Georgetown Restaurants

Apple Pie & Honeycomb Ice Cream

Most Recent Restaurants in Georgetown

Sequoia: Great Place On A Sunday Afternoon

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 25, 2006

Sequoia is owned by the same restaurant group,that owns the Bryant Grill in Bryant Park behind the Fifth Ave librairy in NYC. Years ago, it housed Nathan's Plum, owned by Warner Leroy of Tavern On The Green fame. I liked it better then because I was a big Nathan's Plum fan, but Washingtonians apparently did not, so now it is, and has been for a long time, Sequoia. It really is in a wonderful location right on the Potomac River in Georgetown. It is a great place to go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and sit outside either having lunch or something to drink at the bar. When I lived in Washington, I used to love to go there and I have some great tales about my adventures there.

My oldest son and his wife had their wedding reception there too and I think it can be reserved for parties.

As for the food, it is basically good, but not absolutely great American.

• Seniors

Clyde's Of Georgetown: Great Atmosphere and Good American Food

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 25, 2006

When I was attending college in Washington, DC, the original Clydes opened on M Street. At the time girls did not go to bars without a guy. How things have changed. In fact I think it changed the year after I graduated from college, because I started seeing women, not only in Clydes, but also other places without being on the arm of a man. I even worked up the courage to go with some of my girlfriends. This was no easy thing after having been sheltered in Catholic girls schools and colleges all my life.

Clydes was definitely the place to go. Young women went there with dreams of meeting a congressmen or a senator (this was when we were still impressed with politicians--during the days of the Kennedys), or some potentially successful young man.

Clyde's of Georgetown is the original restaurant of the Georgetown Group.

The other restaurants are:

Clyde's, Old Ebbitt Grill, Tower Oaks Lodge and The Tombs -- serving casual American food in a casual but fun setting. Dress can be whatever.

1789 Restaurant -- very elegant upscale restaurant. Dress is formal and you wont be able to order a hamburger here.

To know where other Georgetown Group restaurants are see website below.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers.

• Study Abroad

Paolo's: Good Italian Food, Fun,

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 24, 2006

Paolo's, Georgetown, Washington, DC  2006

This was my hangout in my hayday after my divorce about 20 years ago. It was a very trendy place at the time and we had lots of fun here. The food was good, California Italian, i.e. you wont find it in Italy.

I have not been there in about 5 years because when I am in town visiting friends we usually end up at Martins Tavern -- a.k.a. Billy Martins -- across the street so I can get my Maryland crab fix.

It is frequented by politicians--as are a lot of restaurants, of course--students, people out for an afternoon stroll, Georgetown residents, lady's who lunch, and people coming in from the suburbs among others.

1303 Wisconsin Ave, NW
    (202) 333-7353

Monday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 11:30 PM
    (Bar - last call @ 1:30 AM - Pizzas served until 12:30 AM)
    Friday & Saturday: 11:30 AM - 12:30 AM
    (Bar - last call @ 2:30 AM - Pizzas served until 1:30 AM)
    Sunday: 11:00 AM - 11:30 PM
    (Bar - last call @ 1:30 AM - Pizzas served until 12:30 AM)

Favorite Dish: I particularly liked the pizza and the spaghetti. They also made a pretty good sidecar.

• Seniors

The Tombs: University and Locals' Hangout, Fun Atmosphere

by ForestqueenNYC Written Jul 24, 2006

The Tombs has a pub like atmosphere and is a hangout for Georgetown University students and local residents. I often went there with my aunt who lived on 35th Street. The atmosphere is noisy, but fun. It is downstairs from the upscale 1789 restaurant.

Like the 1789 and Clydes it is part of the Georgetown Group.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers are good here. Don't order the pecan pie. Unless they have changed recently, the crust is not great. Probably can be said for all their pies, but not sure.

• Rich62's Profile Photo

CHADWICKS: GREAT AMBIANCE, GREAT SEAFOOD

by Rich62 Written Nov 19, 2005

OUR TABLE AT CHADWICKS; A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL

The food was very good, so was the service. This restaurant is loaded with ambiance. It doesn't try too hard to have a "theme", it just is what it is. It has a nice bar in one area and tables on two levels.

But Chadwicks is famous for something unrelated to food. Supposedly, the famed spy Aldrich Ames met with his Soviet counterpart here to pass information on to the Soviet Union. Mr. Ames can't eat here anymore, he is dining on prison food, but you can enjoy Chadwicks all you want! My wife and I agree, after spending six days in the DC area, this is one of the two best restaurants we found, and we would go back!

Favorite Dish: My wife loved the Reuben Sandwich, and I loved the Crabcake Sandwich.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Vietnam Georgetown Restaurant: Good Vietnamese Food in Georgetown

by rmdw Written Aug 30, 2003

Along one of the main streets of Georgetown (M Street) is a very good Vietnamese restaurant. Opened in 1973, it provides a wide variety of Vietnamese food.

We found the quality of service to vary like night & day (pun intended). Our first time there, in the evening, the service was professional, prompt, and courteous. The food was so good that we came back around noon the next day to get some snacks for the road. But the service, this time by an older fellow was atrocious ... and we were just ordering takeout! (Note: I'd be curious to get feedback from other people who go here during the day. If this was just a onetime bad experience then I'll gladly revise this.)

Favorite Dish: The standard by which I compare Vietnamese restaurants involves two things: Beef noodle "soup" and "salad" or summer rolls, which aren't deep fried. The soup here was quite good. The summer rolls were excellent!

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Georgetown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Georgetown sightseeing.

Georgetown Members Meetings