Chinese / Japanese Cuisine, Seattle

4 out of 5 stars 34 Reviews

Various outlets and locations

• Chinese / Japanese Cuisine
    by Blue_Boris
    The children in the dragon show
    by joiwatani
    The dragon goes around the restaurant
    by joiwatani
  • glabah's Profile Photo

Ga Ga Loc: Not Touristy but Genuine Chinese American

by glabah Updated Jan 6, 2011
    Ga Ga Loc on Corner of Maynard and Garden

The "International District" as it is called is the old part of town where Asian immigrants from all over eastern Asia once came to do business, get their family associations settled, look for work, eat, and even arrange marriages.

In recent days, there has been an effort to try to convert the "International District" to more of a tourist area, but there are also many places in this area that still market themselves primarily to the Asian resident.

Ga Ga Loc is one of these holdouts. There isn't much on the walls to attract tourists, and there isn't even that much in the windows that would get a tourist attention. The specials board is written in Chinese, and many of the items are available uncooked to take home for use as part of home cooked meals - part Asian grocery store and part restaurant.

Yet, the outside trade is certainly coming. Among the customers I counted an African taxi driver whose accent I could not place into a particular region of Africa, and a young couple that appeared to be tourists.

There is a fairly wide variety of things on the menu.

However, if you are looking for a dingy half-painted relic of the past, this isn't it: it is fairly sterile and modern in here, and not at all a relic of the past of the district.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Fried Rice, at $7.50, is less expensive than the seafood fried rice ($8.95), and is a fairly nice pile of food for the price. However, many of the dishes available here are a bit less - in the $7 range.

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Village Sushi: Small Japanese Restaurant, University-Side

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Aug 16, 2010

Village Sushi is a pretty restaurant, in an old house tucked in the University District of Seattle. Offering a selection of Japanese fare, it also serves up a nice slice of atmosphere. You can sit inside at one of about a dozen small intimate tables, or out on the front porch (when the weather's nice, at least). Jazz is playing in the background... how often do you get to eat sushi and listen to old jazz classics??

The menu is simple, but straightforward. A selection of traditional Japanese food, mixed in with a couple new fusion style dishes. On my trip there, I started with the beef negimaki. This was a beautiful dish, thin sliced beef rolled around green onions and lightly pan fried. It was topped with a thick teriyaki sauce and dried cherries. A nice bldn of Japanese and NW styles of cooking, and it was a delight. I also had the spicy tuna roll, which was shaved tuna mixed with chili paste and green onions. Both were delicious. They were accompanied by a side of miso soup, and a nice roasted green tea. A delicious meal.

For a peaceful dinner in the city, head to Village Sushi.

• glabah's Profile Photo

China Harbor: Great Chinese with View of Lake Union

by glabah Written Dec 4, 2009

entrance to China Harbor restaurant

Perhaps the most wonderful thing about this restaurant is the wonderful view it has of Lake Union. Few places near Lake Union compare with this one. The seating is upstairs along a windowed wall, providing a very impressive view.

But the food is good too!

Check the web site, as sometimes there are coupons there!

Watch the size of the menus on the web site, as they are huge - some 15 megs each.

In theory, the restaurant is rated as "One of America's top 100 Asian restaurants" but I an unwilling to try to compare China Harbor with anywhese else.

Lunch Hours: 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM
    Dinner Hours 4:30PM to 9:30 PM. Open until 10 on Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I highly recommend the General Tso's Chicken, at $12, and the tea.

• Blue_Boris's Profile Photo

Umi Sake House: More Social than Sushi

by Blue_Boris Written Jun 23, 2009

First impressions can fool you. This restaurant was stylish and open and airy and busy with lots of customers who looked like they were happy. I am guessing that they were not very familiar with classic sushi or that they considered the food at Umi’s to be something else altogether. It is somewhat more like an Izakaya bar than a sushi bar. People were dressed casually and came in in couples or large groups. They do have a large selection of (cold) sake and only 2 types of hot sake. They appear to favor making very large combination rolls with mayonnaise as one of the primary ingredients and many of them have jalapeno or other peppers that essentially wipe out the taste of the fish. They had several innovative forms of salads, which I liked. I was with a small group so I did not get to taste a large cross section of the menu. I was tremendously disappointed by the omakaze I ordered because all they did was bring out – all at the same time, without any kind of order such as most subtle tasting to richest tasting, and without any customization of the order which is what omakaze is about – a tray of one of each type of the most common nigiri sushi. It was not even fresh! It had been preprepared and was dull (no gloss or moisture on the surface of the fish) and stale tasting. The thing I would recommend most about Umi’s is that you try the food that is not sushi and just think of it as some completely different kind of restaurant, because decent sushi it is not.

Favorite Dish: I had both an octopus carpachio salad and a seaweed salad that were excellent. Both of them were what they were described to be in the menu, without excess spice or mayonnaise or dressing.

Todai: All you can eat Sushi

by joiwatani Updated Mar 7, 2009

Todai Restaurant

If you have been to Todai Restaurant in Honolulu, Hawaii, then you know that Todai is really, really good!

There is an array of sushi. It's an all you can eat Sushi restaurant. If you love Sushi, then this is the place. Bring your appetite as the fee is expensive. You don't like to waste your money!

The restaurant has different kinds of soup like misu soup, sweet and sour soup and the hot and spicy mixed seafood soup.

Besides the all you can eat sushi bar, the restaurant also has a variety of Chinese food to choose from.

Also, when you are celebrating your birthday that day, just show your driver's license or any proof of your birthday, and you will have free food!

After you are done eating, go to their desert bar and you can feast on all their deserts! There is an attendant there whom you can request for a fresh crepes with bananas and/or strawberry fillings on it then top it with powdered sugar and maple syrup. Yum!

Most of the people who come here are Asian Americans but you will also find some Caucasians. The restaurant is really famous for Asians though. Sometimes, you will find them in their ethnic outfits.

The restaurant stop serving lunch at 2:00 pm.

Favorite Dish: I love the tempura shrimps and the spicy seafood soup. Of course, the sushi.

The desert? I love the crepes with banana fillings.

Mandarin Gate: Cheap and fast service

by joiwatani Written Mar 7, 2009

The Mandarin Gate Restaurant

When you are rushing and want good food and sit down fine dining, just go to Mandarin Gate. It is a very nice Chinese Restaurant. The service is really fast and the food is really good.

This restaurant is located about 10 blocks from my work and I never realized how inexpensive this restaurant was.

The tables are all covered in white linen with a glass protecting the linen. There are white China ware and a fine water glass, fork and spoon ready for the guests to be served.

Everyday, the restaurant has a Special Soup, Special Menu for the day and the price is mostly $5.95 only. The soup in a cup is $1.95.

My co-workers come here because we only have an hour of lunch time. Most of the time, we still have 15 minutes to burnt since the service of this restaurant is really fast.

Favorite Dish: I love their asparagus and shrimp, a special of the day on Tuesdays. It is serves in white sauce with small cut size asparagus and deveined shrimps. It is also served with two fried chicken wings on the side.

The egg flour soup is really, really good! For color of the soup, the restaurant put some green peas.

Golden Daisy Restaurant: Another Dim Sum in Seattle

by joiwatani Written Jan 18, 2009

There are many Dim Sum restaurants that are really, really good in Seattle. One is the Kowloon Restaurant which is located at the end of the International District. Now, there is a brand new one which is located in South Seattle.

The restaurant is called Golden Daisy Restaurant. Not sure why most of the Chinese restaurants have names like Golden or Lucky. But, definitely, when you are in South Seattle, try this restaurant.

They have Dim Sum, Barbecued Food to Go and Catering.

The business hours are Monday - Saturday from 9:00 m - 8:00 pm.
    Sunday is from 9:30 am to 7:00 pm.

The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays!

Favorite Dish: The restaurants have tons of food to choose from: appetizers, soup, noodle soup, congee, rice, fried rice andchow mein, seafood, beef, chicken, pork, vegetable...They have lunch special, too.

The dim sum includes the ham bao, meat bun steamed bbq bun, rice rolls, shrimp rice roll, bee rice roll, pork rice roll, bbq pork rice roll, mushroom rice roll and onion dried shrimp rice roll. There is also a black bean sauce chicken feet, beef meat ball, shrimp dumpling, steamed shui mai, steamed spareribs, Malaysia cake, Stikcy rice in lotus leaf, deep fried sesame ball and deep fried dumpling! Yum!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Kowloon Restaurant: Kowloon Restaurant!

by joiwatani Updated Dec 1, 2008

The dragon show at Kowloon Restaurant

This restaurant is famous for its Dim Sum and it's being flocked by many Seattlelites because of its fine Chinese cuisine. The restaurant is very authentic and there Dim Sum service is very fast! This makes it very easy for travellers who are on the go and local residents who just come in and eat on their lunch hour break.

The restaurant is on the fourth floor of the Pacific Building and has a lot of parking. This is a convenience of customers since Seattle has the worst parking situation in the Nortwest!

I didn't really like to pay for parking or look around for parking when I go to restaurants, so Kowloon Restaurant is the solution! There is no problem in parking.

Favorite Dish: As a family, we order the Dim Sum since it is fast and it is very easy. A server with its pushcart of food will roam around the restaurant and all I had to do is pick what I want to eat!

I love their steamed "bok choy" vegetables and I also love their dumplings.

Golden City Seafood Restaurant: Golden City Seafood Restaurant

by joiwatani Written Dec 1, 2008

Your restaurant for lunch, dinner and midnight snacks!

All your home-style dishes!

Lots of family-style dinners tochoose from.

Make reservations to this restaurant if you want.

The business hours are:

Sunday-Thursdays: 11:00 am -2:00 am
    Friday-Saturday- 11:00 am - 3:00 am

Favorite Dish: Beef broccolli, egg-drop soup, sweet and sour pork

Super Buffet Chinese Restaurant: Super Buffet Chinese Restaurant

by joiwatani Updated Dec 1, 2008

This is a buffet all you can eat restaurant in Seattle.
    Open Hours

Carry out Buffet:
    Lunch: $4.99
    Dinner: $5.99
    Seafood Only: $8.99

Favorite Dish: I love Chinese soup -egg drop noodle soup. But this is a buffet restaurant. You can eat whatever you want!

• daleka's Profile Photo

Daimonji: The only place for okonomiyaki in Seattle

by daleka Written Aug 31, 2007

I've been to Daimonji on three or four occasions, only at night and sometimes just before close. My boyfriend and I were searching for the delicious Japanese dish of okonomiyaki, which is something like a cabbage, egg, and flour pancake with any kind of topping. Daimonji really seems to be the only Japanese restaurant in Seattle that serves them, and believe me, I've looked hard, and I live here. When my boyfriend and I came one night when it was slow, we ordered maki sushi, but the sushi chef challenged us to eat nigiri sushi, and when I didn't eat it with proper form, he even gave me another piece after showing me how to eat it right. I also came here on Valentine's Day with my boyfriend and they gave us some extra pieces of sushi since it was closing. The staff has always been really nice, friendly and accommodating, even if it takes a while to get the food and the ambiance is nothing spectacular. Definitely a great place to check out, and the sushi is good, too.

Favorite Dish: Okonomiyaki! They have several different kinds, from avocado to bacon. They're all really good but pretty hearty, so if you're in the mood for something light like sushi, don't get this unless you're up for a challenge. I've heard it compared to "Japanese pizza" and I can understand why. The base stays the same, but the toppings vary. I could eat it every week, though, if not every day.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Purple Dot Cafe - Chinese Restaurant - Chinatown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 24, 2007

After having dinner in Chinatown, we wandered around looking for a good place to get dim sum for breakfast. While wandering around, we noticed the oddly-named Purple Dot Cafe had dim sum until early afternoon, so we decided to give it a shot the next day for lunch.

We arrived around 11am, and were seated at one of the few empty tables...yes, this large restaurant was that full on a Friday! We only wanted dim sum this fine morning, and we were not disappointed. We had three dishes--shrimp balls that I could have done without, regular old bbq beef bun, and some bean curd egg roll-type things (so I'm not good with the Chinese names of the food items!).

The food was all very good, especially the beef buns. Our total bill was a very reasonable $15 considering the two of us were pretty full at the end of our meal. Service was iffy, especially when trying to get our bill, but I'd be willing to go back next time I'm in Seattle!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Jade Garden - Chinatown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jul 24, 2007

While walking through Chinatown in the rain, we stumbled upon the Jade Garden. Stereotypically name for a Chinese restaurant, but it looked cleaner and nicer than some of the others in the area. The interior was well-lit and decorated with a creative mix of vines, bonzai trees and a big brass Buddha.

For dinner we decided on the beef congee ($5), the restaurant's "special" soup ($10), and the Szechuan shrimp ($10) with tea and white rice. It was tasty, but way too much food at around $30 for two of us! The beef congee was exactly like I remember it in Hong Kong, a thick porridge-like soup made of rice with some thin yet tough slices of beef mixed in...topped with some hot sauce and it was good. The special soup was a unique mix of just about everything in the kitchen including shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, squid, and several other items, along with a mix of vegetables. Finally, the Szechuan shrimp was also a nice dish, but not too spicy.

Open late! Seven days a week 9:00 a.m.-2:30 am. It is said they have some of Seattle's best dim sum, which is served all day.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Four Seas: Dim Sum!

by heryanta Written Jul 15, 2007

A friend of me who lives in Bellevue with his family took me to this restaurant; so I can say it was recommended by the locals :)

It looks like other authentic dim sum places I've been; with the slight difference that the carts that are being pushed around has a portable stove on them, so that when you order a fried dish they will fry it next to your table, thus ensuring that the dish is serve steaming hot.

Food was really good and it was dirt cheap. There were three of us and the bill came to $28. I would definitely go back here my next trip to Seattle.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Fuji Sushi: Authentic Japanese

by heryanta Written Jul 15, 2007

My friends who live in Seattle took me here, so the restaurant is recommended by the locals :)

I'm happy that they did as the food was excellent! I ordered a bunch of stuff and they were all good: make sure you order the soft shell crab tempura as they were delightful.
    Ingredients were fresh and the prices were good too. We each had a bento box with miso soup, and about 4 other dishes to share and the total bill came to about $80 for four people.

We went there without reservation on a Saturday evening and had to wait about 20 minutes - not bad, but we spent about 15 minutes trying to find parking :p

Instant Answers: Seattle