Bainbridge Island Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Bainbridge Island

• falicia2000's Profile Photo

falicia2000's General Tip

by falicia2000 Written Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memory is being able to live on a small farm and have animals. I had a small goat named Bingo and I use to walk him in the forest around our neighbor hood, and then there was Fort Ward a mile away where I use to go and explore, long since empty.. I think the bunkers underground were kinda scary now that I think about it, Yikes.

History of the Site
    The former Fort Ward is located on Bainbridge Island in Washington State and has also been known as U.S. Naval Radio Station - Bainbridge Island, and Seattle Defense Area AAA Battery 73H. The facility was initially established by the United States Army in 1899 and was modified during the mid-1940s by the Navy and the early 1950s by the Army. The site was initially utilized by the Army to defend the Puget Sound region against hostile intrusions by sea. During this period the facility was composed mainly of coastal gun emplacements (batteries) and observation bunkers. The site was later used as a communications center for Navy operations, and finally the facility was used as an anti-aircraft artillery facility to defend against enemy aircraft incursions. In 1959 the property was declared excess to defense needs and a portion of the site is now Fort Ward State Park and the remainder is under private ownership. pic courtesy d.rowbottom

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

relax the day away

by skatzcatz Updated May 26, 2004
    such a peaceful place

Favorite thing: Spending a day on Bainbridge Osland was one of the most relaxinf days i spent while in the States. I'd reccommend it to anyone looking for a break from the hustle and bustle of travelling. Just stop and let Bainbridge island time take you along.

Fondest memory: the peacefulness.

• Hiking and Walking

• You really need you check out...

by brokebrother Written Oct 5, 2002

Favorite thing: You really need you check out the state park .The veiw of Seattle and Mt.Rainier is awesome!

Fondest memory: Well There isn't one best memory or one thing I miss the most about the Island. The veiw of either mountain
    range is magnificent.The many beach acesses are great for boating or swiming...if you like cold water. I gues I'd say I miss my friends and family the most. People are what make living any where worth while.If your comunity sucks then who cares what it loooks likes.

Instant Answers: Bainbridge Island

Comments

Bainbridge Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bainbridge Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bainbridge Island sightseeing.

View all Bainbridge Island hotels