Downtown Seattle, Seattle

Know about this? Rate It!

Seattle waterfront from Elliott Bay.
    by worldkiwi
    Seattle from Elliott Bay.
    by worldkiwi
  • Downtown Seattle
    by jujub
  • virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Best walking map of downtown

by virtualpatrick Updated Jun 21, 2005

Favorite thing: The map I used to explore downtown on foot is called Seattle Tourmap. It shows points of interests and even gives a little blurb of what it is.

The free map can be found in any hotel, information center, and even in some tourist shops in the Seattle area.

You can get a look online at www.tourmap.com and click on the Seattle link.

• annk's Profile Photo

Seattle Skyline

by annk Updated Feb 6, 2005

Favorite thing: A very attractive city with many new skyscrapers and condominium towers. Even more delightful with a partial blue sky when it's not raining. At least half of the buildings must have wonderful views of Puget Sound.

• Minnieg's Profile Photo

Parkings!

by Minnieg Updated Dec 10, 2004

Favorite thing: Please..Please.. if possible dont rent a car or anything.. take taxi, cabs or metro bus! renting a car will give you a headache! it's hard to find parking spots anywhere and you have to pay ridiculous parking charges! Parking fees are ranging 6-10 dollars per hour. Driving in Seattle area is a no-no!

* Things to Consider *
    - Heavy Traffic
    - Expensive parking fees

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Shopping down town

by EdinburghRoc Updated May 16, 2004

Favorite thing: Like any port, Seattle is liveliest along the waterfront, along the shores of Elliott Bay.
    An Aquarium on pier 59.
    Sooner or later, everyone comes to Pike Place Market, with fruit; vegetables, fish & flowers.
    Go also to Pioneer Square, it's Victorian redbrick builds are surrounded by restaurants.
    Explore Seattle's Undergound Tour from 610 First Avenue from Doc Maynard's Pub

• archan4698's Profile Photo

Places to snap nice scenic photos.

by archan4698 Written Sep 7, 2003

Favorite thing: In order
    1.Alki area of West Seattle, you can see all of the downtown, first hill, queen anne area layed out. Seattle looks alot bigger from this snapshot(mine coming soon)
    2.On the back of a ferry to Bainbridge island. Its a nice side trip if you like biking, exploring around, and if its sunny you will have a great photo.
    3.On top of Queen Anne Hill

Fondest memory: dark, cloudy, slightly rainy cool, foggy mornings on the way to class with a mocha in my hand, headphones in my ears, avoiding people asking me for change. Yep thats an average winter morning....

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Chinatown

by mht_in_la Updated Aug 30, 2003

Favorite thing: Sorry I don't have a photo for this tip. I usually do, but Seattle's International District was small and quite a disappointment that I didn't take one photo.

International District is Chinatown. Don't know why they changed its name; maybe they tried to be politically correct. Given the booming Asian population and influence in the Pacific Northwest, including a Chinese American Governor in the state of Washington, I was expecting a bigger, or at least more lively Chinatown. Perhaps they all moved to the suburbs for a political career.

If you have seen my other pages you'd know visiting Chinatown is my hobby. Later in my trip I travelled to Canada and saw more interesting Chinatowns in Vancouver, Victoria, and even Calgary.

• JoJo_of_the_west's Profile Photo

I Love Seattle!

by JoJo_of_the_west Written Nov 9, 2002

Favorite thing: Seattle is the perfect urban experience. From downtown to Alki Beach to Freemont to Gasworks Park to Capital Hill to Seattle Center. It’s clean, friendly, fun with a great public transportation system. For a city of its size it is very safe.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

AIRFORCE ONE at the Museum of Flight.

by EdinburghRoc Updated Oct 2, 2002

God Bless the USA.

Favorite thing: AIRFORCE ONE at the Air Museum was a surprise for me, YES! You can go on board to see inside the plane.
    Allow two hours to see everything here.
    Take the 1-5south to exit 158, turn right on marginal way S.
    www.museumofflight.org

Fondest memory: Pier Place Market. And the walk along the shore of Puget Sound. The city parks & Union Lake. Watching seaplanes take off & land on Union Lake.
    The quaint boat houses on Lake Union

• Have some fish and chips....

by Lpismo Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Have some fish and chips. Seattle was the first lpace I ever had fish and chips. I've had tons of it, but I can't recall eating any better than what we ate there. I loved going to the beach, and climbing on the rocks. If I took someone to Seattle I would take them to Woodland Park. If it's the same there, there is a zoo there, and lots to see.

Fondest memory: I think my best memories of Seattle are going to Playland, Woodland Park, Mt. Rainier. I miss the nice rides we went on, on Sunday afternoons to the 'big' snow places, Snohomish, and Snoqualmie. I miss the rian, I love the rain, and there was plenty of it. Seattle is a beautiful place with all four seasons, which we don't have here where we live.

• L2G's Profile Photo

L2G's General Tip

by L2G Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: My first experience moving to The Big City was moving to Seattle. I lived there from 1991 to 2000. I still live within easy driving and busing distance, and I still have friends there who I visit regularly. It's small enough for me not to feel completely lost, but big enough to feel like there's always something to do somewhere.

• londonbabe's Profile Photo

See the Experience Music...

by londonbabe Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: See the Experience Music Project.
    I didn't bother going in (ok ok I admit I turned up too early before they opened).
    Just wandering around admiring Gehry's jaw dropping design was enough.

Fondest memory: The crab dinner .. mmmmmmmmmm .. with a glass of chilled Californian Chardonnay.

• muse_chik's Profile Photo

muse_chik's General Tip

by muse_chik Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: Oh goodness. While in seattle, we had these walkie-talkie things with a radius of 2 miles. we used them to keep track of each other on the highway- and they were great. We all had our own little 'code names' and names for the car. Inadvertantly, we picked up signals from around the seattle area, and ended up having numerous conversations with locals. it was great- until we somehow managed to insult one, got yelled at in spanish, and had to make a run for it as we recieved death threats. lol. it was great!!

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Earthquake

by Sunshine64 Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Missing the earthquake. I was in Colorado on a business trip (the story of my life), and I missed the earthquake that hit Seattle in February, 2001. Luckily, this was pretty much the extent of the damage in my apartment:

• mak23's Profile Photo

This really depends on your...

by mak23 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: This really depends on your preference. If you like tourist sites, obviously check out the Pike Place Market to start and there's a several department stores all over downtown if you like to shop. There's a coffee shops and a homeless person on every block so be prepared to be overwhelmed if you are from the east coast.

Fondest memory: Rented a car to go outside of Seattle and checked out Snoqualmie Falls (sight of 'Twin Peaks' lodge). To be honest, I wouldn't want to live in Seattle but outskirts looked absolutely beautiful and if you like nature stuff, you'll probably want to live here.

• falicia2000's Profile Photo

West Seattle Family...

by falicia2000 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: West Seattle Family YMCA

4515 36th Avenue SW
    Seattle, WA 98126-2788

(206) 935-6000
    fax: (206) 938-1676

This is my hang out when I'm not on VT, I spend alot of time in some of the wonderful programs they offer. When you visit Seattle, and you want a good place to work out with alot of friendly people.. this is the place to go! You don't have to buy a membership you can pay for the day.

It's good to bring the kids, they have programs and day camps and daycare for the little ones. I love the kickboxing classes and yoga, I will be taking Karate next month and I am so excited to begin, I figure with the kickboxing and karate I can protect my boyfriend lol

Fondest memory: Cardiovascular equipment