Cactus Cantina, Washington D.C.

4 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

3300 Wisconsin Avenue NW (202) 686-7222

Cinco de Mayo at Cactus Cantina
    by PA2AKgirl
  • PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Cactus Cantina: Tex-Mex in NW

by PA2AKgirl Written Jan 18, 2004

Cinco de Mayo at Cactus Cantina

This place is a fun place to have dinner and a few drinks. The food is decent, you definitely get a lot, but the outdoor seating is why we go in the summer. Also, we went on Cinco De Mayo which was a good choice...
    The only problem with this place is that it gets very crowded, so you have to be very patient if you want the outdoor seating. We tend to hang out at the bar for a long time before dinner and by the time we get served, we don't want our food because we had so much to drink. I guess that's really my problem, though:)

Favorite Dish: It's typical Tex-Mex, so any dish is pretty good. Like I said, the portions are huge.

• MrGQ's Profile Photo

Thanks to the DC area's...

by MrGQ Written Sep 8, 2002

Thanks to the DC area's resident communities of diplomats and diverse ethnic comminities, you can get a decent meal in a host of diverse ethnic cuisines: Ethiopian, Somalian, Italian, Japanese, Eritrean, Salvadoran, Peruvian, Greek, Caribbean, Korean, Brazilian, West African, Spanish, Mexican, Lebanese, French, Chinese, Thai, Indian, and Vietnamese (sorry if I missed any ethnic group due to space). And thanks to the resident communities of lobbyists, lawyers, and sentors and congresmen you can get a pricey steak and a decent glass of Scotch on practically any block downtown.

Primi Piatti: The place for Pizza in DC. Here not only do you get a wood-fired pie with luxe toppers like wild mushrooms, gorgonzola, and prosciutto, but you get the whole Primi Piatti experience: the modern dining room with gleaming rosewood, swirled gold-and-blue panels that bring Florence to mind; the open kitchen, all flash and drama to make you go Oooooh Mamamia!

Being part Greek I had to mentioned at least one Greek resturant! It is tough choosing one since there are many great ones. Still this one stands out IMO (in my own opnion)

Athena Pallas: Its almost like being in Greece:the classical friezes on the walls and geraniums swaying on the patio. And like the Greeks who gather at the corner ouzo bar at the day's end to gossip and nibble on mezedes.

Go for main courses specialties. Petite oregano-studded lamb chops, pork chops Greek-style, and lamb kebabs are all tops. And lemon-and-herb-marinated chicken that takes 30 minutes to cook.

Finish the meal with a tray of Baklava and if you want to get in 'the mood' ouzo is worth trying at least once!

Nico my wallet is on a diet .. can you help? Sure! DC does have some good value resturants. Try Cactus Cantina a Tex Mex resturant with an ethnic musical atmosphere. If you're a lamb lover ( I mean food wise you sickos!) then Mama Ayesha's is the place to go! Its a Lebanese/Greek resturant.

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels