It's been a long time since I visited teh Grave Creek Mound. 'Grave Creek Mound is one of the largest conical mounds constructed during the late Adena Period. Construction took place in successive stages from about 250-150 B.C. The mound and museum are open year round, seven days a week. A small admission fee helps maintain the site."
801 Jefferson Avenue
Moundsville, WV 26041
The Bridgeport Bridge is an abandoned bridge which once carried US 40 over the back channel of the Ohio River between Wheeling Island, West Virginia and Bridgeport, Ohio.
Constructed in 1893, the Bridgeport Bridge was one type of crossing that could be 'ordered' from catalogues towards the end of the nineteenth century.
The wooden bridge deck was replaced in 1950 with steel grating. In 1987, the floor beams had become structurally unsound for automobile traffic. A self-supporting, load-bearing deck structure was installed inside the trusses of the Bridgeport Bridge. This was only a temporary measure, as the bridge was supplemented in the mid-1990's with a modern river crossing adjacent to the now-abandoned span.
Wheeling and the National Road is home to one of the greatest engineering achievements in American History. The nearly 170 year old Wheeling Suspension Bridge is the oldest operating suspension bridge in the world. The bridge was the first to span a main channel of the Ohio River (1). In 1836, a two span covered bridge opened over the back channel of the Ohio in Wheeling. This bridge crossed at the site of an 1893 truss and modern day bridge that carries Route 40 over the back channel to this day! (2) The Bridge
The bridge spans a distance of 1,010 feet (308 m) across the Ohio River so as to allow boats to pass underneath it. It remains the oldest vehicular suspension bridge in the USA that is still in use. The bridge is listed as a National Historic Landmark and a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.
• Rebuilt, 1854 after it was wrecked by a windstorm. Contrary to popular myth, the rebuilding was undertaken by Ellet and his assistant William K. McComas, not by John A. Roebling.
• Overhauled, 1860. Again, popular myth often attributes this work to the Roeblings. WHSB attributes this work to William K. McComas. After this overhaul, the bridge still does not have the distinctive diagonal cable stays that give it the appearance of a Roebling bridge.
• Overhauled, 1872, according to a design by Washington Roebling. John A. Roebling had died in 1869 and was not involved with this work. WHSB notes, "The design essentially Roeblingized the bridge with the diagonal cable stays that are such a prominent feature of the bridge. Bridgemiester
When in the Wheeling area, you must visit Drovers Inn at 1001 Washington,Pike in Wellsburg ,WV (15 miles north of Wheeling on WV route 2) Drovers was an old stagecoach stop turned into a restaurant. They are widely known for their chicken wings and cheese covered french fries.
Opened on September 8, 1955, the Fort Henry Bridge over the Ohio River once carried just US 40 and US 250. It was completed for $6 million. In 1967, Interstate 70 was added to the bridge.