Grand Coulee Things to Do

• Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Grand Coulee

The flora and fauna at Lenore Caves

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

The flora and fauna here are different from the rest that you can see in Washington State. It's maybe a combination of the weather, the soil and the salt. Remember this is a remnant of the Glacier Period.

Stop by at the Dry Falls before you head to Coulee

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

We stopped by here for an hour just to check this beautiful creation of the Glacier Period. Five thousand years ago, this used to be the biggest waterfall in the world. It expands all the way from Washington State to Oregon.

Fishing at Coulee Lake

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

I saw some customers at the Coulee Lodge Resort going out fishing. One customer caught some and they barbecued that night. The next day, early morning, the two fishermen went out again. Had we known about this, we could have brought our own fishing rods because you can actually rent a boat at the resort.

• Fishing

Swimming at Coulee Lake

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

The water is super freezing cold even in the summer but my girls went out and swam anyways. The girls are competitive swimmers so I didn't have to worry about them (but, I was still at the Lake watching out for them!).

The girls told me that the water was freezing until they got used to it swimming. They swam all the way to the platform, about 500 yards away from the beach.

I saw a kid just splashing at the water.

Check out the turtles at the Coulee Lake

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

There are turtles at the lake and we saw them close to the wild lilies. We could have not seen these if not for my husband who has good set of eyes!

When we asked the owner of the Coulee Lodge Resort that we saw turtles, she told us that these were wild and they didn't just put them there.

The best time to spot them is in the afternoon when they are just lazing out and the sun is out.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

The rock that looks like a dinosaur

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

My children said that the mountain look like a dinosaur lying down. At a distance, you can really see that it was. The formation of the rocks on the side of the mountain look like a dinosaur...

I took several pictures of it if you can really spot the dinosaur.

The patches of salt at Grand Coulee

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

Not sure where these patches of salt came from. These surround some of the lakes that we saw. We were told they were medicinal of some sort.

When we trek all the way to Lenore Caves, we saw more of this patches as we were up on a higher view.

The wildflowers at Lenore Caves

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

You can't see these flowers anywhere else except maybe, the dandelion which I hated when they grow on my yard. Check out the beautiful flowers that I spotted on our way to the top of the Lenore Caves.

The different dragonflies at Lenore Caves

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

I have seen so many dragonflies at Lenore Caves. There were small electric blue in color that just flies around. There were also black ones. My daughter Sierra just love catching them and letting them fly away again.

Check out the view on top of Lenore Caves

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011
    My daughter Rainier looking at all the lakes

This was an amazing trek we made as a family. The best part of it was that we didn't even plan for this. We just ask where we could go and the owner of the Coulee Lodge Resort told us about this. It was not far from where we were. It was only about 15 minutes drive. Then, a trek of about 30 minutes up the mountains.

The view was amazing and spectacular. We can see different lakes where we were.

Trek to Lenore Caves

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

The Lenore Cave is about 15 minute drive from where we were based at Coulee Lodge Resort, so we decided to check out the Lenore Caves.

It was a beautiful day walk and my children were loving it. I enjoyed the trek up there but the mouth of the cave was covered with rocks.

The climb up to that mountain was not that bad. We took it slow. We saw a couple of people going down the mountain. The view on top was spectacular. There are no words to explain it.

Bird watching at the Coulee Lake

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

In my travels, I love seeing unexpected amazing and spectacular wildlife. I am not talking about snakes. I am talking about amazing beautiful wildlife. An example of this was when I was rowing my boat and all of a sudden, something got out from the lake and saw these amazing loons spreading its wings. It was an awesome feeling...

Over here at Coulee Lake, I saw an eagle perched on a pole and then flew towards me like checking on me. This gave me a feeling of gratefulness. From that moment I saw that eagle, I was thankful to God of his beautiful creation...Then, the next thing, I saw another bird, then another. I saw many different birds that I don't have names for them. I was just loving where I was although it was a little bit uncomfortable sitting on a huge rough rock!

I didn't expect to experience this at Coulee Lake...

Watch the sunrise

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

I woke up very early the next day to watch the sunrise. I climbed a hill passing the arrays of RV's. I settled on the biggest rock and carefully put down my cameras. I just scouted the whole vicinity. This place is so beautiful. And, it is so peaceful. Where I was, I can see the lake in front of me and at a distance to my right was the patches of trees and underneath them were the RVs. To my left is a huge mountain without trees. The night before, I heard loud howling in this mountain. My husband told me that the howling were probably coyotes.

I patiently waited for the sunrise and the sun slowly came up. I exhaled and inhaled. This place is so wonderful. I will come back here next year. In fact, before I even leave this place, I will reserve an RV for my husband's next birthday.

Spot an eagle

by joiwatani Written Sep 29, 2011

I was so happy and joyful and the feeling I cannot explain when I saw this bald eagle perched on a pole. I waited for about thirty minutes but this eagle was just content where it was. I stood up and with my black jacket I spread it long and wide as if I was flying. The eagle fly fast and was checking on me up above. It flew by me several times. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen travelling.

• sunnywong's Profile Photo

Dry Falls

by sunnywong Written Oct 4, 2002

The Fall had their moment of glory during the Ice Age when the Columbia River, temporarily diverted this way, poured a tremendous torrent over a drop twice as high and almost four times as wide as Niagara.

Instant Answers: Grand Coulee

Comments

Grand Coulee Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Grand Coulee things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Coulee sightseeing.