Places to eat in Washington D.C.

restaurants inside UNION station
    by mindcrime
    dahl with naan
    by richiecdisc
    clyde's
    by doug48

Most Viewed Restaurants in Washington D.C.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Pasara Thai: So good you'll be tongue-Thaied

by b1bob Written Aug 28, 2015

My friend Nathan Pick (in the orange shirt of the group pic) picked out this restaurant for David and me. Mike Pollock (dark shirt) also joined us. I was willing to try a new restaurant since I hadn't been to D.C. in 10 years (the second George W. Bush inaugural). On walking in, I thought the aesthetics would make it prohibitively expensive. However, I got a full plate of Thai food for a price not out of line with what I would get for a similar portion at home. The wait staff was attentive, but not in your face. The food came out much more promptly than you would expect for the lunch rush on a Friday afternoon.

Favorite Dish: Being a new restaurant to me, I tested them out on their Pad Thai. It's easy to screw up Pad Thai. The most common mistake is overcooking the noodles. These folks didn't do that. The noodles were cooked to the proper doneness and there was a balance between the sweet of the peanut sauce and the lime juice together with the crunch of peanuts. It was a perfect Pad Thai in a nice restaurant with a good wait staff together with great friends.

Pasara Thai Restaurant proper Pad Thai nothing better than a good meal with friends

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Silver Diner: American 50's Diner, Open Real Late

by DSwede Written Oct 20, 2014

First, let me apologize that this place is actually in Arlington and not DC. But when you are hungry, sometimes location doesn't matter. Particularly if it is late and you don't want corner store meals or bar food, there are not a lot of options. Silver Diner to the rescue. It is an honest 50's diner, complete with neon lights and decore from the day.

Favorite Dish: Our food was great. As with any true diner, the milkshakes and malts were a must. The menu has healthy and greasy, vegetarian and carnivore, large and small.

Silver Diner

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Big Buns Gourmet Grill: Supposed to be the Best Burgers in Town!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 14, 2014

I was dining at Morton's Steak house and our waiter was very chatty. Everyone got to talking about food and he mentions a place he owns close by if you want a great burger. He hands us all business cards and I really wanted to go but it didn't fit into our schedule. I thought I would make a mention because small businesses are really difficult to keep afloat. Give it a try and let me know how it was. When I go back to DC, I will definitely make the effort to go.

Potbelly Sandwich Works: A Line for Lunch, Yummy Sandwiches

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 14, 2014

Inexpensive and delicious hot sandwiches. All sorts of combinations on two types of bread. Don't let the lines keep you from eating here - it goes fast. Bottled drinks in the fridge and grab the chips in cubby holes on the wall you walk along to get your sandwich. We saw several of these sandwich places throughout DC. The one we went to even had lunch time entertainment. Highly recommend a try!

Old Ebbitt Grill: Oldest Dining Saloon in DC Est. 1856

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 14, 2014

Good thing I made reservations! The place was packed. We got right in without waiting. The menu is filled with comfort foods. The quality of the food was good but not great. I think the atmosphere more than makes up for that. We stayed for several hours and two bottles of wine. I was having dinner with a friend from high school and we had a lot of catching up to do. Not once did the wait staff try to rush us along. So, on that note, it was a wonderful experience.

Veal Stew Grilled Pork Loin

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Raku: Excellent Asian Fusion restaurant in D.C.

by Jefie Written Oct 5, 2014

This is the spot we chose for our very last dinner in Washington, and we couldn't have made a better choice! To start off, our waitress was super nice, patiently answering all of our questions and making helpful recommendations until we were finally ready to order : I went for the veggie bento box, while my sister ordered a selection of sushi. We also ordered a fantastic bottle of Austrian wine that paired quite deliciously with our food. My bento box was filled with more food than I could possibly eat, but everything was so good that not eating the whole thing seemed more sinful than gluttony could ever be. My sister was equally pleased with her sushi, especially with the garden summer rolls that came with a delicious peanut sauce (I would know, I stole some from her!). Everything was so fresh and tasty, even the veggies cooked in a light batter seemed quite healthy. As far as Asian Fusion food goes, this has to be one of the best I've ever tasted!

My veggie bento box at Raku, Dupont Circle Garden summer rolls at Raku, Dupont Circle Enjoying my last evening out with my sister :o)
    • Wine Tasting

sweetgreen: Tasty salad bar in Georgetown

by Jefie Written Oct 5, 2014

The small house located on M Street is home to the original Sweetgreen, a salad bar that has become so popular, it now has 24 different locations in 6 American states. The day we spent touring around the gorgeous Georgetown area of Washington was yet another sunny and incredibly hot day, so needless to say, we were in the mood for something light and refreshing for lunch. The line up that streched out on M street seemed to be a pretty good indication that sweetgreen was a popular choice with locals, so we took our place in line, which moved pretty swiftly. We chose the "make your own salad" option, so we got to pick the type of lettuce we wanted, the veggies, proteins and dressing. We also ordered a glass of very refreshing homemade watermelon lemonade to go with it. To say that we were happy with our lunch would be a gross understatement!!

The original sweetgreen on M Street NW Lunch time at Georgetown's sweetgreen

Zorba's Cafe: Excellent Greek restaurant near Dupont Circle

by Jefie Updated Oct 3, 2014

On our last evening in Washington, after having spent the better part of yet another very hot day walking around the city, we only had 3 things in mind: good food, a glass of wine, and getting back to our room as quickly as possible! When I stopped to look at the menu of Zorba's Cafe, I saw that they had a take-out option - the occasion seemed too good to pass, especially since taking Greek take-out back to our hotel for dinner is exactly what my sister and I had done in Vancouver! Is this the way traditions are born?! In any case, the way it works at Zorba's Cafe, first you go downstairs to place and pay for your order. You can order it to go but you can choose to eat there. The restaurant has two very charming dining rooms as well as outdoor seating. Also, the place is fully licensed, so while you wait for your food to be ready, you can enjoy an imported Greek beer or glass of wine :o) My sister got the Aegean salad, which is basically a Greed salad topped with two chicken souvlakis. I couldn't make up my mind between the Ionian (topped with beef kefte) and Oasis (topped with falafels) salad so I ended up ordering a combination of the two - it wasn't on the menu, but they were happy to make it for me! Both salads came with fresh breadrolls and were excellent - especially since we got to enjoy them from the comfort of our top-floor suite!

Zorba's Caf�� in Washington, D.C. Our Greek take-out tradition continues! At Zorba's Caf�� in Washington, D.C.

Restaurant Béarnaise: French bistro on Capitol Hill

by Jefie Updated Oct 2, 2014

We stopped at Béarnaise for lunch on a really hot day. The lunch menu featured different salads and sandwiches that sounded much more appealing and refreshing than the pizza place we had originally thought about. We sat at one of the sidewalk tables, and it took a fair bit of time for the waiter to come around. In fact, of all the restaurants we tried in Washington, this is the only place where service was not so good. Our waiter was none too friendly (maybe he was he thought it would put us in a Parisian mood?!), and he brought me a side of fries instead of the salad I had ordered. However, I guess he sort of made up for it by bringing us a second glass of sparkling wine, which we hadn't ordered, and not charging us for it. In addition to the free sparkling wine, my roasted veggie baguette and my sister's chicken salad croissants were excellent, so despite our waiter's best efforts to sabotage our meal, we ended up enjoying our lunch at Béarnaise!

Roasted veggie baguette at B��arnaise Two glasses of wine is always better than one!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Cosi: Another good spot for a quick breakfast

by Jefie Updated Sep 30, 2014

There was a Cosi cafe located near our hotel just off Connecticut Avenue NW, not far from Dupont Circle. Although these can be found in several American cities, I'd never been to one before. There was a pretty good choice of breakfast sandwiches, wraps and "squagels" (square bagels), all freshly made right on the spot. Oatmeal, yogurt, and muffins completed the breakfast selection very nicely. My Florentine wrap (egg whites, spinach, Swiss cheese and artichoke spread) was very good and quite filling. They do offer a selection of soups, salads and sandwiches during the day, but despite their claim of offering a Parisian cafe-like atmosphere, the place felt more or less like a healthy (nutition facts are readily available) fast-food joint. It did seem to attract its fair share of regulars, but to me it simply didn't feel special enough to go back.

My sister enjoying her breakfast wrap at Cosi

Alero: Good Mexican restaurant near Dupont Circle

by Jefie Written Sep 30, 2014

Still looking to take my sister all around the world, at least when it came to dining, our next stop was at a Mexican restaurant located close to our hotel on Connecticut Avenue NW. As with many Mexican restaurants, Alero offers a fiesta-like atmosphere with a dining room all decked out in bright colours and salsa music playing. We started out with a very refreshing cocktail and devoured the homemade nacho chips and salsa the waiter brought to our table. For dinner, my sister and I then shared two traditional Mexican dishes: Tacos de Cochinita Pibil and Enchiladas con Mole Poblano. Both were excellent and very reasonably priced. I'd highly recommend this restaurant for a quick escape down south!

Salud! @ Alero Mexican Restaurant Alero Mexican Restaurant, Dupont Circle Mexican dinner at Alero, Dupont Circle

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Jaleo: Best dining experience in D.C.!

by Jefie Updated Sep 28, 2014

When I saw that my guide recommended a Spanish restaurant in the Penn Quarter, I immediately thought of taking my sister there and introducing her to the fabulous world of tapas! And I honestly don't think I could have picked a better place to do it. The selection of tapas was pretty incredible (I'd even say overwhelming!), so to make our choice easier we went with the lunch menu (almuerzo rapido). For $31, we got to pick four of the restaurant's most popular tapas (portions were pretty generous) and a glass of sangria (there's also plenty of wine available by the glass). Some of the tapas were pretty traditional, others were a fun twist on typical Spanish food, but the one thing they had in common: they were all absolutely delicious!! And as if the food wasn't enough, the restaurant has a fun and trendy atmosphere, and the staff was both efficient and very friendly. Overall, Jaleo turned out to be the best of all the restaurants we tried in D.C.!

Favorite Dish: I highly recommend the endives with goat cheese, oranges and almonds as well as the sautéed spinach, pine nuts, raisins and apples :o)

Tapas and a glass of sangria at Jaleo Jaleo Spanish restaurant in Washington, D.C. Our appetizers: delicious conos Saut��ed spinash and patatas bravas
    • Wine Tasting

Good spot for a quick & easy breakfast: Soho Market & Cafe

by Jefie Updated Sep 22, 2014

The Soho Market & Cafe was located very close to our hotel and it seemed to be popular with locals on their way to work so we decided to try it out. We ended up having breakfast there on a few occasions as it turned out to be a fast and convenient way of grabbing something to eat in the morning. There was a deli-like section at the back, where you could order breakfast sandwiches, but we only ate out of the buffet, which had an excellent selection of cold and hot dishes: fresh fruits, cheese, omelets, hashbrowns, sausages, bagel, oatmeal, French toasts... you name it! You paid by the pound, and it always turned out to be very reasonable. Oh, and coffee was pretty good too!

Breakfast time at Soho Market & Cafe

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Aroma: Good but not exceptional Indian restaurant

by Jefie Written Sep 20, 2014

Perhaps this was the restaurant I was least impressed with during my trip to Washington. It was good, but not as outstanding as some of the other places we tried. First of all, the place is in dire need of refurbushing, and a fresh coat of paint might be a good idea too. There was really nothing special in the way of atmosphere and service. The food was what you can expect from a respectable Indian restaurant, nothing less, nothing more. My sister and I shared the special dinner meal for two, which offered a good sampling of their menu, and for $42, there was more than enough food for two. So while I wasn't disappointed at all in my meal (I love Indian food!), I'm sure there are better Indian restaurants in Washington.

Dinner at Aroma Indian Restaurant

Luna Grill & Diner: Excellent diner food in a bistro-like atmosphere

by Jefie Updated Sep 11, 2014

We spotted Luna Grill & Diner as we were walking down Connecticut Ave., looking for a place where we could have breakfast. We took a look at the menu and liked the idea of being able to customize our omelet, so we decided to eat there. We immediately liked the cosy atmosphere of the little diner, which almost felt like a bistro. Prices were very reasonable, service was fast and friendly, our omelets were delicious, and portions were quite generous! And the coffee was soooo good! We enjoyed our meal so much that we promised ourselves we'd go back, but the occasion never came up during the trip. But as I'm not one to break promises, I guess I'll have no choice but to go back next time I'm in D.C.!

Delicous omelet at Luna Grill & Diner Pascale enjoying her coffee at Luna Grill & Diner

Washington D.C. Hotels

Willard Inter-Continental Washington
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews
One Washington Circle Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

Washington D.C. Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Washington D.C. restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Washington D.C. sightseeing.
Map of Washington D.C.