Know about this? Rate It!
Many visitors go to the...
Many visitors go to the various parks within the district, but don't get a chance to go to the C&O Canal. The canal starts in Georgetown and runs quite a distance into Maryland. There is ofcourse the requisite towpath that is open to walkers, hikers, bikers and in some spots, horses. The canal and the Potomac river offer various water sports as well as picnicking. There are spots in Maryland along the towpath that offer bikes, canoes and kayaks for rent at very reasonable prices. I personally made it a point to go kayaking as often as possible. For anyone who enjoys being outdoors, or even a nice nature walk, the C&O Canal towpath is a great place to go.
DC is a city, not just a...
DC is a city, not just a collection of great monuments and wonderful musea. (Musea is the correct plural of museum. Trust me. *grin*.) The best stuff in DC is all the cool things the locals do: the great ethnic restaurants, the nice parks, the swanky salsa clubs. Above all, check out Great Falls on the Potomac west of town. The Billy Goat trail is a great hike taking you through some of the best landscapes on the East Coast. It's very strenuous, but well worth the effort.
There are restaurants and places to sit and watch the Potomac on a pleasant afternoon.
Washington Harbor is just down the hill from Georgetown.
C & O Canal Barges
Ride the mule driven barge up the C & O Canal from Georgetown. Enjoy the talk by the costumed narrators.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Parma Hotels
- Minorca Island
- Chico Hot Springs Hotels
- Malang Hotels
- Kaiserebersdorf Hotels
- Orlando Off The Beaten Path
- Rome Off The Beaten Path
- Indiana Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Dallas Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Berlin
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Memphis Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Trondheim Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path