Books and Maps (travel), Seattle

Know about this? Rate It!

lost in a sea of books
    by yooperprof
  • Books and Maps (travel)
    by HasTowelWillTravel
    AAA building from my hotel window
    by grandmaR
  • yooperprof's Profile Photo

Books and Maps (travel): Elliott Bay Books

by yooperprof Written Aug 17, 2012

lost in a sea of books

The Seattle area is home to Amazon.com, but it is also home to one of the finest (and surviving) independent bookstores in the US: Elliott Bay Books. Any bibliophile should make an effort to come to the store - and actually purchase a book! Elliott Bay Books was originally located in the Pioneer Square neighborhood, but they have survived the move to Capitol Hill with their values - and selection - intact. One key feature of Elliott Bay Books is the large number of in-store events that they plan. It's was satifying to see the bookstore busy on a lovely summer evening.

What to buy: Excellent selection of books by Seattle-based authors, and a large range of titles that relate to the Pacific Northwest in general

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

AAA Office: Maps and postcards

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

AAA building from my hotel window

I wanted to get some maps of Seattle and the AAA Travel guide. I hadn't had time to get them before I left. Since I could see the AAA office from my hotel window, I walked down there to pick up the maps etc, which were free to me because I was a AAA member.

What to buy: I also bought postcards for $4.22. I don't remember exactly how many I bought.

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Metsker Maps of Seattle: Awesome Map/Travel Store

by HasTowelWillTravel Updated Jan 4, 2009

Metsker Maps of Seattle is one of the coolest shops in Seattle. It is a travel store, combining all sorts of maps and accessories. Metsker has maps of all kinds and sizes. Travel maps from all continents and most cities. Large Educational maps, globes, and special editions, wall maps, historical maps and more. But Metsker doesn't stop there. It carries the largest selection of travel books I've ever seen, from Fodor's to Lonely Planet and beyond, for all continents. It is the smaller items that Metsker carries that elevates it beyond a normal store. It is the topographic maps for hiking all through Washington, tidal charts and nautical maps for kayaking and boating. It is the whole case of map pins and flags. It is the globes of Mars, the language books, spyglasses and vintage map readers and compasses. Without a doubt it is a place to visit and get lost in dreams of travel.

Neighborhood: Downtown

Store Hours
    M-F 9-6
    S-S 10-6

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Metsker Maps: A travellers type of shop!

by worldkiwi Written Sep 10, 2006

Metsker Maps, Seattle.

Metsker Maps is the type of shop a geographer or traveller just loves. The shop sells maps, photos, guidebooks and other geographic paraphernalia. Even if your backpack is already chock full, this shop is worth a browse!

What to buy: Maps, travel and geography related games, guide books, posters.

• Elliott Bay Books: Elliott Bay Books

by Naradja Written Jul 24, 2006

This bookstore's selection is skimpy in parts, but it has plenty of books to poke around in and explore. I love the atmosphere - clean wood floors and shelves in a labrynth of aisles and corners, with a sale loft and a used book back room. The staff was great - I even overheard staff directing a customer to a store that might have what he requested that they did not have. That is great service.

• leebee1's Profile Photo

Books and Maps (travel): The Elliot Bay Book Company.

by leebee1 Updated Nov 5, 2004

Not a great pic, but this is it!

I absolutely adored this book shop! It was so nice and cozy, with floor to ceiling book cases, and ladders that ran along so you could reach (or so they could). This store is divided into seperate sections, with an upstairs travel loft, and a downstairs cafe. They seem to have a staff member for each different section. I particularly loved the hand written reviews attatched to the books. They also have a secondhand section. Long wooden tables and chairs are positioned cenrally, so if you want to grab something and have a browse. I could rave on and on....We dont have anything like this at home. This is a book lovers paradise!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Metzker Maps of Seattle: All Your Map Needs

by aussiedoug Written Mar 12, 2004

We just stumbled across this one when we were looking for another place & we needed a couple of maps for driving so we went in tol this neat little shop.

Very ordinary, down-to-earth place and I still my long sleeve t-shirt from there that's starting to fall apart now, but I still love it.

I was wearing it (jeans too of course LOL!) and a Seattle cap in abig shopping centre one day when I hear this voice, "HEY, SEATTLE (yes my reader a strong American accent!). So I turn round go back & she's real chuffed because it turns out she's from Seattle. She & husband were sailing round the world, staying in Sydney & she was working for one of our Radio Stations! Small world after all eh?

What to buy: Well, as explained above, the maps and the long sleeve tee both came in handy.

So for any of your mapping requiremens while visiting the Emerald City I would heartily recommend Metzker's Maps at the address below. You can even buy a tee shirt too!

What to pay: Whatever the going rate for those items happens to be. They weren't anymore expensive than I would have expected

• Sailing and Boating

Metsker Maps: Bookstore for Travelers (2): Metsker Maps

by goshawk301 Updated Feb 6, 2004

Metsker is the place for everything geographic. The store has all kinds of maps, charts, atlases, globes - for everyone from armchair travelers to expedition planners. It also carries a wide selection of guidebooks. They have recently moved up the street from the old Pioneer Square location to between Pike and Pine.

Wide World Books and Maps: Bookstore for Travelers (3): Wide World

by goshawk301 Written Jan 18, 2004

Wide World is "Da Place" for us, travelers! It claims to be the first specialized travel-related bookstore in the U.S. The forte of the place is guidebooks - for every conceivable region of the planet. They also carry maps and charts, travel literature, and gear. They hold author apperarances and slide shows. Perhaps most significantly, through their own travel and info from customers, the store staff has built up significant travel expertise that can help you in all matters travel related.

Flora and Fauna Books: Bookstore for Travelers (1): Flora and Fauna

by goshawk301 Written Jan 18, 2004

Flora and Fauna is exactly what the name indicates - every kind of books about Nature, plant and animal life can be found here. Guidebooks, field guides, nature essays, books on gardening, etc. etc. both new and used. Birdwatching books are particularly well represented. It's a dream place to browse if you are a naturalist.

Flora and Fauna occupies part of the lower level of the Maynard Buildling on the corner of 1st Ave. S. and Main. One of these Pioneer Square buildings whose ground floor became basement when the level of the area was raised. You can enter from outside, down a short flight of steps. You may not be able to get out, if you are a nature lover like me.

Instant Answers: Seattle