Caffe Minnie's, Seattle

by davequ
  • davequ's Profile Photo

Caffe Minnie's: Late late or early eclectic Breakfast

by davequ Updated May 13, 2005

Caffe Minnies is open 24 hours, but I've only tried it at either very late after the clubs and bars close, or very very early in the morning (e.g. around 5 am).

I asked the late night front desk person in the Westin downtown sometime around 3:30 4:00 am where I could grab a good breakfast, and she mentioned this place.

Minnies has sort of a "street" / bohemian personality with lots of character and more than a few characters for staff and customers, but as an ex-musician it was right up my alley, .. the kind of place that is perfect to have breakfast after a gig at 3:30 in the morning.

All the free papers to read (Seattle weeklies) while you wait for your breakfast, excellent people-watching, my waitress was really kind and helpful, and the food was great.

I'm not a "hair-of-the-dog" type person, but if you're either trying to avoid, postpone, or recover from a hangover, this would be one good place to do it.

The mens john was a blizzard of grafitti, but clean.

Caffe Minnies and the 5-Point Cafe are two places any nightowl or adventurous soul would not want to miss.

(We used to have the Oasis/Last American Diner in Boulder which was very similar, but it closed, so I really enjoyed Minnies)

Favorite Dish: I had the "Frank Sinatra" omelet. Really delicious, with italian sausage, garlic & mushrooms & gawd knows what else, but it was tasty.

I managed to abstain from the bloody marys, but they probably make a decent one here.

Coffee (as expected) was really good also.

Cheap too.

Caffe Minnies at ~ 4am Wed 3/16/05

• tracynew72's Profile Photo

Cafe Minnies - 24 hour cafe: For breakfast, try the Dutch Babies -- YUUMMM!!!!!

by tracynew72 Updated Dec 5, 2003

a very cool, very lively local diner... think HUGE hot breakfasts and a lively service staff that occassionally sings and "shakes their groove thang" to the disco playing in the kitchen... if you can't handle the question "Smoking or Non?" when you enter a restaurant, perhaps this place isn't for you... but if you can handle the fact that someone may be chainsmoking a pack of Marlboros in the back of the Flat Iron shaped diner, you will LOVE this place!

Favorite Dish: Order the DUTCH BABIES...they are worth the wait!
    (takes 25 minutes to prepare, so don't order if you are in a hurry...) Think Soufflet style pancake.... melts in your mouth and is like nothing else I have had for breakfast.
    I don't like pancakes and almost passed this up - I am happy I didn't!

Actually, what we did was order a breakfast and split a Dutch Baby for desert.

(The photo is of Eggs, Ground Sirloin and Breakfast Potatoes... I did not get a photo of the Dutch Baby - it went too fast!!)

For a Dutch Baby recipie and information, see link below: