Helvetia Restaurants

• Drive slowly from Mill Creek and enjoy the backwoo
    Drive slowly from Mill Creek and enjoy...
    by Jerryjerow
  • Exterior view of
    Exterior view of "The Hutte"
    by donnadoright
  • Owner and hostess of
    Owner and hostess of "The Hutte"
    by donnadoright

Most Recent Restaurants in Helvetia

• The Hutte: European Comfort Food

by donnadoright Written Aug 25, 2010

The Hutte is a warm, charming country inn in the tiny hamlet of Helvetia, West Virginia. My family and I made the trip to Helvetia for the express purpose of having Sunday buffet at The Hutte ("u" has an umlaut). The meal was very tasty, warm; I would call it European "country cooking". Similar to food my grandmother cooked in my young days on the farm in the mountains of WV. The buffet had four meat offerings of chicken, beef, and two types of sausage. The side dishes were simple, but tasty, those being carrots, green beans, onion quiche, applesauce, parsleyed smashed potatoes, sauerkraut, fresh watermelon, and bread. There was a side table of a couple salads. My teenagers thought the salad dressing was especially good. Peach cobbler was served directly to us at the table for dessert. Nothing was lacking in flavor; I found the stewed/roasted chicken and onions especially flavorful and moist; the mustard for the bratwurst was sweet and tangy; my husband liked the Swiss cheese cubes. Price of the buffet was $21 per adult, which included drink and dessert. I'd go back just for the ambiance, but the food would be worth a return trip.

Favorite Dish: The chicken on the buffet was my favorite. It appeared to be whole chickens cut up to serving size. 'Looked almost like it was served in the pot it was cooked in, but this was appealing. The chicken was moist and flavored with cloves, I believe. It was different that any chicken I had tasted before. Others in our family liked the salad dressing, the applesauce, and the carrots.

Exterior view of Owner and hostess of
    • Motorcycle
    • Seniors

• The Hutte: Finest in the mountains

by michaeledds Written Feb 6, 2010

The menu at the Hutte Restaurant in Helvetia is only excelled by the graciousness of the hostess and the historic ambiance of the Hutte. The sweet tea, made with spring water and garnished with a mint sprig, is delicious. The bread and goat cheese are homemade. Fresh vegetables and locally-made dressing make the salads a gourmet treat. The meats are marinated with spices that make them uniquely Swiss. The homemade peach cobbler is the best I have ever tasted. In fact, I could make a meal just of the cobbler! The Hutte Restaurant and the village of Helvetia are a MUST SEE!

Favorite Dish: The whole menu is my favorite! However, the peach cobbler is the best I have ever tasted. It is my favorite.

• The Hutte: Authentic Swiss German

by Jerryjerow Written Aug 13, 2009

Most reviews of this place are great. I have eaten there several time and the food has always been good. There might be people who do not like the place because they have never really eaten in local German or Swiss places in those countries. I have eaten in many local German places in Bavaria and my daughter in law is German so I can say that the food is just like you would get in Germany. I do not think some American have the taste for German food much like I do not have the taste for French food like my sister in law does.

Favorite Dish: I have tried everything on the menu and the Sunday buffet and I like everything.

Drive slowly from Mill Creek and enjoy the backwoo
    • Photography

• The Hutte Resturant: Review of The Hutte Resturant

by mommaofboys Written Aug 2, 2009

The resturant is a cute little house that is very old and filled with antiques. It has limited seating and reservations they say are a good thing. The serve a buffet on Sunday that is like eating at your Grandma's on Sunday's. If your Grandma cooks with the blandest food in the world.
    My family and I saw this cute little Resturant on the Travel Channel and they roasted a deer. we were so excited. Yummy!! So we called and were informed of the Sunday dinner buffet and on our way we went.
    They offer a salad that was warm and had no flavor. hum.. Parsley potatoe with no butter or milk, salt pepper nothing just a rough mash. So dry and tastless. Sourkraut with dill and sugar, which may be for some but not me.
    Now lets talk about the meats, there were Brats that were to have been made on site, Johnsville's are so much better. Hamburger patties in tomato sauce. Some kind of beef strips in gravy that even my husband would not eat. And the winner is the chicken that looked like it had been cooked in the bile contents from a cow for about 12 hrs and did not taste much better.
    There was an onion egg pie that was just that no other seasonings.
    Peach cobbler for dessert.
    Now I read another review on this site of the Resturant who ranked this resturant as great and priced as under 10.00 per person.
    So as I set there eating the most disgusting meal I have ever had the misfortune of having to force into my mouth. I thought to myself we good thing we are only paying about 40.00 bucks for this crap for all four of us.
    Well our bill came and I thought for sure that I was going to throw up.
    My husband and I, meals were 22 and my 2 small children's meals were 16. My son got a coke also. This meal tip and all cost us 80.00 dollors
    Unless you like completely bland and tastless food, I don't recommend eating here at all.

Favorite Dish: The peach cobbler was ok I can make much better and the ice tea was good.
    The atmosphere is cute, but the food is gross. We are a family who will eat anything you name it we will eat it. If we can chase it down and rip its leg of its yummy to us. So we are not that particular and my husband would not even eat it. I thought it was the most disgusting food ever and I will eat leftovers that have been in the fridge for a week. I have eaten MRE's in the military that tasted better. If you are wanting to drive to see the pretty mountians and hills in WV go elsewhere trust me, those hills on that trip are not that pretty. Certainly do not waste your time and your money for that disgusting food.

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

The Hutte: Another interior view of "The Hutte"

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 22, 2005

this is another view of one of the many dining areas inside "The Hutte". The children enjoyed looking at the many items throughout the room.

While waiting for our food the children enjoyed a game of "I spy"..with the items throught the room..it was fun.

We didn't have to wait long and many of the rooms are private dining...awesome experience even for the kids.

Tayler (cousin's dau.) inside

The Hutte: Interior of Hutte Restaurant

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 22, 2005

This is an interior shot of "The Hutte" restaurant that offers authenic Swiss/German food. When we walked in, oh my goodness, the aroma from the food was mouth-watering.

We would definitely eat here again when in the area..Highly recommended.

Interior shot of one of the many dining areas

The Kutte: The Hutte

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 17, 2005

The Hutte Restaurant, heated by a wood stove, is filled with Swiss and American antiques, but the best part is the food. The Swiss are hearty eaters, and the fare at the Hutte is true to tradition. There is a full menu which includes many homemade Swiss specialties. The Hutte is open every day from noon to 7:00 p.m. On Sunday, a country buffet called "Bernerplatte" featuring many Swiss delights is served. It is best to call and make reservations. (304) 924-6435

Favorite Dish: Myself, my dau. and my cousin Shari with her two kids, ate here. It was very authenic. When we walked into the restaurant we were immediately hit with the smells of home cooking and it was devine.

Shari and I, who both lived in Germany, were very excited about the authenic foods. We both got Bratwurst sandwich on homemade bread with hot mustard..it came with side of hot german saurekraut and hot apple sauce..delish..recommend highly.

The kids all got chicken sandwiches on homemade bread, saurekraut and hot applesauce. we had tea and sodas to drink with a plate of homemade bread and butter. It was wonderful.

They offered a buffet, which we would have took eagerly if we had enough room in our stomachs..good prices also.

The Hutte Restaurant..pronounced Hoot-tay

Instant Answers: Helvetia

Comments

Helvetia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Helvetia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Helvetia sightseeing.