formed.

His statue is located at the Northern walkway of the mall.

• Seniors
    • Hiking and Walking

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Take a stroll through the...

by seamandrew Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a stroll through the sculpture garden and sit by the fountain. The atmosphere is just perfect!

Fondest memory: My visit to Washington was an extremely warm one with temperature in the high 90's.
    That fountain was so refreshing and I sat in the shade and enjoy the mist.

• InfiKnight's Profile Photo

InfiKnight's General Tip

by InfiKnight Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: I am still in the process of making memories, but if there is one thing that I enjoy most about this city is that it is very comfortable, almost intimate. It is definitely a 'big' city, but doesn't feel like one.

• Just spend a day in Potomac...

by gtoates Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Just spend a day in Potomac Park and surrounding area where you can visit the various monuments and see all the buildings associated with the government of the world's biggest democracy.

Fondest memory: The easiest capital city in the world to park a car---for free. We visited on a Sunday but it was an experience I am not familiar with.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Funky Art

by Gypsystravels Updated Aug 31, 2006

Eraser

Favorite thing: Throughout DC you'll find yourself sorrounded by great architecture and funky art. We came across this garden with all these large everyday objects.

Here is a pic of an eraser.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo

Lafeyette Square

by bugalugs Written Jul 20, 2003

Lets have peace

Favorite thing: Here alongside Lafeyette Square in front of the White House is where people congregate to demonstrate.

These people want peace, sadly not everyone in the world does!

• bluefelt's Profile Photo

They have great public art...

by bluefelt Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: They have great public art there. I mean, excessive amounts of good public art that no one else seems to have. Great museums too. I'd love to spend more time there.

• Kentbein's Profile Photo

Rock Creek Park looking to the...

by Kentbein Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Rock Creek Park looking to the norteast from one of the bridges. The bridges crossing over the park are world class and worth walking across.

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels