The Pentagon, Washington D.C.

700 Army-Navy Drive, (703) 695-2295

Know about this? Rate It!

by mht_in_la
  • gosiaPL's Profile Photo

The Pentagon

by gosiaPL Written Jan 31, 2005

The Pentagon, view from the Old Town Trolley

Favorite thing: As you cross the Potomac River, you are actually in Virginia. On that side of the river, the Old Town Trolley tour takes you only to the Arlington Cemetery, but if you get on one of the night tours, the driver can choose a different route to also enable you to have a glimpse of the Pentagon.

Our driver was quite daring, she chose a route that was forbidden for access, and soon we were chased by the police. We had to stop and turn around on a busy road (glad the police assisted in this!). Still, our driver found a way for us to take some pics as we were going past the Pentagon!

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Seeing the Pentagon

by sswagner Updated Jan 20, 2005
    Pentagon

Favorite thing: The events of September 11, 2001 had a terrible impact on the Pentagon as a commercial jet was flown into this building. Although the building itself has been restored, those events of that day leaves scars and memories that will never heal.

The building itself is massive and from the ground, it is difficult to tell that this has five sides to it. The best way to see it is by airplane. Of course, it is hard to predict whether or not you will take off to the north or land from the north. if you take off to the north (towards the city/monuments) from National Airport, then you want to be on the left side of the plane in an unobstructed window seat. Likewise, landing from the north requires a window seat on the right side of the plane. Then, you will see the Pentagon with 5 sides.

If you are trying to get a photo, a manual camera is necessary since electronic devices are going to be frowned upon in the takeoff and landing stages. The Pentagon is nearly next to the airport.

Fondest memory: Always nice to see this from the air.

• Photography

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

by mht_in_la Updated Jul 13, 2004
    Pentagon in the horizon

Favorite thing: I wanted to see Pentagon when I visited DC. Especially after 911 I wonder how much damage from the attack is still visible. But I didn't get to visit due to time constraint.

When I was in Arlington National Cemetery I could see it in the horizon and that's as close as I got. In the photo I was trying to show Pentagon. But the photo was over-exposed so you have to use a little imagination.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

The Pentagon

by GUYON Written Feb 25, 2003

Pentagon

Favorite thing: See the Pentagon on the other Potomac bank.

It might be visited before September 11.

Fondest memory: The photograph was taken the 4 August 2001, before the Terrorist Attack.

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels