U. S. Holocaust Museum, Washington D.C.

100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW (202) 488–0400

Know about this? Rate It!

ON THE WALL
    by matcrazy1
  • U. S. Holocaust Museum
    by nygaston
    TO THE MUSEUM
    by matcrazy1
  • matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Holocaust through my eyes again

by matcrazy1 Updated Mar 10, 2006

TO THE MUSEUM

Favorite thing: I would recommend the United States Holocaust National Museum for all including those travelers who, just like me, prefer to entertain than reflect over the past and future while on holiday. For children there is a seperate exposition named "Remember the Children".

Waiting maybe 30 min. to get a daily pass to the Pernament Exhibition I got to know that photography is not permitted. Despite my quite good knowledge on the Holocaust I've learnt more during my 2-hour self-guided tour through three floors of the exhibition divided into three parts: "Nazi Assault," "Final Solution," and "Last Chapter." It displays a comprehensive history of the Holocaust through artifacts, photographs, films, oral histories, and filmed eyewitness testimonies. It was interesting to see how they showed the holocaust on the territory of occupied by Nazis Poland. I live 30 min. from Auschwitz (Oswiecim), Poland where Nazis set up a concentration camp and killed at least 1,100,000 people. The educational value of the exposition is outstanding and it is more than just a museum. It's a research and educational center as well.

Someone said: "The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again." I am fully repectful to the huge tragedy of Jews. I regret that crimes, perpetrators and victims of what should be called "Soviet holocaust" are not revealed, publicized and shown to the public in similar way. Already proven by historicians fact that overall number of Soviet crimes exceeds those of Hitler is often ignored or treated as "an interesting theory", especially in what is called Western Europe. In this case "political corectiveness" seems to be dangerous and short-sighted approach to the not so old past. In fact, these crimes have never been carefully searched and punished.

A bit more in my travelogue "Before you go".

• Museum Visits

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Holocaust Museum

by seagoingJLW Written Feb 25, 2003

Wall of Remembrance

Favorite thing: this museum is located at 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW.

The museum is organized to support education and remembrance. Touring the four floors of Permanent Exhibitions can take several hours.

There is a Hall of Remembrance which serves as a memorial to victims of the Holocaust.

Fondest memory: Here is a photo of the Children's Tile Wall, also known as the Wall of Remembrance. It memorializes the children murdered in the Holocaust.

• Casino and Gambling

• melody129's General Tip

by melody129 Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: My favorite memory is of my friend laying down on a crowded sidewalk, while wearing a suit, to get a picture of me with the sign for the Holocaust Museusm behind me! I had wanted to get the picture, but since I'm only 5' tall, you couldn't see me and the sign unless you stood in the middle of traffic, so he shocked me and laid down and took it!

• feline01's Profile Photo

The Holocaust Museum. One of...

by feline01 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The Holocaust Museum. One of those museums that will make you cry but life can't always be about Disney. Go early before it gets extremely crowded and take your time exploring. Timed tickets are given out during the busy times especially for the special exhibits.

• Visit the Holocaust Museum. ...

by noahsdad Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Holocaust Museum. Listen to gospel music--there are many paid performances throughout the year, but you can hear high-quality music in many places on any given Sunday (Shiloh Baptist is just one example of a church with a strong gospel music reputation). See the National Museum of African Art. Then witness the diverse religious expression of places such as the Islamic Center (a beautiful mosque with an international membership), the National Cathedral (Episcopal), and the National Shrine (Catholic, with chapels devoted to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Our Lady of Czestochowa, Our Lady of Africa, etc.). Sample international flavors in Adams Morgan. Take in DC's answer to the Harlem Renaissance on U Street, now undergoing its own renaissance. See the residential neighborhoods of Cleveland Park and Woodley Park (where the zoo is), with their elegant apartment buildings.

Fondest memory: The monuments at night. Christmas Eve service at St. Augustine's, an African-American Catholic church. Seeing the AIDS quilt on the mall. Attending a Sweet Honey in the Rock concert at the Warner Theatre.

• nygaston's Profile Photo

take time to visit the...

by nygaston Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: take time to visit the museums.

there is big box to keep my money. but I have no money ?

Fondest memory: holocaust museum

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels