Parkersburg Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Parkersburg

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Buffalo Wild Wings: Buffalo Wild Wings

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings is always one of our favorite meals to set down..talk, enjoy food and just get caught up. I always alternate allowing my son or daughter to pick our location for breaking bread...and usually this one is always chosen by either of them or both of them jointly!!!.

Noelle and Joshua (my children) and my son's friend Brian went to dinner before going to the movies.
    Tony was at his families home so he didn't join us. I ordered my favorite.."fish tacos" and I love this entree no matter which location I eat at...((( chain locations are cookie cutter meals))

Noelle had 12 wings and mixed her sauces (Jalapeno Spicy and Spicy Garlic). Joshua got the Steak Burger with fries and a side of 6 Garlic Parmesan Wings and Brian chose the Big Monster Burger...everyone loved their meal choices.
    We had a great meal. Everyone ordered sodas and we enjoyed the meal for about an hour.

Can't wait to go again!!! We all love this place!!!

• Beer Tasting

Point of View: The Point of View is Closed--No longer in business

by kevanrijn Updated Feb 23, 2012

Point of View was a special place, but it has been closed for the past several years. Lui Lui and the Colonnade in Vienna--two other fine dining locations in the area--have also closed. Options for truly fine dining are pretty much limited to Spats in the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg and the Buckley House Restaurant at 332 Front Street in Marietta.

Tim's Root Beer: Best place in town for Root Beer...but it's gone

Tim

Another victim of the Great Recession of 2008-09, Tim's Root Beer is out of business. They moved from Staunton Avenue out to Washington, WV then closed after a year or two at that location. I'll leave the original review for nostalgia's sake....

Tim's has the best root beer in town, bar none. The menu is essentially a diner menu, with extremely reasonable prices. I usually prefer to have hot dogs with root beer, but Tim's hot dogs are probably the weakest offering on his menu. They are boiled, not grilled or fried...and the buns are nothing special either. Too bad, because otherwise I'd be eating there much more often as I love a good hot dog!

The ambience is fun--Tim has the place decorated in a huge variety of vintage root beer signs. This is the sort of place you can take your kids and not feel like you are going to disturb anyone. The diner is kept very clean. The prices are among the lowest in Parkersburg--and Parkersburg prices in general are not high. For example, the most expensive thing on the menu are his dinners--they are all $7.99 ($5.99 for seniors) and include the main entree, two side dishes and dinner rolls. You can get Country Fried steak, Liver and Onions, Grilled Pork Chops, Grilled Chicken, and Chicken Tenders. He even has some regional items like Creamed Chicken over biscuits dinner and his Soup Beans dinner (includes cornbread). All this is besides the usual diner type sandwiches, soups, chilli, etc.

Favorite Dish: The root beer is what I go here for--Tim even makes his own diet root beer. The ice cream is excellent also. Please note: Tim's Rootbeer has moved to Washington, WV. The Corner Cafe has moved into the space on Rt.47 where Tim's was located.

A&W Root Beer: A&W is no longer in business here

by kevanrijn Updated Feb 23, 2012

A&W Root Beer is closed. Their former location is now occupied by Tampico Mexican Restaurant. If you are looking for excellent root beer try Tim's Root Beer in Washington, WV, or you could try Der Dog Haus on 7th Street in Parkersburg.

Opps, sorry Tim's Root Beer is out of business also....

Guess root beer lovers are out of luck.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo

The Pepper Mill Bistro: New Orleans style bistro cuisine comes to town!

The Pepper Mill Bistro on a cold night

I'm so sorry to say this restaurant has closed. The Great Recession of 2008-09 did it in. We miss it very much. Perhaps someday Michael will open another restaurant. We hope so...and if he does and we find out about it, I'll be sure to review it. In the meanwhile, in the interest of nostalgia, I'll let the original review stay.

The Pepper Mill Bistro is located in the building formerly occupied by the Windmill Restaurant. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was formerly a Quaker State Gas Station, and before that, a Sterling Oil Gas Station. The website listed below tells a little more about the building and has a picture of the the building in its earlier incarnation as a service station.

Inside the Pepper Mill Bistro, there is little to tell of the building's former function--the one-time gas station has been made into a cozy, elegant bistro which serves wonderful food. Many of the entrees have a New Orleans/Cajun twist. They boast an extensive menu--appetizers, soups, salads and sandwiches from $4.50 (the soups) to $8.95 (for crab dip). Dinner entrees range from $8.95 for pasta primavera to $15.95 for filet mignon. They also offer frozen homemade microwave dinners to go which are made in-house at bistro.

In addition to their regular menu offerings they have daily specials. They will also be hosting specialty menu nights when they will feature Italian, New Orleans, Nouveau or French cuisine. The Pepper Mill Bistro has Happy Hour from 5:05 to 7:05 pm Tuesday through Friday.

Favorite Dish: I've had their lasagna, their potato soup, their Count Monte Cristo sandwich. their crab dip and a dinner special (I can't remember what they called it) that involved crawfish. I've also sampled several of their desserts. The lasagna was excellent--very flavorful (a little twist was added through the judicious and sparing use of green peppers and onions) and satisfying. It was served with an excellent crispy garlic bread and a ceasar salad.

Their Count Monte Cristo sandwich lives up to its description and is one of my favorite menu items. The potato soup is excellent also...very thick and hearty and just the thing to warm you up on a cold day! But my favorite entree had to be the crawfish special. As far as desserts--they have all been wonderful. But the carrot cake has to be eaten to be believed! I never suspected carrot cake could taste that good....

Actually, everything I've ever had here was simply fantastic.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo

Austyn's: A good choice for fine dining

by kevanrijn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Austyn's on Front Street in Marietta

The food is very good. Everything my husband and I have ever eaten here has been good. The service is great--quick, unobtrusive, and attentive--and they expect you to take your time with your meal. Even when nearly every table is taken, you don't get the feeling they are trying to rush you to get out of there so they can turn the table over to another party. The ambience is lovely--very nice for a romantic evening out. And the cost? Well if you don't go crazy and order lots of alcohol and the most expensive entrees on the menu, you can eat here for just a tad more than you'd spend on a meal at Applebee's.

The entire dining experience is so far above what you'd experience in Applebes's that I'd call Austyn's a true bargain! All in all, I have to say, this is one of the better places to dine out in the Parkersburg-Marietta metro area.

The biggest drawback to Austyn's is the menu--the choices, though good, are limited and the menu seldom changes.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish (so far) was the special I had one time--chicken stuffed with prosciutto with a cheese sauce (I can't remember what kind of cheese it was specifically). It was so delicious! But everything I've had here was good. I'm not a lover of vegetables usually, but even their veggies are scrumptious--even the ones I don't normally like.

Texas Roadhouse: STAY AWAY! Unless you enjoy earsplitting music

by kevanrijn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Unless you are into earsplitting, sh*-kicking cowboy music with your meal, stay out of this place. My husband and I visited the place on a Saturday night around 9 pm. The music is strictly of the yee-haw, hee-haw variety and blasted at a volume which makes conversation impossible unless you yell. The ambience wasn't my cuppa tea either--black-painted concrete floors liberally littered with peanut shells...on purpose, mind you, 'cause you get unshelled peanuts to keep you occupied until dinner is served (or so I hear).

The menu items were on the pricey side, especially for this area. You can go to the top restaurants in Parkersburg and get a superb meal for about the same as you would spend here. The least expensive entree on their menu was $7.99--their "Road Kill" (a 10 oz. chopped steak with onion, mushrooms and jack cheese) while the most expensive entrees were $18.99 (18 oz. Texas T-Bone or the 16 oz. New York Strip Steak).

I can't comment on the quality of the food--because we got up and left before actually ordering. When the waiter came to take our drink order, we requested the music be turned down some. The waiter agreed it was too loud. They turned it down, but as soon as the very next song came on, they cranked the volume back up...so we got up and walked out. And we will never go back again, I guarantee it!

UPDATE: A family member recently was employed here. According to him, the standards of cleanliness in the kitchen are horrible and he would not recommend anyone eating here.

Levee House Cafe: When you are homesick for New Orleans or Europe

by kevanrijn Updated Apr 20, 2010

Dining at the Levee House is like taking a quick trip to Europe or New Orleans. It's the only riverfront cafe in Marietta which combines history, fine dining and romance. The interior is lovely--walls are painted sunshine yellow and original artworks by local artists (available for sale) are on display. The huge windows frame views of the levee, river and garden.

Levee House has a unique background. Built in 1826, the building is the only original building still on the levee. It started life as Woodbridge's Dry Goods and changed hands a number of times. At one time it was occupied by La Belle Hotel--a brothel. The ghost of a man murdered there supposedly haunts the place. The building also has a connection to the Underground Railroad.

Levee House can get a little crowded in the summer months, especially during the weekends when there is a festival or event going on. But in the winter, the restaurant is overlooked by tourists and the atmosphere is relaxed and quiet. You can (and will want to) linger over your meal here.

In fact, the peaceful atmosphere was probably one of the things I most appreciated about dining here. It is getting difficult to find a place to dine which is conducive to relaxed, romantic dining. One encounters families with small children and babies, even late in the evening, even in fine restaurants. My husband and I have had several dinners ruined lately by folks who bring small, over-tired, whinny, crying children into restaurants. We hate this--not the kids but the noise and stress of listening to other people's children misbehaving. Levee House, in contrast, can be a peaceful oasis--in the off season months anyway.

The food is good, although a notch or two below what I've had at Austyn's. It's definitely better than the food at chain restaurants like Applebees. Ohio Magazine rates it as one of their ten favorite restaurants in the state. I was able to take pictures of the interior of Levee House Cafe just before they closed for the night, so you can get a good idea of the ambience of the place from looking through my photos.

I've had a number of meals at Levy House, and I have to say I am never quite sure what sort of experience I'm going to have. I did have one meal where the wait-staff was so inattentive it was ridiculous. This was about 2 years ago now, so I would hope that person is no longer there. The waiter kept apologizing--he forgot to take our order for drinks, then he forgot about us and we had to wait another 20 minutes for him to take our food order...then he got the order wrong, etc., etc., --he said he was having a personal crisis and couldn't concentrate. But most of the time the service has been very good. In my experience, you get more attentive service inside than you do outside on the patio.

Favorite Dish: My favorite there is the Raspberry Peach Chicken and my husband's is the Pork Medallions. Both dishes are excellent. The prices were less than you would expect to pay in a fine dining establishment--and they offer a 10% discount on the total if you pay with cash or by check. Two entrees, two desserts and two drinks and a dessert wine cost us less than $47. A bargain, really, given the quality of the food and dining experience.

El Ranchero or Gran Ranchero: Best Mexican food in the area

by kevanrijn Updated Jan 23, 2009

UPDATE: El Ranchero was closed due to fire and has reopened under new ownership with the name Gran Ranchero. Same great food so go check it out!

The old El Ranchero was the best Mexican restaurant in the Parkersburg/Marietta area. There are some other Mexican restaurants which are pretty good (Tampico's is almost as good and Las Trancas in Marietta is too) but El Ranchero had the best food, best prices and best service. If you haven't actually been to Mexico and eaten in a restaurant there, this one was probably as close as you would get to being like a restaurant in Mexico.

The new Gran Ranchero is just as good...great food, great prices and great service.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo

Rubin's Deli and Catering: Fill your belly at Rubin's Deli--for sure!

by kevanrijn Updated Jan 31, 2007

Fill your belly at Rubin's Deli--no kidding!

Possibly the best deli in Parkersburg--forget Subway, these guys are da bomb! I'm not sure how long they've been around--but I know for a fact it's been more than 30 years. You don't stay in business that long without knowing what you're doing and providing a superior product!

There aren't any tables or eat in facilities--this is takeout only. Phone in your order then go pick it up, is my recommendation. You can drive up and order at the counter, but you may be waiting a while for your sandwich if you do that. These folks have plenty of business so you should call in your order to minimize the wait.

My personal fav--Rubin's Reuben sandwiches. And the Family Special is a pretty good bargain--if you have a family that can eat that much. You get four sub sandwiches, two salads and a 2 liter bottle of soda pop for $16.99. Bet a family of four can't even eat at McD's for that!

Personally, I think Jane and Michael Stern need to visit Parkersburg and try Rubin's Deli.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is Rubin's Reuben sandwich--lots of meat, lots of sauerkraut, great bread, great dressing and cheese, all done just right. They are so generous with the meat, etc., that I can usually only eat half the sandwich at one sitting.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo

Cham's Lebanese Restaurant: Hooray! Finally! True ethnic food....

by kevanrijn Updated Jan 15, 2007

The place was full, except for these two tables

Fantastic! Finally an ethnic food restaurant that isn't Chinese or Mexican.... Great food, wonderful, very personal service. The owner always comes by the table at least once during the meal to find out how we are enjoying our food. It's very clean too, although the decor and ambience are nothing special. The food is excellent and that's what counts.

Favorite Dish: My husband and I have both tried different dishes each time we have gone. Everything has been excellent. Their baklava is wonderful--light, flaky, and crunchy--because they don't use as much honey in making it. But going light on the honey really allows the flavor of the nuts and the phyllo pastry to shine.

The prices are extremely reasonable too!

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Various Vendors: Eatery in the Parkersburg Mall

by butterflykizzez04 Written Sep 4, 2005
    inside the mall at the eatery section

In the mall eatery area, there is Chick-filet, Steak Escape, Pretzel world, Burger King, Chinese place, and Pizza place..there is also a dairy queen type place that serves sandwiches near the arcade room.

We usually split up and eat different locations. My usual is Steak Escape..I love their homemade fries from real potatoes..not the frozen kind. They split the potato in front of you and make the fries fresh.

• The Point of View: The Point of View

by hyperhyena Written Aug 24, 2002

Fairly small, It's on top of a hill with a wall of windows overlooking the river. Customers get free dinner on their birthday (as long as you're with someone who buys a meal). It's not really cheap but not outrageous either.

Favorite Dish: Their lunch menu isn't anything great but if you go there for dinner, it's pretty good. Steaks, seafood and such.

Instant Answers: Parkersburg

Comments

Parkersburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Parkersburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Parkersburg sightseeing.