Related Seattle Favorites Tips

Magic escalator to the book stacks
    Street view
    Reading on the topfloor

Most Viewed Favorites in Seattle

• starship's Profile Photo

Seattle City Pass

by starship Updated Jun 10, 2008

Favorite thing: If you're one of those people who really likes to see as much as possible (barely making restroom stops!) for the least amount of money, then the Seattle City Pass may be just right for you! For one all inclusive price, you get admission to several attractions in Seattle: Seattle Aquarium, Argosy Cruise Harbor Tour, the Pacific Science Center, and the Woodland Park Zoo! Options can be added such as the "Experience Music Project," and Science Fiction Museum. Can you top that?!?! (NOTE: Please check their website for any changes!!!! The included admissions have changed substantially since 2006!) You have 9 days from first use of a ticket to use all remaining tickets in the booklet. Check for other discounts for restaurants or tours in the booklet as well.

This ticket can be bought on-line and at all the above mentioned attractions. Prices for 2004 range from $44.00 for adults to $29 for youths 4 -13 yrs old (2008 prices).

Website: citypass.com/city/seattle.html

Fondest memory: I have to say I'm really sorry that I was the only one in the family who wanted to go to the aquarium so naturally, I didn't get to see it!

• tpal's Profile Photo

For That Picture Perfect View

by tpal Updated Mar 11, 2005

Favorite thing: When politicians and other dignitaries come to Seattle they look for a great background for that perfect photo-op. Well this is the place. Located on Queen Anne Hill, Kerry Park offers an unobstructed view the Seattle skyline and better still the signature Space Needle is prominent in the foreground. Kerry Park is located on West Prospect Street west off Queen Anne Avenue North in a wonderfully walkable section of Seattle. The traffic is light, the people are friendly and the views are magnificent.

• tpal's Profile Photo

Seemed Close Enough To Touch

by tpal Written Mar 10, 2005

Fondest memory: Unexpected travel revelations are the best. We were walking around Magnolia Park just off the tip of Magnolia Point and were look back toward the city of Seattle. If was a pretty hazy morning but it was trying to clear when suddenly we realized that what we were seeing was Mount Rainier exposing itself through the cloud horizon. While about 110 miles away the mountain's 14,410 foot elevation made it seem to appear to be just on the other side of the bay...spectacular!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

feel free

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 9, 2009

Favorite thing: You gotta love a town that you can see a volcano from and Seattle has Mount Rainier looming in the distance. Actually, it looks closer than it is since it's so big and rises from such a lower plateau. Make sure to get into position if the weather is clear, it's not a sight you want to miss.

Fondest memory: “The laundry is over here, feel free,” just might be the sweetest words ever muttered to a couple on a six-month tent camping trip. The laundry was right across from “our room” and all of this was in the home of an old friend. Well, if it had been my old friend from childhood it would more expected. But I had met him only once at Munich's Oktoberfest no less and I had to be forgiven for a hazy at best recollection.

No, this was Doreen's friend that she had worked with in Munich and while they had been close at the time, that time was very much in the past. She really didn't know what to expect but we had made plans to stay with him and his wife in their new home in Seattle. He had married an American girl and had since relocated much as my wife had. So, they certainly had lots in common but when you have little contact for a long time, there are no guarantees that the friendships once shared will be the same.

We had been camping our way around the US National Parks for three and a half months. Though we had stayed in the occasional room and one friend had already spotted us a bed, most of those nights were spent in a tent. It had been an amazing experience especially on the occasions we had spent in the vast backcountry that make up the best part of our National Park system. Things had gone like clockwork through Yosemite but after a nice leisurely time in Northern California and Oregon, we were ready to get “back to work.” (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Photography

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a way of making you feel like you're home: friends

by richiecdisc Written Nov 9, 2009

Fondest memory: We had come to Seattle from Mount Rainier National Park where heavy winter snow accumulation and late snow melt combined to thwart our best efforts to return to the wilderness. We managed only one night backpacking and left the park with our tails between our legs. The plan now was to soothe our bruised egos in Seattle and march into Olympic National Park ready to conquer. All we needed was a comfortable place from which to do it all. A cheap motel would do in a pinch but really there's no place like home.

The words “feel free” were uttered matter-of-factly and there was no doubt of their sincerity. For three days we did just that, soaking up Seattle's caffeine infused culture, sampling the city's fine brews, and getting reacquainted with friends over many great meals.

Olympic called us and with rejuvenated souls we went there to topple all that we had done so far in the backpacking world. It would have been hard to leave if we were not going home. It may not have been our real home but real friends have a way of making you feel that way and in Seattle, we know we have just that.

• Photography

Amazon.com

by jamiesno Updated May 14, 2005

Favorite thing: For all those dot com lovers and aspiring entrepreneurs you will know that Seattle is the place to be. You and Bill Gates could possibly stroll the University of Washington campus together, LOL.

In this picture you can see the Amazon.com headquarters. I took this picture from the Smith Tower. The building used to be a hospital that the company renovated but it’s a little piece of evidence how well those that survived the dot com boom really done.

Cheif Seattle and I

by jamiesno Updated May 14, 2005

Favorite thing: In all the places I visit I think it is always interesting to learn how it got its name. Seattle was no different so I was paying close attention to things and I can tell you it was named after and old chief who¡¦s name was Seattle and he happened to be friends with a famous character in Seattle history Doc Maynard.

In the book the Sons of the Profits by Bill Speidel they talk about Chief Seattle and his relationship with the early white pioneers. Everything then and now was about making money, money, money. It turns out the Chief was no different. He was very upset that they were actually going to name the town after him. According to his spirits every time someone speaks your name after death you would role over in your grave. If that is true Chief Seattle is spinning around frantically right now.

There were other possible names for the town. At one point they even tried calling in New York but it was having negative implications for the town. People like Doc Maynard where set on using the name Seattle so they agreed to pay the chief a royalty for the use of his name. Ever resident of the town actually paid an extra tax to pay for it. Apparently the Chief died a very rich man but the pioneers where not stupid. This among other strategic moves saved Seattle from sure battles with the Indians throughout its early history.

Living a privileged life didn¡¦t make Chief Seattle exactly popular amongst his people. He was often thought of as a traitor for selling out to these white pioneers but as I mentioned in Seattle it was all about making money, money, money!

So there you have a little bit of history as I remember it from oral and written history and here in the picture I am with none other than Chief Seattle himself ļ.

Seattle Police

by jamiesno Updated May 13, 2005

Favorite thing: Here in this tip I just wanted to show a picture of a Seattle police officer on his bike. Seattle was one of the first cities to have officers patrol on a pedal bike. I walked the downtown area of Seattle a lot and they were certainly visable on a regular basis. Either on bike, on foot or patrol cars. A couple of times they were active ushering along people that were just loitering around heavily used public areas.

West Edge Neighborhood

by jamiesno Written May 9, 2005

Favorite thing: West Edge Neighborhood is a long piece of real estate bordered by Western and Third avenues between Cherry and Lenora streets. Some of the most interesting places would have to include the Pike Place Market and the Seattle Art Museum.

Tip Top Creative, a graphic design and marketing firm in the neighborhood, worked with businesses on the new name. "West Edge" refers to the neighborhood's downtown location, as well as the "edgy" nature of its shops, which are mostly independent merchants.

Whether the new name will stick is anybody's guess, but the neighborhood will try to make "West Edge" a lasting Seattleism by promoting it heavily.

Fondest memory: http://www.downtownseattle.com/

Strange Street Stories!

by jamiesno Updated May 13, 2005

Favorite thing: After spending a lot of time exploring the downtown of Seattle, I mean hours of time doing this you meet a lot of people and you see a lot of odd scenes. One of the funnier, gross, odd or whatever you want to call it was when the blond in this picture decided to expose one of her cheeks for one city block to show off her tatoo to everyone in sight. I wasn't able to get a picture of the tatoo for you VTers, sorry :-)

At the bus stop I witnessed some guy hollering obsenities at the world, a homeless person not asking people for money but for them to smile, another guy claiming the police where communist, young travelers requiring money for dogfood, an angry couple after being questioned by the police, a nice guy from Alaska in Seattle on a stop over and now taking route 174 to the airport while I was heading to the Museum of Flight. On the way back a young girl in a panic to get to a job interview needed my cell phone to let them know she would be late :-( She was a volunteer at the museum and interested in aviation industry and almost caught her mother who drove by while she waited for route 174. A family from Bainbridge Island who visited Mount St. Helen's for the first time, a young student tourist from Asia and a graduated engineering student from the UK. I am sure there were probably many more!

I always wonder where people are off to and in Seattle it was nice chatting with a few of them. A hospitable crowd to say the least.

Seattle News

by jamiesno Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: Here in Canada on satelline we get the Komo 4 news all the time. http://www.komotv.com/

But I really liked this picture I got. This is their news helicoper but I got this view of it from the Space Needle.

When I went back down on the street I got some more pictures then as it took off and went to get some news I guess.

Washington State Ferry View

by jamiesno Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: I have another tip with lots of information on the Washington State ferry but I wanted to give you another picture.

As you can see you get another great angle on the city from Elliott Bay.

The cruise ship in the pictures didn't seem all that big when I was there but looking at it now in comparison to the downtown buildings, that is one big cruise ship!!

Washington State License Plate

by jamiesno Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: I know some people collect weird things like license plates so if you are curious about those sorts of things here is a Washington State plate.

It's the Evergreen State!

When your from rural Canada you tend to say from time to time, "hey look that car is from Florida!" and so on. LOL.

I thought the owner of the vehicle might not of wanted they plate number on line so I messed up that part. Cheers!

Street Performers

by jamiesno Updated May 29, 2005

Favorite thing: I remember really enjoying the feel of the streets in Seattle. They were very lively with lots of activity and the performers make the trekking around more enjoyable that's for sure.

This guy was playing some jazz in one of the small park areas.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Buy a City Pass

by joiwatani Updated Jan 18, 2009

Favorite thing: If you are planning to visit Seattle, make sure to buy a City Pass. With the City Pass, you can visit 5 famous Seattle attractions for one low price. You can visit the Museum of Flight, Argosy Harbor Tours Cruise, Woodland Park Zoo, Pacific Science Center and Seattle Aquarium. You actually save about $53.25 if you buy the City Pass which only cost $39.50. The City Pass is good for nine days fromt the first use./

Call this number: 707-256-0490

The website is www.citypass.com

Here's the price of the City Pass:

Adults $49.50 (a savings of $54.35)
    Youth: 3-12 years old: $24.00 (a savings of $24.00)

Fondest memory: There is nothing like going to the Space Needle and visiting the Pike Place Market.

Seattle Hotels

Fairfield Inn Seatac Airport
Latest: Apr 5, 2014
Courtyard By Marriott Lake Union

Instant Answers: Seattle

Comments

Seattle Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Seattle locals.
Map of Seattle