Georgia Brown’s, Washington D.C.

4.5 out of 5 stars 7 Reviews

by tpangelinan
  • olddude's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown's: One of the best

by olddude Updated Jul 17, 2008

This has got to be my favorite restaurant in DC. Everything about it is great! If you like good southern cooking in a nice atmosphere, then this is the place for you. It is perfect to get a cocktail after hard day of touring the city or getting a table for a romantic dinner. It may be a little pricey, but it is well worth it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish has to be the pork chops...followed very closely by the fried green tomatoes.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown’s: Real Southern Cuisine in Washington

by Tom_Fields Written Jul 12, 2007

Georgia Brown's

I had the Sunday brunch at Georgia Brown's. It's the best I've had in a long time--maybe the best ever. It includes not only the buffet but also an additional entree (which most diners take home for later). And to top it all off, the place has a live jazz band. How much better could it get? Also, don't miss the cocktails; they're outstanding.

Well, it's not cheap, but worth doing once in a while. And it's right downtown, close to the Mall and museums.

Favorite Dish: The Sunday brunch.

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown’s: Stupendous Southern Cooking

by Jase1177 Written Dec 11, 2006

This was a fantastic restaurant! Luckily it is about a block from my office and made for a last minute Friday dinner. The atmosphere is an odd mix of very casual attire (jeans, t-shirts, etc) and the business folks (suits, ties, dresses, etc). So, I suspect that you can feel comfortable regardless of how you are dressed.

The food was quite delicious. It wouldn't be a southern restaurant without cornbread (this was sweetened). I had the crab bisque to start, which was quite yummy. For my main course, I had the Pan Roasted Blackberry Duck Breast with Andouille and Cheddar Grits, sauteed Spinach and Sweet and Sour Blackberry Sauce. The duck was cooked to the right tenderness and the blackberry sauce made an interesting contrasting flavors. For my first experience with grits, I was pleased with it. Having discovered a love of spinach in my adult life (few kids appreciate the flavors), I was glad that the sauteed spinach was prepared well. My dinner companion was quite pleased with the fried chicken as well.

This is definitely a restaurant to try when you are in town because the southern twist is great.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown’s: We had the Sunday Jazz Brunch, WOW!

by tpangelinan Written Apr 24, 2005

The 5 Tier Chocolate Fountain

This is a very up-town brunch. I would feel out of place here in jeans and sneakers. We got pretty dressed up and I was glad. There is no parking garage available on Sunday, no valet parking and no lot we could find so parking was doggie-dog. Couples were holding spots with their bodies and communicating via cell phone to get a parking spot. That's a bit much for me on a Sunday morning. The Jazz is loud, and the wall we ate next to made it private, but also cut us off from the rest of the restaurant. The food and service are excellent! The food was fresh, and some of the best I have ever had. The chocolate fountain is to die for. The french toast was...I am hungry just thinking about it. This was a Brunch Experience, no doubt.

Favorite Dish: You will leave with a meal to go, so it is Brunch and Dinner if you do it right!
    The Chocolate Fountain is the best part.
    Fresh berries are everywhere. You will love this place. I would like to go back for dinner sometime, but wouldn't do the Jazz brunch again. It was over $100.00 for 2 people for brunch. A mimosa was $9.95 OMG. The food was special, and all in all it was a great experience.

• starfawn's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown’s: Fried green tomatoes -excellent!

by starfawn Written Apr 6, 2004

The atmosphere of this restaurant is great and the food is even better. It is southern cuisine and southern hospitality. It is also one of my favorite restaurants in D.C. The fried green tomatoes are must and do not skip dessert. This is not a budget restaurant but you definitely get your moneys worth. Here is a link http://www.gbrowns.com/default.aspx.

• Sweet Georgia Brown's: Sweet Georgia Brown's

by garciam Written Aug 26, 2002

This is the most recommended place for authentic soul food. It is on the expensive side yet it's an investment for such rich cultural food. It is open in the evenings only for dinner and a Sunday brunch.

Favorite Dish: Everything is tantalizing to your taste buds, go ahead and try it all!

• taxing's Profile Photo

Georgia Brown's: Delicious...

by taxing Written Aug 25, 2002

Georgia Brown's: Delicious real Southern food. Fried chicken, catfish, okra--the real thing. Be aware though this is a top of the line restaurant, and it's not cheap. It's downtown near the White House at 950 15th St NW. http://www.gbrowns.com/
    Check out other restaurants and menus at www.opentable.com

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels