Union Station, Washington D.C.

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 26 Reviews

by albaaust
    More expensive dining options
    by albaaust
  • tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Union Station The Station Grill: A quiet spot in a hectic town.

by tpangelinan Written Apr 24, 2005

Ummm, good food.

The Station Grill was Excellent. I found this place warm and inviting. I hope I get to eat here again sometime.
    We had a cozy booth next to the bar, and it would be a perfect spot for a rainy day because you can eat just outside the restaurant, but if feels el fresco.
    The service and food were wonderful. I would go back here for breakfast again and again.

Favorite Dish: Western Eggs $5.95
    Bacon $2.25
    Bacon Cheddar Omlett $6.90
    This was good food, great prices.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

the Station Grill: Enjoy the crab balls..

by zanzooni Written Nov 21, 2004

Inside the

This restaurant is where I used to work many moons ago. My X-boyfriend, and the X-husband of one of my best friends, built this. Rich, warm woods, a true copper ceiling, and it still looks like it did when I worked there 16 years ago. Bruce still owns the place...When you go, stop in and tell him I sent you..and ask him to tell you the story about the statues that surround the upper walls of Union Station. He has a very special one outside his restaurant.~

Favorite Dish: I like all the food here as it really brings back memories. The crab cakes are very good.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Union Station: Stoip by AU BON PAIN

by tpangelinan Written Apr 26, 2005

AU BON PAIN

This is a great place to grab a quick breakfast or lunch just before you get on the train. The food is always fresh and wrapped ready to go. The prices are reasonable and the staff is nice. They have danishes, muffins, sandwiches, cold & hot drinks, chips and much more.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Union Station: Too Many Places to Mention Here!

by Yaqui Updated Jan 11, 2009

This a very impressive place. It's where you can eat, shop, catch the metro, train, and the Gray Line Tours. Many just come here to hang out. I know why, because it's pretty impressive place just to eat. They have a food court and it is busy during the week during lunch time, so be prepared. Dinner is not so bad. Oh, there is a movie theatre down stairs, which is impressive because they left the hallways as is, so you can tell they had to cut some serious rock to form access for the theatre. It was clean here too! So, check it out!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Corner Bakery Cafe: Delicious sandwiches

by matcrazy1 Written Dec 22, 2005

CORNER BAKERY AT UNION STATION

It's my recommendation for a bit hungry budget visitor who has no time to look for any better but still economic restaurant and who likes sandwiches :-).

Corner Bakery Cafe is an American chain fast food style restaurant which offers first of all sandwiches which are advertised as having taste of Italian panini. This restaurant at Union Station has one table and offers chili & soups, salads, breads, panini, sandwiches, pasta, sweets and kid's menu. It's open 9 am to 9 pm Mon - Fri and 10 am - 9 pm Sat - Sun.

Favorite Dish: We were not very hungry, so we ordered one Corner Menu for $6.49. We chose:
    - 1/2 tuna salad on olive bread (Kalamato olive bread with tuna salad, field greens and plum tomatoes)
    - 1/2 corned beef reuben panini (sandwich of corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing grilled on white rye bread)
    - Caesar salad.
    It tasted very good, the Kalamato olive bread is my favourite.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

union station restaurants: union station restaurants

by mindcrime Written Nov 9, 2010

restaurants inside UNION station

One morning we decided to take our breakfast inside the Union station. On the lower lever are located numerous fast food options, the locals see hungry early in the morning before they take the train, it was amazing looking at the people eating all these burgers and bacons at 9.00am!

We were desperate until we found a tiny one at the corner that was serving soups. We ordered a veggie soup and a meat soup, both of them were really tasty and they were coming with a fresh juice of your choice. You can choose from oranges, mango, pine apples etc They also gave us a fruit (we took banana) and a small dessert!

The bill was up to $24 and the man was very friendly and remembered us the last day when we took the train off DC.

Another day we ate at CAJUN & GRILL, where we took chicken with rice and 2 salads for $11.40.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Uno Chicago Grill: Delicious pizza in great company :-)

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 23, 2005

JOY = TANIA + KRISTI IN PIZZERIA UNO :-)

It's my recommendation for lovers of good pizza ($7 - $10) and for all hungry folks passing by Union Station.

Uno Chicago Grill is a chain of restaurants based in Boston, Massachusets which started in 1943 when Ike Sewell invented the Original Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. The one located at Union Station, called usually Pizzeria Uno, was a place of our great VT-meeting on 16 October, 2004 (details in travelogues and nightlife tips).

The restaurant, open from 11 am (12 am on Sunday) till midnight, offers comfortable, a bit dark and charming interiors divided into bar/pub and dining part. They serve steak and ribs, chicken, seafood, deep dish and thin crust pizza, pasta dishes, sandwiches and burgers, wine and beer. Add desserts: all-American sweets as brownies, cheesecake, cake, and apple pie. Kids have their own menu, with a pizza, of course.

Favorite Dish: I loved their Chicago classic (deep dish pizza with extra mozzarella, extra sausage, extra tomato, extra crisp-crust; small $7.99, regular $15.99) the pie that made them famous. We ordered regular size pizza which is enough for 3 people while the small one is more than enough for single person. Urszula did a mistake, she ordered salmon which was not that good (too dry and bland), that's why I can't rate this restaurant as a great experience. But Chicago-style pizzas were delicious. Shouldn't I go to Chicago next time?

• traveler4224's Profile Photo

Too Many to name...and remember: Union Station

by traveler4224 Updated May 11, 2003

First of all...I selected the theme other becuase it was kind of everything.
    Union Station is a train station, and in there is a mall, and a huge food court. They had Italian, Fish, Chinese, Salad Bar, Clam Bar, Japanese....pretty much everything. And the food was great! You will probably have to drive there, but....this is by far, I thought, the best place to eat. You dont get served here, you walk up to whatever you want to eat, and they serve you, and you find a place to sit. Like eating at a mall. It also wasn't expensive at all. Just a wonderful experience.

Favorite Dish: I had pizza, and it was great, and I tried some Chinese, and it was great! But there was over 100 places to eat drink and shop.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Union Station: Union Station restaurants

by Pawtuxet Written Sep 25, 2004

Approaching Union Station

There are several places to choose from at Union Station. You can eat Mexican, sea food, a little French....or good old Pizza. We chose to have breakfast in the beautiful restaurant at the center of the main hall. Very good. I have also tried the Mexican restaurant as well as the smaller lunch counters, salad bars.....I guess I've spent a lot of time at Union Station. You could actually eat 3 meals a day there...and never hit the same spot twice for the whole week!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

America: The Country's Most Patriotic Restaurant

by londonlover Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hail to the Sandwich!

The idea of this restaurant was what first intrigued me--a wide variety of dishes showcasing the ethnic variations of various locations throughout the USA. The restaurant itself is located inside Union Station, with some tables overlooking the US Capitol Building, and others overlooking the main hall of Union Station.

Favorite Dish: I had a marinated portobello mushroom and sun-dried tomato sandwich on focaccia, served with fries, cole slaw, and a pickle. The mushroom was huge and nicely spiced, and the presentation on a patriotic plate was beautiful!

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: More than just pizza

by gosiaPL Updated Jul 10, 2006

Pizzeria Uno

Union Station has several restaurants looking nice and probably serving reasonably good food. So if you're arriving by train, or if you need a meal before/after your trolley tour, you have enough to choose from.

I liked the Pizzeria Uno which is located on the mezzanine level. Besides pizza, they serve a selection of tasty salads which are big enough for a full meal. I had chicken salad and it was delicious!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Gourmet Station: Inexpensive and Delicious

by GracesTrips Updated Mar 3, 2009

Very delicious and healthy for quick pre-prepared food. I think the combination plate I had cost about US$9.00 with drink. Chicken with various vegetables, rice and watercress salad. Located on the lower level.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Mamma Ilardo's Pizzeria of Union Station

by Ewingjr98 Written Nov 14, 2008

Mamma Ilardo's Pizza has about 26 locations in DC, Maryland, Virginia, New York, Nevada, and California. That vast majority of them are located in airports, at highway rest areas, casinos, malls, corporate food courts, and other places with a generally captive and/or transient audience.

In DC one of the locations is the big food court at the lower level of Union Station. It is located at the quiet end on the opposite side as the Metro Station. Here you can get your fill of thin or thick crust pizza by the slice for about $3 to $3.50 each. Their meals include two slices of pizza and a drink for around $7. You could also get whole pizzas, calzones, mozzarella sticks and bread sticks. It's decent pizza, especially if you are stuck at Union Station and don't want to spend a fortune.

If you want a nice sit-down pizza meal around Union Station, try Armand's Chicago Pizza just a block or two east on Massachusetts Avenue.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

America - Union Station

by Ewingjr98 Written Nov 14, 2008

America is one of the four or five big sit-down restaurants on the main level of beautiful Union Station. The restaurant takes its name from the variety of American regional specialty dishes they serve such as Cajun, barbecue, Tex-Mex, Chesapeake Bay and New England seafood, Idaho potatoes, and America's favorite food--the hamburger.

We took a seat on the second floor overlooking Union Station's main concourse. I had the Cuban sandwich with roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese, mustard, pickles and fries for about $11. My friend Moe had the New Bedford haddock fish and chips for $15 that came with bread and fries. Both meals were large and reasonably priced I guess, though an $11 sandwich may be a little steep for most people. The food was good, but not over the top. The grilled pork on my sandwich was so bland, I couldn't even figure out what it was until I checked the menu later. The fish and chips was large enough that my friend couldn't finish it all.

The service here was very good, though they almost try to be too formal for a quick lunch stop.

The company that operates America manages the Thunder Grill and the Center Cafe, also some of Union Station's nicer restaurants. They operate 15 or 20 other restaurants in New York, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City, many in hotel and casinos. Oddly all of their restaurants seem to have different names and themes, rather than perfecting one menu and running with it.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Union Station food hall: Cheap Eat

by albaaust Written Jan 8, 2014

Food hall

If you are looking for a cheap meal head to Union Station where there are a number of vendors offering a variety of different meals. There is a large number of tables that you can sit at. The food we ordered was reasonable and typical food hall quality.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels