Information / Sources, Washington D.C.

Know about this? Rate It!

• Information / Sources
    by Turska
  • Information / Sources
    by axmor
  • Turska's Profile Photo

Even if it´s smaller, it´s not THAT small

by Turska Written Mar 30, 2014

I had this map printed with me, from Washington D.C. guidebook I found from our library. It said: Take a bus or metro from railway station to first point and then walk the rest..
    We love walking, so we thought: No way, we will walk all the way!
    Mistake! I think the metres marked at map were wrong. Too close to miles. We are hard walkers, and quite fast walkers and even so, it too a LONG time for us to walk! We decided to skip points 1, 2 and 3 and even so, we think we should have taken some public transport to save time.
    After entering to old town (Georgetown) it was different. I think after that it was nice to walk.
    But after loosing so much time to walking (and there was allmost nothing to see at the walk before Georgetown) we didn´t have time left to visit at least some of the craft brewery restaurants, witch we had in mind. Craft beers are sort of hobby for us.

• Photography

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

A Good Map is Very Useful

by lmkluque Updated Jan 28, 2012

Old Metro Map

It doesn't matter if you are driving around the city or taking the Metro, a good Road Map will make the driving easier and reduce wasted time getting from one place to another when not knowing which way to turn. If I hadn't had my own personal driver, I think I wouldn't choose to drive a car. I'd take the Metro!!

Actually, I did get around via the Metro when my personal driver was unavailable. This system was not nearly as extensive as the one in Paris, which I had already experienced, but the D.C. Metro was easy to use and so efficient. Especially for site seeing. There were three lines when I was there and now they've added the Green Line. There are stations near or next to almost every site/ historical marvel you'll want to see.

I did not take the Metrobus so can't comment on this method. However, the link will take you to the official website with all the information you'll need.

• Adventure Travel
    • Trains

• Best airport transportation company in DC

by chicagoguy86 Written Mar 20, 2011

i made it on time to the airport. Also i have to mention that they were early at the pick off from my house and early at the drop off. I ride was clean, driver courteous. they made my trip to BWI airport at 5 am in the morning a very comfortable experience. The price was very affordable too. i recommend them to all washington dc

• Best airport transportation company in DC

by chicagoguy86 Written Mar 20, 2011

• Reagan, Dulles and BWI airport to Washington DC

by alibaba1234 Written Jan 22, 2011

if you are traveling to Washington Dc and planing on getting off at Dulles airport, BWI airport, or Ronald Reagan airport; I strongly recommend this company called: Waldorf Air Trans. They are always on time, and very cheap. Plus they got clean vehicles and very courteous staff. during my 2 week stay in Washington DC, they drove me around whenever i needed it

• Avoid the DC Crowds

by george1976 Written Feb 2, 2009

Crowds in DC can sometimes be overwhelming. Be sure to avoid the rush hour commutes (7 am-9 am and 4 pm-6pm) on Metro. Or, you can avoid tons of people by going around holidays--when the city empties out. Be aware, though, late spring, early fall, and summer are usually when DC museums and attractions are most frequented by visitors. You can avoid some of the tourist traffic by going during the week.

• LLend's Profile Photo

Get a good DC Map!

by LLend Written Aug 7, 2003

We lived in DC, the beltway 495 is the longest darn circle written on any map, make sure you are going the right way, and which exit you will need to get off on.
    When driving the DC area, map out where you are going before getting in the car.
    I know you should take the train, but DC needs to have one set price for the tickets/passes (like Chicago) Hey i can park downtown for that price!

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Metro Maps

by soccergrrl Updated Apr 17, 2003

In addition to the two sites mentioned in my "Metro" transportation tip, you might check out this one, too. It has good maps of the neighborhoods around Metro stations and you can sign up for email alerts about events near Metro stations. There are also links for info about businesses around specific stations. For each station, it also has photos of the station itself, its parking lots, etc. I stumbled onto it because the WMATA site sent me there when I asked for a map.

• axmor's Profile Photo

Here is a valuable guide of...

by axmor Updated Aug 24, 2002

Here is a valuable guide of the System Map, showing Points of Interests, Colleges and Universities, Shopping and Theaters and how to get there by taking the Metrorail.
    Keep it handy !

Instant Answers: Washington D.C.

Comments

View all Washington D.C. hotels