Long Beach Favorites

Sierra flying her own kite
    by joiwatani
    My husband Erik flying a kite, too!
    by joiwatani
  • My daughter and my husband flying kite together
    My daughter and my husband flying kite...

Most Recent Favorites in Long Beach

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Make a fun weekend getaway

by joiwatani Written Sep 13, 2008

Sierra flying her own kite

Favorite thing: Driving to Long Beach for the Kite Festival on the last week of August is a fun getaway. It's not really that expensive if your family like mine is on a budget crunch! Just make sure that when you travel to Long Beach, you packed everything that your family needs for the weekend.

It doesn't really entail a lot of money to have a family fun! If you have enough money for gas, that's all you need! Pack your tent and your food and you are ready to enjoy your whole weekend in Long Beach!

I packed a whole ice chest. I put a lot of drinks (water and bottled juices). I also brought all the condiments for sandwiches and pre-cut all the things I needed: cold turkey cuts and italian beef sandwiches; sliced tomatoes, ketchup, mayonnaise, onions, lettuce, etc. I also packed some fruits like apples, oranges, and grapes.

For snacks, I also packed some peanuts and cheetos for the kids.'

We also packed mats, bathtowels and extra clothings for the children. They had bathing suits, sunglasses, slippers, suntan lotion...

It is really fun to stay on the beach and watch the kites flying. So, it is really nice to have a big mat and some shades...

A weekend in Long Beach is very relaxing and the drive down there is nice because the views on the way are extremely beautiful and exhilarating!

Fondest memory: My children having fun watching the kites and walking on the board walk. My youngest one learned how to make and fly her own kite!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Book your hotel/accommodation a year in advance!

by joiwatani Written Aug 30, 2008

Welcome sign

Favorite thing: I didn't realize that Washington State has a Long Beach until my co-worker mentioned about the Kite Festival through an email. She even sent the website. I asked her how far Long Beach was and she said about a three-hour drive from Seattle, Washington. I googled the site and found out the history of the Kite Festival. The history was very interesting and the site was spectacular!

With only a week of planning, we decided to go but unfortunately, we can't book a hotel. Most of the hotels in Long Beach are all booked! Since the town is a small town and they only have few hotels, some people brought their tents and camped at a nearby KOA. (I found out this later that there is a place where you can camp close to the Kite Festival place). Anyway, when you are planning to go to the Kite Festival, it is better to spend the night over there because not only they have fireworks at night, they have a lot of activities over the weekend.

Make sure to book your accommodation a year early!

Fondest memory: My children have so much fun sandbuilding and just playing on the beach. They also made their own kites and flew them!

Just laying out on the beach was all good and watching the different kites flying up high!

• Windseekr's Profile Photo

Go buy a kite!

by Windseekr Written Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: Accidently stumbling into the Washington State International Kite Festival and making it an annual fun vacation event for my son and I ever since. It is always the third week in August. Kite flying is fun for all ages, and kiters are very fun people.

Instant Answers: Long Beach

Comments

Long Beach Favorites

Reviews and photos of Long Beach favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Long Beach sightseeing.