Morgantown Restaurants

Outback steak
    Sirloin, tomatoes and spinach

Best Rated Restaurants in Morgantown

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Applebees: generally a good restaurant

by davecallahan Updated Oct 30, 2007

Applebees is a chain of restaurants we frequent on our travels because of the consistently high quality of their restaurants from state to state. This establishment is no different.

You walk in and are greeted by the hostess who looks at the seating chart and finds you a table as quickly as possible (weekend evenings tend to be somewhat crowded and the wait can be a few minutes).
    The center of the restaurant is the bar area with high tables and stools around that and up a step or two is the main dining area like a horseshoe around the outside. Most of the dining area is comfortable booths. The walls are covered with memorablia that keep you mind occupied while you are waiting for your order.

The waitress comes up to your table and gets you any drinks or appetizers you want and then leaves for a few minutes to let you decide on the main entree. I like their choice of salad plates especially the Oriental Chicken. My wife likes the ribs selections with a side order of fresh vegetables. I usually get a tea (cold raspberry flavor in the summer) and my wife has her coffee. Within a short time the waitress returns and takes the order. It takes about 15 minutes before you are finally served, especially on busy nights.

The meals normally are about $15 per person with tax and tip; a bit more if you get a beverage from the bar to go with your meal.
    The restaurant is about from 11am to about 10pm daily.

Outback: fairly good steakhouse

by davecallahan Written Oct 31, 2007

I found the appetizers to be a bit expensive for a steakhouse but we tried the Cheese Fries anyways and they were pretty good.
    The main meal was prime rib that had been basted and slow roasted so that it was crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. They slice it to your choice of cuts and serve it Au Jus.
    Several people were ordering the special hamburgers but I looked at the menu price and decided that that wasn't such a good deal.
    I did not like that they charged extra for things like mushrooms and onions added to the steak meal.

Being a steakhouse, they specialize in beef meals but they do have some selections in seafood and pastas. But the patrons predominantly order some form of the steaks.
    They have a kids menu (called a Joey menu) that serves reasonable size meals for children at reasonable prices (I was tempted to order one of them instead of our main entree).

The place is like most steak houses with heavy wood furniture and booths and tables in the dining area. They have tried to give it an Aussie flare by putting Australian memorabilia and artifacts on the walls but I did not feel that I was in the Australian outback. The staff was pleasant and did not try to fake an accent. They took our orders quickly and soon we were eating a fine beef dinner.
    The cost was well into $25-30 per person including beverages, tax and tip.

Favorite Dish: Prime Rib is in my opinion their best dish.

• giddyup523's Profile Photo

Maxwell's: I would move back to WV for this restaurant!

by giddyup523 Written Feb 12, 2006

The restuarant is located on High Street and it is in the basement part of the building which gives it a cozy feel. There is maybe seating for 30-40 people or so but you will probably not run into more than a dozen. The food they serve is a very good mix of sandwiches (The New Yorker and Monte Cristo are my favorites), dinners, salads, and soups. They have a very good selection for vegetarians with at least 10 menu choices as well. They always have a very good daily specials selection with several desserts, including the bread pudding in whiskey sauce which is the best dessert ever!

Favorite Dish: The bread pudding with whiskey sauce is my favorite dish. It is not like most bread pudding you will see in that it resembles more of a loaf of bread in a dish topped with a creamy whiskey sauce. My description does it no justice but I must say that it is amazing! My wife and I took several people to this restaurant and they all also loved the bread pudding. We have since moved from Morgantown and I can say that one of the things I miss the most about the city is the bread pudidng from Maxwell's!

Colasante's: va bene.....

by davecallahan Updated Mar 14, 2007

Pizza's and Calzones... mouth watering and spicy.

That is Colasante's specialty... you can tell them how to make one or be surprised and leave it up to them. Either way, you will be satisfied.

Pizza toppings: onion, broccoli, anchovies, meatballs, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, hot peppers, ham slices, bacon, more more more.....

Calzone stuffings: cheeses, peppers, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, meatballs, onions.

And something new on the menus: the Mexican influence; fajita pizza, taco pizza, jalapeno pizza.

They even have vegetarian specialties if you are so inclined (yuk).

Outback Steakhouse: Just Right

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Map and toy inside Outback

We walked across the street from the motel to Outback and had a nice dinner.

Favorite Dish: Dinner for the two of us was $42.15 including tip. I don't remember what we had this time, but some of the food I've had since then is pictured. The Slow-Roasted Sirloin in photo 4 is new and was good. They call it

Perfectly roasted slices of sirloin drizzled with fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil and lemon
    surrounded by grape tomatoes and asparagus, served atop sautéed spinach and a jumbo, homemade Outback crouton

• sbahns's Profile Photo

Regatta Bar & Grill: tasty food in the Wharf District

by sbahns Written May 29, 2007

The Regatta Bar & Grill is in the Waterfront Place Hotel and is actually quite good for a hotel restaurant. Service is so-so - always seems to take awhile to get refills on drinks. But the staff are always friendly. I've never been unhappy with my food there - and we eat there quite often.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the Philly Cheesesteak, but they also have really good buffets at lunch time.

• Business Travel

• Solera Cafe: Totally Unexpected

by hungrymungry Written Oct 10, 2007

My husband and I were ecstatic to stumble upon Solera Cafe. What a wonderful and unassuming place. It is so refreshing to have a place that is not part of the corporate franchises that are encroaching on our lovely Morgantown. We loved the atmosphere, view and food. I had the vatapa and was pleasantly surprised. My husband had the beef and declared it "perfectly cooked". We both loved the pumpkin soup. The service was excellent and the wine list was diverse and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this wonderfully non-corporate establishment to anyone.

• Wine Tasting

Ruby Tuesday: Upscale Burger Joint

by grandmaR Updated Mar 11, 2012

Restaurant from across the parking lot

Ruby Tuesday is the name of a song by The Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards).

The chorus goes:

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday
    Who could hang a name on you?
    When you change with every new day
    Still I'm gonna miss you

I have been unable to find out if that song has any relation to this chain of restaurants, except that their website says that their menu is always changing and fresh.

I haven't eaten at this Ruby Tuesday. When we were here, we ate at Outback.

When we went in 2012, Bob had a half rack of ribs for $13.99

Favorite Dish: Ruby Tuesday prides themselves on having 30 different kinds of hamburgers. But I'm not much of a hamburger person myself. They do have other items, some of which sound very tasty including

New Orleans Seafood™

Broiled seasoned tilapia topped with broiled shrimp and creamy Alfredo sauce. Served with fresh steamed broccoli and brown rice pilaf with cheese and tomatoes.

Coastal Crabcakes

Crabmeat, crawfish, and a spicy blend of seasonings are grilled and served with rémoulade sauce, broccoli and brown rice pilaf topped with cheese and tomatoes.

Chesapeake Catch

Broiled tilapia topped with a grilled crabcake then drizzled with creamy Alfredo sauce. Served with broccoli and brown rice pilaf topped with cheese and tomatoes.

Creole Catch

Broiled seasoned tilapia served with broccoli and brown rice pilaf topped with cheese and tomatoes.

Asian Peppercorn Salmon

A spicy broiled Atlantic salmon fillet glazed with our special Thai peanut sauce. Served with sugar snap peas and brown rice pilaf topped with cheese and tomatoes.

Coconut Shrimp

Crispy coconut shrimp with sweet and hot ginger dipping sauce. Served with broccoli and brown rice pilaf topped with cheese and tomatoes.

Shrimp Alfredo Pasta

Pasta with Alfredo sauce, broiled seasoned shrimp, diced tomatoes and Parmesan and Romano cheese.

Crispy Mandarin Chicken

Crispy fried chicken, mandarin oranges, broccoli and cabbage tossed in sweet and hot ginger sauce and served over brown rice pilaf.

• Business Travel

• For a great time, try...

by ffc Written Aug 26, 2002

For a great time, try McClafferty's Irish Pub on University Avenue. For great food, definitely go to Backbay Restaurant on the Mileground.
    Backbay - the atmosphere and friendly staff are always welcome after a hard day.
    McClafferty's - it's an Irish Pub. What more do you need to know?

Favorite Dish: Any sort of seafood will do. Backback makes the best. As to McClafferty's, try an Irish Car Bomb.

Subway: In the OBFS building

by grandmaR Updated Aug 27, 2004

OBFS building

We got fuel before we went to our hotel at the self service station BFS #26 Glenmark Center. There was a Subway sandwich shop and also a TCBY

Favorite Dish: In addition to Ruby Tuesday, and Outback Steakhouse on Venture Drive in this shopping center there is a Bob Evans and a Wendy's

Instant Answers: Morgantown

Comments

Morgantown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Morgantown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Morgantown sightseeing.