Places to eat in Washington D.C.

restaurants inside UNION station
    by mindcrime
    dahl with naan
    by richiecdisc
    clyde's
    by doug48

Most Viewed Restaurants in Washington D.C.

Mr. K's: High end authentic Chinese food

by Gypsystravels Written Apr 7, 2006

From the moment you walk into Mr. K's you'll realize just how special your meal will be. As you are seated the waiter brings a beautiful orchid and either pins it on you or gives it to you to place on your hair.

After you are seated, your order is taken and you are given a sorbet palate cleanser and warm hand towels.

Your meal is brought in hot plates and if it is an intimate dinner the waiter will serve each individual a bit of the selected items on your plate.

Favorite Dish: We started our evening with two appetizers. We chose the spring rolls and sea scallop toast.

As our main course my friend ordered the Mongolian Lamb - paper thin slices of lamb stir-fried with scallions, onions and baby corn in a light brown sauce. I had the Shrimp delight - shrimps sauted with water chestnuts, red peppers, celery, ginger and mountain mushrooms in garlic sauce.

We followed our dinner with Chao Dao, a chinese tea.

Front facade of the restaurant

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Sequoia: The Best View of Waterfront DC...

by zanzooni Written Oct 29, 2005

Ahhh...how so I love this place!! It is special, from the time that I first arrived here via "Baby Yacht" with an old boyfriend, to pull up to the docking platform, many moons ago, to every time that I bring someone new to the area here...unfortunetly, I don't have the yacht, but I do know how to enter via the landlubber route...The last time I was here, back in September 2005, they had a jazz band playin' outside, softly caressing the senses along with the water, lappin' onto the concrete foundation of the Potomac Riva'..the Architectural details are devine..alot of money went into building this place..there are businesses along with homes here. The Grand Entrance is the Central Fountain that greets your arrival and welcomes you with splendor and open arms. Having traveled to all of the restaurants surrounding this devine location, my fav is "Sequoia"

Pizzeria Paradiso: Wood oven pizza in DuPont Circle

by Dabs Updated Oct 20, 2004

Even though I didn't have my husband, the pizza nut, with me, I still stopped and tried this small pizza joint right near DuPont Circle. It's a very small restaurant so if you go at a busy time you might encounter a wait. But since I was by myself, I went and sat at the counter right away.

Favorite Dish: I tried a 8 inch pizza with salami and red onions and it was delicious! There are plenty of non traditional ingredients on the menu such as mussels, eggplant, pine nuts and you can also substitute fresh buffalo mozzarella and fresh sliced tomatoes on any pizza.

The menu also includes some paninis which looked pretty tasty as they passed by, salads and several dessert choices including gelato.

My salami/red onion pizza

Old Ebbitt Grill: Power dining near the White House

by Dabs Updated Oct 23, 2004

Old Ebbitt Grill was nothing like I expected it to be. I guess from the word Grill I was expecting more of a greasy spoon/diner type of establishment but this wood paneled restaurant reeks of power lunches the minute you walk in the door and see all the folks dressed in power suits.

Since I was dining solo, I bypassed the 20 minute lunch time wait for a table and sat at the bar where they serve the full menu.

The service was prompt and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I asked the bartender/waiter what their speciality was and he said crab cakes, one of my favorite foods. I ordered just one, knowing that I would be eating heavily later in the day. It was very good, lightly fried with big chunks of crab meat but it was a little small for $14.95. I was still hungry after I ate it so I actually ate some of the green beans that came with which will come as a shock to my friends and loved ones as green vegetables rarely pass my lips. But the orange mushy stuff beneath the crab cake was still left on my plate :-)

The guy sitting next to me at the bar was having a burger and it looked rather tasty and much more filling than my single crabcake.

Old Ebbitt Grill

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Breakfast on the run

by tpangelinan Written Apr 30, 2005

We got up really early and got started on our day. While driving around and touring, instead of walking, the only thing open for coffee was McDonald's, So McDonald's it is! The food and coffee was good, suprise! While we sat and ate we must have seen every cop from the city come in here. May be because it's near the White House but it just seemed like a popular place for the men in blue. Any way stop by for breafast it not bad and cool photos on the walls of famous people who have visited.

McDonald's
    • Photography

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Merchants at the marina: Fresh Seafood

by tpangelinan Written Apr 30, 2005

If you are looking for fresh seafood then go to Water St. at the marina. There are many seafood mechants along the river and can I tell you this seafood is fresh. Many diferent types of fish and shrimp, shellfish and so much more, it all looked clean & trimmed well, ready to throw on the grill or in a pan! Check it out if you have to cook on your vacation and you want seafood.

Fresh Seafood
    • Luxury Travel
    • Fishing

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: Chicago pizza in Washington DC?

by Dabs Updated Oct 23, 2004

After several failed attempts to find a spot for the second VT meeting with Matcrazy1 and 0, we settled on Pizzeria Uno located in Union Station. Since it was Saturday night and we had a larger party, we had to wait for about 20 minutes to get a table.

Kent (kentbein), Tania (skye820) and me who had been touring together in the afternoon joined up with the other party of Matt (matcrazy1), Urzsula (matcrazy0), Chris (Balfor) and Kathy (Kodi01)

Favorite Dish: Well, of course, Chicago style deep dish pizza is MUCH better if you eat it in Chicago, but the pizza here was good. After eating some appetizers, we ordered several pizzas and I stuck with my favorite, the Chicago Classic with sausage and fresh tomatoes.

Chris (Balfor) introduced us to a drink called the Sneaky Bast**rd, tastes just like fruit punch but has three shots of liquor!

Kent and Matt choosing their political party

Zebra Lounge: Quick snack

by Dabs Updated Jun 26, 2005

We had tried stopping by Brickskeller which was closed so we ended up here to grab a quick snack and a drink. In the mid afternoon there were few people here, so we chatted for a bit and then headed back out to tour a bit. I really liked the lounge atmosphere of this place, it's a good place to relax with friends with comfy places to sit.

Favorite Dish: We order a chicken quesadilla appetizer which was pretty good.

Kent and Tania lounging

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Food Court at International Square: "Around the world" in 80 seconds

by b1bob Updated Jun 27, 2006

Who says fast food has to taste like the wrapper it comes in? Washington, DC is very internationally oriented, not only because of embassy staff from across the world, but also from American citizens from across the world. This international flavour is highlighted at the International Square Food Court which consists of Burrito Brothers, Chow Chow Cup, Frank & Stein, Havana Cafe, Shelly's Meat & Potatoes, Stoupsy's of Athens. I pesonally have eaten at Stoupsy's and the Havana Cafe. The former was pretty good, the latter was outstanding.

Favorite Dish: I have eaten here twice. The first time, I had spanakopita and dolmades at Stoupsy's of Athens and the spanakopita and dolmades were fair to middling. The second time, I had some chicken, black beans and rice, and some mango nectar at Havana Cafe. That was excellent fare. The aggregate of my two experiences there makes me very satisfied.

International Square

Thai Tanic: Great Thai place

by Gypsystravels Updated Apr 4, 2011

We were looking for AA I-Dines in DC and stumbled upon this really good Thai place. Its a a local neighborhood restaurant with the option of take away. Chris walked down to the restaurant and placed an order for take away which we ate at our hotel. The food was quite good.

Favorite Dish: Chris ordered a few dishes for take out, one being the Pad Thai and the other satay chicken.

Julia's Empanadas: Empanadas

by Gypsystravels Updated Dec 31, 2007

While doing our usual walk discovering the city, we came across this place and decided to stop in for a quick snack. It's a small "fast foodish" type place with some really fresh and tasty empanadas. They have a wide range of sweet or meat empanads.

Favorite Dish: We bought two empanads and shared them. The Chorizo was really good, the Chilean Beef was okay.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

The Diner: The Diner

by b1bob Updated Jun 27, 2006

I had to get up early on 20 January 2005 to get into Washington before the metros got packed and too much real estate got cordoned off by security for inauguration day. In my pre-trip research, I found a 24-hour diner in the heart of Adams Morgan named, appropriately enough, The Diner. So, after a healthy walk from Dupont Circle, I ambled in there for an early breakfast. The atmosphere was just as I like it- regular food with regular folks. Contrary to what I might find at some snooty boulangerie or even at Starbucks (you know: the self-important crowd), I had a nice conversation with an overworked metro police officer in the midst of a 24-hour shift.

Favorite Dish: Like the aforesaid police officer, I was pounding back the coffee because I'm not worth a lick at o'dark thirty (real early in the morning) before having at least one cup. The Greek omelet (with eggs, spinach, feta cheese, and tomatoes) was great, but the coffee stands out as exceptional for a diner. Many diners at which I have eaten serve great food, but coffee which borders on tonsil varnish (mediocre coffee- at best). However, The Diner is a cut above the rest in terms of coffee.

The Diner: Greek omelet, home fries, coffee

Woodley Cafe: A nice little spot for breakfast

by Gypsystravels Updated May 12, 2007

A dinner style cafe offering breakfast, lunch and dinner, this wasn't such a great experience. We had breakfast here on our first day.

The service was spotty at best. The waiter didn't come to us until we asked for menus and then when we did, they took a long time coming back to take our order.

The food was also just okay. I ordered some pancakes which arrived cold. Nando ordered chicken fingers and he said they were just okay.

The place was pretty packed, so I was so surprised about the food.

Open City: Excellent, with some great food and atmosphere

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 10, 2009

We stumbled upon this place because of its proximity to the hotel. We came here on two occassions, for breakfast and lunch. We wanted a nice inexpensive place to have a decent meal and we weren't disappointed. Open City is a large cavenous restaurant which offers breakfast, lunch and dinner.

For breakfast I enjoyed a nice latte with eggs benedict and Ferni had the fluffy pancakes topped with strawberry preserves and freshly squeezes oj.

For lunch I had a scrumptous bacon cheddar burger with some yummy fries and Ferni had the steak and cheese sandwich with fries.

Favorite Dish: Each meal on both days was deliscious.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

St. Ex.: Outside Brunch

by cjg1 Updated Mar 13, 2008

Consistently one of my favorite places to get breakfast or brunch. Usually these days we sit outside so Ava is a bit happier. And that really is what is most important.

Favorite Dish: The food here is really pretty good. Am able to get most breakfast items and they are always done perfectly. So sit back, enjoy the views on the street and enjoy your food. I am sure you wont be disappointed.

Washington D.C. Hotels

Capital Hilton
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
One Washington Circle Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

Washington D.C. Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Washington D.C. restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Washington D.C. sightseeing.
Map of Washington D.C.