Lebanese Taverna, Washington D.C.

4.5 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

by cjg1
  • Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Lebanese Taverna Restaurant - Woodley Park/Zoo

by Ewingjr98 Updated Feb 20, 2009

After a visit to the zoo one morning, we were looking for lunch before heading back to work (tough life we live, huh?). We planned to try the Afghan Grill on the corner of Calvert and Connecticut, but they were not open at 11:30 despite their sign stating their opening time was 11:00 daily; the lone guy sweeping the floor said he had no idea when the other workers would show up... nice.

Our next option was a similar style of food: Lebanese. Lucky for us the Lebanese Taverna is just around the corner on Connecticut Street. We walked in the front door at 11:25, but they don't officially open until 11:30, so we waited by the entrance and looked at the menu. Promptly at 11:30, we were seated in the large, open restaurant. We started with water and Diet Coke, then both of us ordered shawarmas, that came with french fries, salad, and a heaping basket of fresh, warm, soft bread that we dipped in olive oil. The shawarmas were excellent: marinated beef and lamb roasted on a rotisserie, served with tahini sauce, lettuce and tomato for $10.50. The salad was also tasty and the fries were your classic crispy and very lighted salty variety.

Lebanese Taverna was started in Arlington in 1979 by a family of Lebanese immigrants. Since then it has expanded throughout the DC and Baltimore areas to include six restaurants, four cafes, and a Lebanese market.

• tspeegle09's Profile Photo

Lebanese Taverna: Your International Shop and Dine

by tspeegle09 Written Jun 30, 2008
    Exterior of Arlington location

One of the great things about D.C. is that it's a very eclectic place with a multitude of restaurants offering international cuisine. Lebanese Taverna is a market/restaurant that sells and serves Middle Eastern foods. It's a pretty cosmopolitan place that is frequented by local shoppers and diners. Their markets/cafes/restaurants are located in different places around the DC area, so check their website for a location nearest you.

Favorite Dish: I've only ever had their tabouli and hummus (some of the best I've had, not like the store-bought kind), but a friend of mine shops there all the time and loves it.

• Singles

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Lebanese Taverna: VT Meeting

by cjg1 Updated Apr 24, 2008

My first VT Meeting.

The place was great. I honestly don't remember much about the food though. We were there for the meeting and that is what it was all about.

And with this started the full on addiction that quickly swept the nation and the world. So many VTers I met here are still among the active ones and it is always great to run into them again elsewhere.

• Lebanese Taverna: Elegant Middle Eastern Cusine

by peach93 Written Mar 2, 2005

Labanese Taverna

This is such a wonderful restaurant. If you like Middle Eastern food I highly recommend eating here. It is a bit outside of the downtown on Connecticut Avenue, but there is a Metro stop arcoss the street and a parking garage behind the building from which you can get your ticket validated at the restaurant. Parking on the street is allowed here, but not during the hours of 4 -6 PM when traffic is heaviest. Did I mention our waiter? Dear God. My girlfriend kept having to slap me! :)

Favorite Dish: We just ended up ordering a whole bunch of appetizers for our dinner because we couldn't decide what to get, but this was a great way to try a lot of things. They also have a great wine list.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Lebanese Taverna: Middle Eastern near the National Zoo

by Dabs Updated Oct 19, 2004

Lebanese Taverna

I stopped by here after visiting the zoo, there's a stretch of Connecticut Avenue just after the Woodley Park/zoo metro stop that has a myriad of different cuisines. I had read about Lebanese Taverna so I stopped here after reluctantly bypassing French and Italian.

But it was a good choice, it was still warm enough to dine al fresco, the service was prompt and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I couldn't decide what I wanted to try so I tried three appetizer portions (2 would have been enough food). The calamari was fried with a yogurt dipping sauce, the chicken shawarma was chicken with tomatoes, onions and a yogurty dip.

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels