Chelan Things to Do

Pulling Up Anchor Before Heading Out
    by Johnscarroll
  • Downtown Chelan and the semi-arid hills behind
    Downtown Chelan and the semi-arid hills...
    by Carmanah
  • Things to Do
    by Carmanah

Most Recent Things to Do in Chelan

• Johnscarroll's Profile Photo

Mill Bay Casino and Golf

by Johnscarroll Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a plain jane place. Nothing fancy. I like to go here with my dad. We play the little 9 hole course, eat a sandwich in the Coyote Cafe, and then maybe loose a few dollars on the slots. Perhaps one day, the tribe well be able to aford a building that's a little more glamourous than the current digs. But still, for a simple day - I like it.

• Casino and Gambling
    • Gay and Lesbian

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Shopping

by Carmanah Updated Oct 27, 2006

Downtown Chelan and the semi-arid hills behind

Chelan's main streets have some really cute shops. When I visited, I was 17 years old and was obsessed with music. There was this hippy store where they told sarongs, tie-dye shirts, incence, jewelly. But what was amazing was that they also sold music memorabila! I remember buying a Nine Inch Nails and a Nirvana concert poster here. I'm sure my sister bought something similar.

My mom, however, really enjoyed the country kitchen shops. One store particularly sold all things "apple". Since Chelan is located in the Okanogan Valley (the same valley that extends north into British Columbia, just spelled differently), orchard fruit is a major industry. As a result, apples are a huge part of the local economy. It was nice to buy some fresh apple chips here!

• Johnscarroll's Profile Photo

Boating

by Johnscarroll Updated Aug 21, 2005
    Pulling Up Anchor Before Heading Out

OK - Boating is why I go to Chelan. It's no problem trailering my little Seaswirl boat for a week of relaxation. However, because the north end is remote, I boat cautiously in case of a breakdown.

Regular traffic up and down the lake assures you of a rescue if there is a problem, but you may have to drift about for an hour or so until the next boater comes by. Last time I was there, I gave a tow to one thoughtless boater who hadn't checked his fuel level before heading out.

I usually boat from Chelan to midlake at 25 Mile State Park. From there I turn around and head back. On another day, I'll trailer my boat to the same park, launch at the busy boat ramp, and then head north to see the upper half of the lake. Fuel is available at Stehekin on the tip of the north end.

We eat in Stehekin, stroll about and then head back to 25 Mile Park to finish the day. My little boat just can't carry enough fuel to make it all 50 miles from south to north.

Boats are available for rent, though there are restriction on their use and they are expensive. Those without boats should try the Lady of the Lake passenger ferry. There is a fast boat and a slow one. Round trips are popular with day trippers.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Sailing and Boating
    • National/State Park

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

Relax and enjoy the scenery.

by Carmanah Written Oct 4, 2002

Yes... after an hour of window-shopping (and music memorabilia shopping), we finally had time to relax! While it really wasn't that stressful to begin with, we soon left Chelan after this picture was taken, on our way to the town of Winthrop!

Instant Answers: Chelan

Comments

Chelan Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Chelan things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chelan sightseeing.