Downtown Seattle, Seattle

Know about this?

• When you are nearing a ramp, focus! Be alert!
    When you are nearing a ramp, focus! Be...
    by joiwatani
    Be alert and be aware of road signs!
    by joiwatani
    Watch out as you get close to a ramp!
  • The Seattle Experience

by sweeety340 Written Aug 28, 2012

While I realized that Seattle is a big city but I was surprized that it fit my expectations of New York City. Perhaps coming from a small town I really had no idea. The city was very busy. There is the feel that everyone is trying to work, and make the american dream while other areas feel like you have been at the fair 6 hours past your ready to go time. LOL There are also alot of homeless people. Every corner seemed to have one or many people. We walked everywhere on our day visit. I could have probably spent more time in the Pike Market. It was really cool when the guy threw a huge whole fish at a customer. My son in law was approached by a homeless man at the ATM but it wasn't dangerous. The people playing music for money were cool. The only time I felt uneasy was after we crossed the ferry back to Bremerton, and walked to the parking garage. The walk was fine, but as we approached the parking garage there were three very large men that standing just outside the door. Nothing happened but I really felt like it could have been real trouble....but maybe not?

• Capitol Hill

by mickeyc Written Jun 7, 2009

Seattle is an awesome place, I've never lived there but visited multiple multiple times while my sister lived there, I've never had a problem walking alone or being out after dark.

Now, that being said; When my husband was attending college there a few years back he went walking on Capitol Hill by the comunity college and maybe it was wrong place/wrong time, but he was mugged by a samoan gang, completely smashed his jaw and bruised/fractured a few other parts. All the gang got was 40.00 and a good time I guess. Luckily my husband only got a metal plate in his jaw and lost a few credits at college but, it's just good to keep a good watch don't act sketchy, stand your ground and it's never a bad idea to keep pepper spray on hand.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Be aware of the road signs, they're confusing!

by joiwatani Written Sep 10, 2007

Be alert and be aware of road signs!

The road signs in Seattle are very tricky-especially downtown. The distances between ramps are very close to each other and as a driver, you have to be alert at all times! A new road was created to accommodate the fans that goes to the new stadium - Seahawks stadium and it created a huge traffic mess in downtown Seattle. The road is up and working now. However, the ramps that were created were close to each other and if you are not paying attention to the signs, you will end up getting to a different exit!

• Seattle Safety, Crime and Such

by Giomatti Updated Mar 18, 2007

I lived in Seattle for 2 yrs right downtown at Harbor Steps Apartments by Pike Place Market and close to Pioneer Sq. I worked in Belltown so I pretty well covered the whole downtown. For an American City it is fairly safe. I never felt threatened and I walked home from work through Belltown at 11 at night sometimes. There always seems to be safe stretches of roads to walk through no matter where you are. And I saw several women at night who also walked alone home. They stick to the main drags like 4th Ave and Pike etc but keep the pace up and cell phone handy.

I am in San Francisco now and I only wish I felt as safe as Seattle or Vancouver, B.C. And here comes my bias. I am from Vancouver, Canada and lived in Toronto and Montreal. In North America you just can't beat a Canadian city for safety. When my fiance and I move places in the US we measure every city by how safe it is comparison to Canadian cities or Seattle. I had a lot of convincing to do to get her to San Fran but she loves Seattle and would have stayed in Seattle easily. I also lived in Honolulu and it is one of the few cities that is safer than most Canadian cities. I have also lived in East Coast cities but that isn't the topic here. Same idea though.

And since I am an engineer I am a number guy and have looked up the statistics to back that up. Seattle is twice as safe as San Fran in terms of violent crimes. Almost closer to 3 times as safe.

On the other hand a lady at my office had a homeless person pull a knife on her when she was going to work in the morning in Belltown but he quickly took off without anything. So, it is possible! And years before I got there there apparently were some Belltown murders. I even used to walk home past the methadone clinic on 4th which is a focal point of the homeless people. That apparently shifted the shady element from Pioneer Square to Belltown even though Belltown is looking more upscale and yuppieish all the time. Still I saw no problems and don't worry too much.

• Downtown safety

by terralily Written Jun 19, 2006

I've lived in Downtown Seattle for almost two years now and in the Capitol Hill area for two years before that. I have never ever been in danger. Let me stress this. Seattle is a city but an abnormally safe one. I regularlly work until 11:30 at night and walk home as do most of my co-workers and none of us have had any problems. I also tend to go out drinking at friends houses and walk home drunk(cabs are a rip-off in this city...if they even stop for you) at the wee-hours of the morning and have had fantastic conversations with other drunks.

What you will encounter are casual drug deals. Just ignore them. It is pot nothing more. They wont bother you as long as you don't stare, mouth agape, at them. Very aggressive panhandlers. The beggars have a very entitled attitude. They will stand in your way and occasionally yell at you if you don't give them money. Tell them no and then ignore them if they start yelling.

All in all as long as you don't act like a jackass tourist or a scaredy cat...you'll be fine.

• fritzrl's Profile Photo

Shady characters

by fritzrl Updated Mar 17, 2005

Pike street between 3rd Avenue and the Pike Place market can be an intimidating walk.

A number of homeless and/or alcoholics tend to congregate in that area.

Although they look menacing, most are harmless. Do be aware as you walk this stretch, though, just as you would in any large American city.

It's more annoying than dangerous.

If you would prefer to avoid them altogether, take a parallel street (Pine, Stewart) to the market. You'll need to backtrack only a block or so when you finally get to the market area.

• butte's Profile Photo

Warning if you plan to cram as...

by butte Written Aug 26, 2002

Warning if you plan to cram as many people as you can into a hotel room, the city of Seattle prohibits roll-away beds in rooms with already two beds, this presented a problem because there were four of us and only a king bed and a fold out couch bed. So, lets say someone had fun sleeping on the floor.

• S_Potatohead's Profile Photo

Watch out for flying fish at...

by S_Potatohead Written Aug 25, 2002

Watch out for flying fish at Pike Place market. You just might get a grouper to the side of the head. Worse yet, you might get assaulted like they did to me!

Visit the Travel Archive of my website: Spud's Travels for the tale

• Venturingnow's Profile Photo

Seattle is generally pretty safe

by Venturingnow Written Feb 3, 2003

Denny Way

I wandered around Seattle at the wee hours of the night and nothing happened to me, but, some parts of downtown are a little dodgy, just be careful out there.

Instant Answers: Seattle

• Jan 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Seattle is a lot safer than D. C., Atlanta, or Pittsburgh, or the eastern cities which have a 10X or 20X higher murder/crime rate.

I was born in Seattle in 1961, and except for five years between 1987 and 1991 (inclusive), I've generally not had any problems either working or living downtown. The panhandlers are aggressive, as others have said, and one got a little mouthy and called me names because I asked her to quit hanging around my business, so yeah, there is a sense of entitlement these people feel, but saying 'no' is better than a non-response. The only really parts of Seattle I consider dangerous are the Rainier Valley, a.k.a. Martin Luther King Way South and into north Renton, but then again, that kind of violence is usually gang related, but I wouldn't walk alone at night down there without some kind of protection. Downtown is fairly safe, but I would avoid First Avenue after midnight and the few blocks surrounding pioneer square, as some of the homeless people can get kind of aggressive.

If you are big and tall, then people will definitely not mess with you. I'm 6'1" 240 lbs. built like a Seahawks linebacker and I generally get respect wherever I go, but I imagine a petite woman walking alone would best to have a companion or escort in downtown areas at night.

The safest parts of Seattle are north of the Ship Canal, including most parts of Magnolia and Queen Anne, and I've never had any trouble on Capital Hill, but areas like Wallingford, Green Lake, Wedgewood, Ballard, Greenwood, Crown Hill, even Lake City are all congenial and people will leave you alone. Broadmoor, Sand Point and a few others are gated/secure communities with regular security patrols and are especially desirable areas to live. A good percentage of Seattle-ites work in Kirkland, Bellevue or Redmond, but commute to/from Seattle to avoid higher rents or to stay where there is more going on. All of these are nice areas, but the businesses tend to stay away from the downtown Seattle core because of parking problems, both for clients and employees, and also to avoid paying a higher city tax, hence the thick traffic around the north part of Lake Washington along Lake City Way, around to Bothell Way NE and down through 68th Ave. NE and the Juanita area, avoiding a $4.00 520 bridge toll in the process.

All in all, it works out, and I would rather live in Seattle than any other city I've been to, including Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Kansas City, El Paso, Phoenix, Omaha and a few others. It's nice being on the West Coast, since we are spared the brunt of the brutal summer heat that bakes the country's interior in July and August.

Thank God for the Pacific Northwest!