Georgetown Restaurants

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Blue Duck Taven: Best Breakfast Ever

by cjg1 Updated Feb 19, 2014

Short Rib Hash and Eggs

Whenever we stay at the Park Hyatt in Geoirgetown we come here for breakfast. Since our first meal here we have been hooked. The restaurant prides itself on locally grown and provided food; using the most natural of ingredients. The food here is the highest quality and incredibly delicious. Currently this is my favorite breakfast I’ve ever had in the continental US.

Our first visit to th Blue Duck; Indoor seating was the only thing offered on this cool late winter morning. We were lucky enough to have one of the seats right in front of the kitchen. The kitchen here is open to the restaurant and you can watch the staff as they work. This was a nice change from the usual restaurants with everything hidden behind closed walls.

For my breakfast I chose the Short Rib Hash. This was an amazing dish. It came in a metal warming dish instead of on a plate. This meant the two eggs that were sunny side up sat on top of a small pile of the short rib hash. This did make it a touch greasy, but worked rather well actually. Mixed into the hash on one side was the horseradish sauce. Next time I’ll order extra of that as it worked well with everything I ate that morning. Simply put, even with minor tweaks I’d like to see for my personal taste, this dish was amazing. I also ordered a side of bacon for us to share and an order of rye toast that I used to make sure my dish was clean before I surrendered. To drink I had a hot chocolate which was very rich and I had to cut with some milk. It was very good, but a little too rich to use as my main drink without it.

My wife ordered herself the Belgian Waffle with Glazed Pecans. She has raved about this ever since. It comes with a specialty syrup called Blis that was one of the best syrups I’ve ever had (found the syrup on line and it is incredible). She also ordered the fingerling potatoes to share. Sliced in half and lightly spiced, they were delicious. She had a lemon grass tea for breakfast as well that reminded us both of being in the Seychelles.

This wonderful breakfast was included in the stay at the hotel but I would gladly pay the $60 plus dollars it would cost plus tip to have it again if not staying at the hotel. Do be aware though that we witnessed guests being turned away for not staying at the hotel for breakfast so be sure to confirm you can get in or get a reservation if you’re not staying.

Also note that if you are a Hyatt Gold Passport member you can earn points on food here whether or not you're staying at the hotel.

Since our first visit here; we have dined here four times for breakfast and once for dinner. I can't wait for my next meal here.

• alycat's Profile Photo

Tackle Box: Go to place for quality seafood

by alycat Updated Aug 10, 2013
    Rainbow trout, corn on cob, and marinara

Located on M street in upmarket Georgetown, this is kind of a hole in the wall restaurant, but then is very spacious, well lit with natural light, and great coastal interiors.

M street and the surrounding area has some amazing food establishments that will probably cater to all your food cravings, places representing diverse ethnicities and cultures, the neighborhood is a foodie’s dream. Its a great place if you are out walking, shopping for stroll or weekend fun!

The place has 2 levels and if you want to have a great view of M street and be served, go to the upper level and they have self-serve on the lower level.

Update- we went there again the 2nd time after a few months, and the service and food was just as awesome!

Favorite Dish: This was my first time here as we were in the area to watch a movie and had the Tacke Box meal, which includes 1 type of fish, side and sauce. I went for Rainbow trout, grilled corn on cob, and spicy marinara, while my better half did tilapia, coleslaw, and Remoulade for sauce.

Everything was perfectly done, corn was sweet and soft, the sauce were tasty and tangy, and the fish was grilled just right! Will definitely come again!

• genki44's Profile Photo

Cheff Geoff's: Cheff Geoff's Sunday Jazz Brunch

by genki44 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sitting on the patio at Cheff Geoff's in Upper Georgetwon and having a leisurely Sunday brunch is an excellent way to spend a day. Surrounded by trees, nestled back away from the street, sip a mimosa and indulge in some french toast with berries, pictured here.

From Chef Geoff's website:

"Cheff Geoff's is the quintessential neighborhood restaurant serving everything from yellowfin tuna and steaks to great burgers, stone pizza pies, salads and sandwiches. Finish the meal with decadent and homey desserts like Milk and Cookies or a Chocolate Truffle Cake. Chef Geoff’s features Washington DC's best outdoor dining with over 100 seats outside. Join the neighborhood at the bar and peruse 24 beers on tap and more than 25 wines by the glass. Come on in for our live jazz Sunday brunch and enjoy our classics like Eggs Chesapeake or the Texas Scramble. "

"Chef Geoff's also offers a three course Sunset Special every day from 4:00pm until 6:30pm for only $19.95 and we have a kid’s menu that is perfect for families. The Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington nominated Chef Geoff's "Best Neighborhood Gathering Place" for 2004 and 2006."

• genki44's Profile Photo

Cheff Geoff's: Cheff Geoff's Sunday Jazz Brunch

by genki44 Updated Apr 4, 2011

From Chef Geoff's website:

Nick's Riverside Grille - Washington Harbor

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 12, 2010

Nick's Riverside Grille sits along the Potomac River in Georgetown next to the running path, and it offers great views of the nearby Kennedy Center, Washington Monument, Roosevelt Island, the Key Bridge, and the occasional sunset. To go along with the great views and al fresco dining, are some rather expensive meals.

We arrived one warm early fall evening just after sunset, and were seated at one of the table right alongside the Capitol Crescent Trail (which runs 11 miles from the nearby Thompson Boat Center to Silver Spring, Maryland). We started with beers; I ordered a Yuengling, but the bill said I got a Dos Equis or something similar, and the color difference was apparent, but still OK. The bad part of the beers is that they came in a plastic frat party cup. Really? At a place that charges around $30 per meal?

When it came time to order dinner, I was a bit surprised to see the expensive food. Their pastas started at $21, steaks began at $29, and pork ribs -- $3 a pound at your local grocery -- were a whopping $28. Not way over the top, but definitely tourist prices.

I had the lobster ravioli and my friend had the Maryland crab cakes. The ravioli were hand made and filled with a good mount of lobster, then topped with an excellent Parmesan cream sauce and diced tomatoes for a reasonable $23. Two crab cakes with french fries and corn relish was a hefty $30.

The Guards - M Street

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 12, 2010

The Guards is Georgetown's neighborhood pub. Small, and friendly, with a big bar, a few TV, and friendly staff. Not to mention good food. What more could you ask for? I swung by one cold winter night to grab dinner and stuck around for more beers than I had planned for. I arrived during a Caps game, so I plopped down in front of one of the few TVs on their overly wide stools. Their draft beers were limited to Stella, Bass, and Yuengling, so I decided on Bass at about $5.45 each. For dinner, I almost had their famous gryphon burger, but at the last minute I decided to try their inexpensive prime rib special ($17), which came with steamed broccoli and carrots and scalloped potatoes. The prime rib was fatty in places, and tough in places, but overall very flavorful, and the sides were good. I ended up sticking around for about four beers listening to their odd variety of music, and eavesdropping on the neighboring conversations, as I was sandwiched between the airhead blond 20-something and the quirky, rich 70 year old.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Martin's Tavern a.k.a. Billy Martin's: The Best Soft Shell Crab and Crab Cakes

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Nov 11, 2009

Martin's Tavern Before A Chocolate Martini

UPDATE 2009:
    I haven't been to Martin's Tavern in quite some time now, but I sent my sister there the last time she was in Washington. I told her that the crab cakes were delicious. She tried them and was disappointed. She also told me that most of the restaurants do not get their crabs from Maryland anymore. Apparently they come from Maylasia or some such country. I was shocked. What a disappointment.

ORIGINIA COMMENT:
    Martin's Tavern, a.k.a. Billy Martin's, is my favorite restaurant in Georgetown. When I am in town, I never miss a chance to go there and eat either the Maryland crabcakes or the softshell crab. Wonderful! The crabcakes have very little breading and in my opinion are the best I have eaten anywhere.

They also serve great hamburgers and Welsh rarebit.

They make an absolutely delicious chocolate martini.

The atmosphere is very cozy and sort of pub like.

Favorite Dish: Crab cakes, soft shell crab, welsh rarebit.

What makes Martin's crabcakes different from all the others I have eaten is that that there are big chunks of the crabmeat and just enough bread to hold them together. Since I am in the process of becoming a crabcake maven, I eat them when I see them on the menu. All others that I have eaten are mostly bread and the worst part of the crab.

Chocolate Martini

• Women's Travel

• descant1's Profile Photo

Tony & Joe's Seafood Place: Fresh seafoods with great ambiance.

by descant1 Written Aug 18, 2009

Check out this Georgetown Waterfront restaurant if you're visiting the Washington D.C. area. Located on the edge of Potomac River and if you like a gentle summer breeze blowing you hair while you're dining, choose the outside seating area. There's a catch though, if you want to dine outside? each is obliged to order an entree. They have wide variety of seafood selections on the menu but of course steak is their specialty too. I ordered a Bouillabaisse out of curiosity or maybe because it sounds French? and it was great. Well it was an extravagance of lobster,mussels, clams and shrimp with scallops and fish, gently simmered in saffron seasoned tomato broth, served with rice.

Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory - M Street

by Ewingjr98 Written Apr 28, 2009

Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory has good sandwiches, but the place is hot as blazes in the summer and is kind of a dump. Oh, and the service is lame. At least the food is good.

We stopped in one hot spring day to grab a sandwich to take down to the waterfront for a little impromptu picnic. The outside temperature was a sweltering 90+ degrees, and inside the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory? Yup, about the same.

The order-taker lady was sitting at a table in the restaurant gabbing on the phone, and maybe two or three minutes later she noticed us and put her conversation on hold. We ordered a hot Philly sandwich with mushrooms, sweet peppers, and sauteed onions and a cold deli sandwich to go and waited in the empty dining room. I checked out the photos of some of the celebrities who have eaten here like Rick Santorum and Charlton Heston. Meanwhile, Laura excused herself to use the disgusting restrooms.

Our sandwiches were ready in about five minutes. We walked down to the edge of the Potomac at Waterfront Park and enjoyed two very large and tasty sandwiches that were about $7 each. Good price for a nice meal.

They have two other locations in the region: McLean and Alexandria, Virginia.

Los Cuates - Wisconsin Ave, Georgetown

by Ewingjr98 Written Mar 11, 2009

We wandered around Georgetown for about 30 minutes one afternoon before settling on a new place to eat. We decided to walk up Wisconsin Avenue, a little of the beaten M Street path. We passed a few deli, Thai, French, pizza and more before deciding to try a nice little Mexican place called Los Cuates.

We were seated right in front of one of the large windows overlooking the street at a cozy table for two. Our meals started with free light and crispy chips with some pretty mild, yet fresh salsa. We also had a margarita and a Tecate beer. For our main courses I had the Tacos al Carbon ($10) and Laura had the chicken enchilada ($9). Both meals came with Mexican rice, refried beans, guacamole, pico de gallo, and sour cream. The enchiladas came in a pair with shredded chicken, cheese, and green sauce, but I wasn't overly impressed with the chicken. The soft shell steak tacos, on the other hand, might have been the best Mexican dish I've ever had. The steak was well-spiced, tender, and juicy, and it came with salted drawn butter for dipping... do die for!

After our meal we relaxed for about an hour with a few more drinks, and just enjoyed watching the people go by. At this point, we were the only customers left in the restaurant, we the wait staff made us feel very relaxed.

Overall, the food is good (especially the tacos al carbon), the service was very friendly, and the lunch prices fair for nice sized dishes.

The Daily Grill -- Georgetown

by Ewingjr98 Written Mar 10, 2009

The Daily Grill is a more upscale restaurant serving food throughout the day. We went on Sunday when they feature Sunday Brunch of omelets, huevos rancheros, and other main courses along with fruit, coffee, and toast. We got there late, so I had a club sandwhich, which was excellent except for the overabundance of avacado on the sandwhich--I'll get it on the side next time. My friends had a hamburger (slightly overcooked) and the huevos ranhceros (they must have been excellent the way he scarfed them down!).

They have a good variety of coffees and cappuccinos as well as a fully stocked bar and free refills on soft drinks.

The Daily Grill is a very small national chain with branches in California, Illinois, Maryland, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington, DC. The original location is in Beverly Hills, and now 20 other locations exist, most in California.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Nick's Riverside Grille: Fresh Catch on the Water

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 6, 2007

Nick's is a great place to meet friends for a drink and or a meal, as it is located right in the heart of the Washington Harbour in Georgetown. It has a pretty stock standard meal selection with fish, pasta, and chicken dishes. We decided to go very traditional for this area, and ordered the crab cakes. They were good, not the best I have enjoyed, but the ambience made up for it.

We sat in the section that was outside, which was perfect for this sunny April day. I had a great view of the Kennedy Center, while my co-workers had the view of the sun setting over the bridge. Both were perfectly well received, and every spot had a great view of the tourists and locals who were heading to their various activities and destinations.

Favorite Dish: The crab cakes is all I enjoyed, washed down nicely by a bottle of red wine.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Mr. Smiths: Mr Smith Goes to Washington

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 6, 2007

After our appetizers on the waterfront, we decided to venture up the road and see whatelse we could sample in Georgetown. We came across one of the restaurants in my list of places where I get bonus miles from American Airlines (aa.rewardsnetwork.com) and decided to put it to the test. In the front was a stock standard bar, with several patrons. As we went to the back however, we noticed there was a very nice open air courtyard for sampling of the wares. We chose to try the Spinach and Artichoke dip, which was very creamy and well prepared. We also tried the Yuengling Beer, which was contrary to popular belief, not from China. One of my Asian counterparts was disappointed by this fact, which led to later ribbing. On a previous visit years ago, I enjoyed the "Super Pumper" which was a glorified club sandwich, which was also tasty. If you get a chance, head on over to see Mr. Smith.

Favorite Dish: Lunches from $8, Dinners from $12

• Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Alamo Grill of Georgetown: Great Mexican food but...

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 13, 2006

ALAMO GRILL OF GEORGETOWN

It's my recomendation for budget visitors who loves cosy atmosphere, great Mexican food and can afford a bit slow and even partly unfriendly service :-(. Well, maybe my waiter had worse day or maybe the owner already had released him.

This 2-floor restaurant, located just a few steps from shopping M street grabbed my attention immediatelly: the Southwestern saloon facade in dusty yellows, bright blue windows, numerous small lights on balconies upstairs and a few tables put down outside on a peaceful street. And they served Mexican food, I had fallen in love since my first long US trip (the West) in 2003.

We were served in the beginning by a woman who was very nice and patient. She helped us to choose and order meals. But then a young guy replaced her. He was simply unfriendly, maybe even a bit rude. Well, he refused to answer my questions on food. He told "wait a few minutes, I am busy" although there were almost no consumers. Well, he was busy talking loudly with someone by a cell phone. Then he came back, he was nervous and fast and didn't follow my suggestion to speak slower... I couldn't understant a word what he said with strange accent (local?) and I had to give up. Well, at the end he brought a receive put it on the table and wrote on it "plus 18% tip obligatory." When I asked about it he simply replied that all MUST pay at least 18% for his service. Hmm... no comments. I didn't see any notice in the manu about obligatory tips. I was confused and eventually paid that 18% (almost 18%) - in total almost $40 for two with beer and water.

Favorite Dish: I would rate the food I ate 4 or even 5-star but this waiter lowers my overall rank.
    We had traditional Mexican enchilada, beef burrito and tortilla soup. I liked especially Alamo's sauces. Add free chips and salsa. The worst was Budweiser beer, too light for me (almost water :-).

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

The 1789: The Washingtonian Calls This A Georgetown Legend

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 30, 2006

Though I haven't eaten here in years, this restaurant only gets the very best reviews, so I am sure that it is still a fabulous place to go. It is extremely elegant so you wouldn't even consider going here unless you were dressed in your best. In fact a jacket is required of the men making it one of the few places left that does so.

You may want to choose this restaurant to celebrate your child's entrance to or graduation from Georgetown University or just for a very special occasion. It is especially pretty at holiday time.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Georgetown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Georgetown sightseeing.

Georgetown Members Meetings