Places to eat in Washington D.C.

restaurants inside UNION station
    by mindcrime
    dahl with naan
    by richiecdisc
    clyde's
    by doug48

Most Viewed Restaurants in Washington D.C.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Childe Harold: Dupon Circle Neighborhood

by hunterV Updated Jul 14, 2014

We - a group of thirty Ukrainian and thirty Russian educators, national winners of "Partners in Education" teachers exchange program - had our farewell dinner at this splendid place in October, 1999, before leaving for the designed states to have our internship.
    There were sixty teachers from Ukraine and Russia all in all, and our hosts from the American Councils for International Education.
    After the dinner we presented our holiday program that we had prepared beforehand.
    After our program our hosts from the ACIE (American Councils for International Education) sang a song in return... It was "This Land Is My Land, This Land Is Your Land"...
    You should have seen the tears of happiness in our eyes...

Favorite Dish: The menu was great and we also appreciated the restaurant's proximity to Dupon Circle, its cosy atmosphere and fireplaces.

At Our hosts are singing for us....Thanks! Our group has arrived to De Pere Long live America the Beautiful! After the memorable visit to the White House
    • Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• aphrodyte's Profile Photo

Au Bon Pain: Carbs disguised as fantastic brunch food

by aphrodyte Written Feb 21, 2014

Great place to start your day.

It is one of your better options as far as menu choices are concerned. The coffee is above average, lattes and cappuccinos are made to order. They advertise freshly brewed from 100% Arabica beans, responsibly grown in pesticide-free orchards. Pastries include Bagels, Croissants, Muffins, Danishes, Cinnamon Roll, Brownies, Cupcakes, Torsades, Pecan Roll, Pound Cakes, Cookies, Scones, and Strudels.

Nutritional information is readily available, and as long as you don't overdo it, you actually have a good range of selections here. The soups, for the most part, are probably the ideal selections, especially in this location - there are usually at least four to five different types available at any one time, and the carb counts for most of them are low. They often offer Italian wedding soup, the broccoli cheddar, and the chicken gumbo (when it's available),

To top that all off, they also offer several signature sandwiches, standard cold and hot sandwiches, wraps, salads, and pastas.

This is a restaurant chain that I've only seen here in Washington DC, I would find them similar to Panera Bread if you are familiar them instead.

Free WIFI and very friendly service.

Favorite Dish: What didn't we order??

Let's see...
    Turkey Club
    Caramel Cappucino

Elephant and Castle: Irish. Pub. DC

by John195123 Written Feb 10, 2014

Irish, ok. Pub? Got it. In DC: fine. But what's with the Elephant? I mean, Irish Setter... something I'm missing, obviously. Regardless, this is a neat place. While E&C doesn't have the dimmer, lived-in feel of a favorite neighborhood pub, it has TVs for the games, a great selection of drinks and good food. So who cares about the name!

Favorite Dish: It was cold in DC when I went. Fortunately, on that December day, E&C made me some fish and chips that was quite good, and the pint of Guinness provided that illusion of warmth for the long walk back to the hotel.

It's good pub food, and I haven't had a chance to sample much of the menu. That said, if you're in DC and craving Irish food, it'll definitely do the trick.

Chinatown Express: Hand-Pulled Noodles

by John195123 Written Feb 10, 2014

Ambience is about par for a genuine Chinese restaurant. That is, it feels like a real Chinese restaurant in China, which is a good thing! Service is fast, though a bit curt at times? I only went once so I can't vouch for other days or other staff. If you're in Chinatown, it's good for a quick bite- there are other places to eat too!

Favorite Dish: There is quite a menu, but opt for the hand-pulled noodles for a more authentic dish.

• John195123's Profile Photo

Founding Farmers: BREAKFAST! (and more)

by John195123 Written Feb 10, 2014

This is a loud, bustling place that serves great food. Good service and a great feel make Founding Farmers definitely worth a stop.

Favorite Dish: Most everything is good here, but I've only been once, so I can recommend the French Toast! They also have a unique selection of phosphates, house-made sodas and juices. They have much more than breakfast, a great drinks list... it's one of those places to experience.

Restaurant Nora: Incredible Place

by John195123 Updated Feb 10, 2014

One of the hallmarks of a good restaurant is a good staff. Nora's staff was just that. Attentive, and knowledgeable, the staff handled a good-sized room full of wedding guests without breaking a sweat. Our bartender even offered me a taste of an expensive bourbon, just because I'm from Kentucky and appreciated the bourbons they had available.

So the food. I am not a picky eater by any standard. I eat most anything, from street vendor to award winning. It is, however, difficult for me to find restaurants that actually live up to their hype or reputation. Standards may change depending on expectations, but many restaurants that people say are great, just don't do it for me- at least not consistently. Yes, I'm a foodie, but I appreciate every style and level of food: a pizza may be a pizza, but there's great pizza and bad pizza. Anyway, Nora's lived up to what my friend, fellow foodie (and the groom at this wedding) said it was supposed to be.

In the cozy, intimate atmosphere of the upstairs dining room, Nora's had some of the best meat I've had anywhere... I could go on about the food, but it's worth just exploring the place.

Favorite Dish: Haven't tried it all, but I doubt you'd be disappointed! Nora claims to be America's first Certified Organic restaurant, a claim I don't doubt, but I'm more interested in the taste of the offerings here than their relative health. Chef Nora Pouillon made an incredible seared, grass-fed filet mignon for us, but the gnocchi and the black cod were excellent as well. Just go!

Matchbox (Chinatown): Good Food; nice location

by cjg1 Updated Jan 8, 2014

We decided to have a late lunch/early dinner here as we were in the general area sightseeing. Matchbox has two locations in the D.C area; we are accustomed to the one close to my sister's house but this was out first time at their Chinatown location.

This location is smaller in size to their other restaurant but we still managed to get a table despite it being very busy. We had a seat at a corner booth and started to peruse the drink and food offerings. I decided I would have a beer to drink while my wife and Lydia both had Sky and cranberry. The waitress checked all of our Id's and actually laughed when she saw how old I was.

As for our entrees I couldn't resist the pulled pork sandwich on the menu. My wife chose their individual serving of peperoni pizza and Lydia chose a cheeseburger. Our drinks arrived quickly and we were so happy to rest our tired feet and be out of the frigid cold. When our food arrived we were starving and dug right in. I loved my juicy pulled pork; it so much hit the spot. Liz loved her pizza and said the peperoni were very spicy; after trying one I did agree as well. Lydia enjoyed her burger as well. Service here was very good and friendly from the host to our wait staff.

After our meal we were just too full to partake in their delicious sounding desserts but maybe next time.

Pepperoni Pizza Pulled Pork Sandwich Cheeseburger

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Flavors of India: Cheap Indian

by albaaust Written Jan 8, 2014

This restaurant was on the trek back from Foggy Bottom to George Town. It was cheap but the food was good. The staff were also very friendly. We enjoyed it so much that we went back for a second time. I notice it also has some great reviews on YELP

Favorite Dish: Chicken Korma

• Museum Visits

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Outside Le'Enfant Plaza Metro: Fast food from a van

by albaaust Written Jan 7, 2014

If you are wanting to sample street fast food from a van there was a whole lot of vans outside the Le’Enfant Plaza metro station around lunch time. I expect they were there to serve the numerous office workers who work for the Department of Housing and Transportation just behind the subway station.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Amelia's: Deep In Crystal City

by lmkluque Updated Dec 10, 2013

After a morning of touring it was nice to get off the Metro at the Crystal City station. To my surprise, I found there, a huge underground shopping mall with a lovely restaruant. I stopped in, for a relaxing lunch at Amelia's Restaurant. Named after the famous female aviator. The decor included early flight memorabilia, even an old plane and though it was completely underground, the ceiling reached ground to catch the sun from skylights.

Update:

Amelia's seems to have disappeared. It was not far from the station stop.

Though I think Amelia's Restaurant is no longer open under that name, my guess is that there will be another restaurant taking it's spot. The mall was originally called, " A turn-of-the-century shopping village," and that's just how it felt as I walked around. I know that some changes have been made over the years, but this is still considered a nice area, so I'd suggest stopping there and trying one of the restaurants that look interesting to you.

Crystal City is a commercial and residential section of Arlington, VA. The buildings at street level are connected by huge underground passages that can be entered from the Crystal City Metro stop service by the Blue or Yellow Line. (Just before reaching the Pentagon City station--or just after it, depending on your travel direction.) These underground passages are full of shops and restaurants, connected to the buildings above ground and are especially nice during winter months.

Favorite Dish: At Amelia's I had the Cobb Salad with a glass of white wine.

Underground Restaurant
    • Adventure Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• alycat's Profile Photo

Chinatown Express: Chinatown flavors

by alycat Written Sep 10, 2013

Located in the heart of Chintown DC, this Zagat rated hangout is pretty neat. When I eat at restros, I avoid pork and meat that is not halal, and they were very understanding of the fact. They assured me that they use different pans and utensils to make each new dish and it is washed and cleaned after each preparation. They don't have to do this to be a good restaurant as my specification is definitely not a norm, but it is reassuraing that they have separate pans for cooking veg and meat dishes. They make their food tangy and spicy to suit your taste.

Well, that story apart, you should def try this place out. The weather was great so we sat outside for our dinner. The service was prompt and the place clean. Definitely recommended!

Favorite Dish: Well, for first timers, I cant say I have a fav here, but we had the jumbo Shrimp with Vegetables and Vegetarian Chinese Chow Fooo Mein. The taste was different from a lot of other Chinese places I have eaten and it was definitely good.

Jumbo Shrimp with Vegetables On the spot noodle!
    • Adventure Travel

• staindesign's Profile Photo

DC Metro Food Tours: Food Tours!

by staindesign Written Aug 17, 2013

You get historical and local info during a food tour. It's best to think of a food tour as historical tour with a food bonus! ;-)

The tours are divided up by area or neighborhood. You get to try a little something at each place where you stop. There is usually 8-10 stops. And you will be full at the end. The food is amazing local delicacies and local chef specialties. Maybe braised ribs at one place, and local sustainable dairy used in hand made ice cream at another. It is also important to mention, foodies take these tours. Foodies are really cool and interesting people. So it's impossible to have a bad time.

*I wasn't able to do a food tour, bc of our lack of time. But I have done them in other cities, it is always an awesome experience. And this company was recommended to me by a foodie friend that I would trust with my pallet any day of the week.

Favorite Dish: Most companies have several tours to choose from. I suggest choosing a tour that will give you the biggest range of foods to try. That means I wouldn't do an ice cream tour or a Little Italy tour. I'd do a neighborhood tour.

• Luxury Travel

Matchbox: Great Food and Interesting Interiors

by cjg1 Updated Jun 18, 2013

My wife and I came here for lunch with my sister and my two nieces after a day at the Zoo. Matchbox is right around the block from my sisters house so it was an easy walk back to her place. My sister said the kids love this place and the food is good so I was happy to try it out.

The restaurant is a really cool place with a nice vibe. The space is large with two levels, outdoor seating and a large bar area. The walls are the best with lots of exposed brick. We were seated at a booth on the second level. The booths are quite large; we were able to fit three adults and two kids with tons of space for bags,toys and jackets.

The menu here has a bit of everything; sandwiches, pizza, salads, burgers, pasta and more substantial fare. After perusing the menu I knew I had to have their Lamb sandwich. My wife chose the steak sandwich. The kids had a variety of items; pizza, fuit salad and chicken. I don't remember what my sister had but it was a salad.

The food here was very good; my lamb sandwich was delcious. My wife also enjoyed her steak sandwich but couldn't finsih it all. Anna helped her finish up her french fries; boy that kid can eat. Just when I thought it doesn't get better than this; a pan of piping hot cinnamon rolls appeared for dessert. Absolute yum! The kids were happy for those sticky little rolls and so were we.

Steak Sandwich Yum, Cinnamon Buns

Blue Duck Tavern: Great Apple Pie

by cjg1 Updated Jun 18, 2013

After we had a dissapointing dinner in Georgetown we headed back to our hotel to have some dessert at the Blue Duck Tavern. I had read many food blogs raving about their Apple Pie; so we definitely had to check this out for ourselves.

It was rather busy and we were able to snag the last table for two in their bar/lounge area. Our waitress came by an gave us menus and a drink list. We didn't even glance at the menu, knowing that it was the apple pie were were after. We ordered two apple pies and the waitress looked at us strangely. She said they were rather big portions and perfect for two. Hey, she knows her food; so we only ordered one with a side of vanilla ice cream.

Our pie arrived; and the waitress was right; it was a big portion. The pie was piping hot; as we sliced into it, steam rose from the cut. We waited a few minutes for it to be an edible temperature. From the first bite I was very happy. This pie is the best. The crust is wonderful, the spples are delicious and it is not overly sweet. The dollop of ice cream on top made it the perfect dessert. My wife and I loved this dessert; I would come back here just for dessert.

Portion is quite large and we left a large chunck of pie left over. So if you are a couple; just order one pie.

Apple Pie & Ice Cream Sugar Cookies

La Chaumière: An Okay French Restaurant

by cjg1 Updated Jun 17, 2013

My wife found La Chaumière when searching for a good French Reatuarant in the Georgetown area. We were staying locally and this was within walking distance of our hotel which made it a good choice.

We arrived on time for our reservation and was surprised at how packed the place was; I thought that to be a good sign. The interior of the restaurant has a quaint country feel to it; not pretentious or stuffy as some French restaurants can be. The host sat us at a table for two in the back of the restaurant which gave us a nice overview of the place.

A basket of bread was brough to the table and our drink order was taken. The menu was full of typical French dishes:Moules Marinière, Onion Soup, Escargot, Steak au Poivre. After perusing the menu, I decided to have the onion soup as a starter and the Rack of Lamb as my entree. My wife chose the escargot for her starter and the Steak au Poivre for her main dish.

Our appetizers arrived after a short wait. My onion soup was too hot to attempt to eat so I let it cool for a few minutes before digging in. My wife began with her escargot and from the look on her face she was not happy. The actual meat of the snail was fine but the sauce was terrible. After sampling a bite; I understood. My onion soup was not a disapointment; it was very good and flavorful.

Our main dishes arrived soon after our appetizers were cleared. My lamb was ok; nothing spectacular. My wife's Steak au Poivre was a dissaster. The meat wasn't good and the sauce was badly seasoned. Needless to say we didn't chance having dessert here but opted to have dessert at our hotel.

Service here was good but I can't say the same about the food.

Lamb Steak au Poivre Onion Soup Escargot

The Carlyle Suites Hotel
Willard Inter-Continental Washington
One Washington Circle Hotel
Latest: Jul 12, 2014

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

Washington D.C. Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Washington D.C. restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Washington D.C. sightseeing.
Map of Washington D.C.

DC WEEKEND : Meet 'n' Greet
Oct 25, 2014
DC WEEKEND : Farewell Dinner
Oct 26, 2014
DC Weekend : Sunday Brunch!

see all Washington D.C. member meetings