Kenosha Restaurants

Mo's Coffee Lounge and Cafe
  • Dee enjoying the Wood-oven Pizza at Mangia
    Dee enjoying the Wood-oven Pizza at...
  • The Outdoor Eating Area a Mangia Trattoria
    The Outdoor Eating Area a Mangia...

Most Recent Restaurants in Kenosha

• Boathouse Pub & Eatery: Wish I would have read the reviews elsewhere

by brian1024 Written Sep 6, 2009

It was our 11th Anniversary and my wife and I wanted to go to a nice little restaurant on the lake for dinner. I had read other reviews on this site and they were all positive reviews of this restaurant. Well, maybe they have not been there for a while, but I was very disappointed. The restaurant needs some cleaning on the outside as we asked to sit outside and there were spider webs and dead bugs at every window (this was our first impression). Others posted a beautiful lakefront view. The only view was of a little outlet to the lake. You could not see the lake from the restaurant. I will say the waitress was very friendly and through the disappionting night, tried her best. She attended to us right away. We called ahead of time to make sure we got reservations if needed, so we thought that it would help the service, but that was the furthest thing from the truth. After waiting over an hour just for our appetizer, we finally walked out. The waitress commented to make sure we tell the manager, otherwise they take it out of her pay, which tells me this is a common theme that happens at this restaurant. I would suggest staying away!!

Favorite Dish: Could not tell you, never got a chance to eat!!

Franks Diner, Villa D' Carlo, Andrea's: Why We're Returning to Kenosha

by deecat Updated Sep 30, 2008

Andrea's

Although we did not eat here, we plan to go back to Kenosha to try the following:

Andrea's
    2401 60th Street
    Kenosha, Wisconsin 53140
    (262) 657-7732
    Andrea's is a tradition since 1911!

Jack's Cafe [named for the founder, Grandpa Jack] is well known in and around Kenosha. This cafe serves soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and more (all homemade from scratch). But, they are most famous for their original marble soda fountain where you are able to order Jack's famous malts, ice cream sundaes and sodas made to order.
    There is also a gallery of gifts with finds from around the world as well as a shop called a Hometown Shop "that's been known for quality cigars, pipes & tobacco since 1911.. The have a Humidor Room along with accessories & gifts."

Andrea's has restored tin ceilings, file floors, and the original marble soda fountain..I can't wait.

After we returned from Kenosha, people in the know told us about "Franks Diner".
    508-58th Street [historic Downtown Kenosha]
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    (262)-657-1017
    www.franksdinerkenosha.com

It is registered as an historical landmark and the oldest continuously operating lunch car diner in the United States! The food is always fresh and delicious. Supposedly, the staff is also "fresh" and "sassy". They offer homemade bread, gigantic pancakes, juicy burgers and the well known "Franks Garbage Plate!"

Franks Diner is known as a "great breakfast joint". Since it was featured on the FOOD NETWORK SERIES "DINERS, DRIVE-iNS AND DIVES", it has become nationally famous. This year it is celebrating more than 80 years in business. Their motto is: "Be Nice or Leave"

Favorite Dish: We were also told by several people to be sure to try
    Villa D'Carlo
    5140 6th Avenue
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    (262)-654-3932
    Open Monday-Saturday 4:00 p.m. until close
    Sunday 3:00 p.m. until close
    Closed on Tuesday

We were told it is the best Italian restaurant. The menu changes with the season. Their daily specials range from "out stuffed prime rib to homemade ravioli" They advise you to save room for dessert, especially their homemade tiramisu.

Outdoor dining is available in season and if the weather permits.

As I learn more about Kenosha, I'm sure I'll find more restaurants that we want to try.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Andrea's [and Jack's] in Kenosha: Since 1911...

Dee's Hot Fudge Sundae

Andrea's is a tradition since 1911! {See photo #5]

Within this landmark shop, you will also find Jack's Cafe [named for the founder, Grandpa Jack] which is well known in and around Kenosha. This cafe serves soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and more (all homemade from scratch).

But, they are most famous for their original marble soda fountain [See Photo # 3]where you are able to order Jack's famous malts, ice cream sundaes and sodas made to order.

There is also a gallery of gifts with finds from around the world [See Photo #4] as well as a shop called a Hometown Shop "that's been known for quality cigars, pipes & tobacco since 1911.. They have a Humidor Room along with accessories & gifts."

Andrea's has restored tin ceilings, tile floors, and the original marble soda fountain.

Favorite Dish: After another four hours of walking and seeing the sights/sites of Kenosha, Mickey and I were more than ready for a "treat". I had read about the famous Andrea's and Jack's Cafe within Andrea's, so I drove to 60th Street pronto.

As you can see from [Photo#1], I had a really BIG treat of a hot fudge sundae made with Butter Pecan Ice Cream. Mickey had a more modest one dip sundae made with Butter Pecan Ice Cream, Butterscotch, and chocolate fudge...small but rich. [See Photo #2]

Needless to say, we were pleased with our choices.

What a wonderful place this all is with unique gifts, friendly staff members, and delicious food...no wonder they have been here since 1911!j

• deecat's Profile Photo

Mangia Trattoria: Wood Oven Pizza...

Dee enjoying the Wood-oven Pizza at Mangia

Mickey and I had been walking around Kenosha for over two hours, and we were starving. We were on our way to the Municipal Historic District and realized that one of the restaurants [Mangia Trattoria] that we wanted to dry was on Sheridan Road. Thus, we stopped in to check out the menu. We thought that it was somewhat expensive for lunch, except for the wood-oven pizzas.

We were asked if we wanted to eat inside or outside. Since we had been walking outside so much, at first we said "inside"; however, once we viewed the outside area with its beautiful flowers and bushes, umbrella tables, and complete privacy, we changed our minds.

That was an excellent idea. It was an absolutely beautiful day with pleasant temperature, plenty of sunshine, delicious food, and beautiful scenery. (See Photograph #2)

Mangia Trattoria offers Antipasti [appetizers]; Insalate [salad], Panini [sandwiches]; Pizza Dal Forno [wood oven pizzas]; Piatti Della Casa [house specialties].

Favorite Dish: Since we wanted pizza, we looked at what was offered:

Pizza Classica [Italian sausage, tomatoes, mozzarella and Pecorino Romano]

Pizza Quattro Formaggi
    [Provolone, mozzarella, ricotta, Pecorino Romano, and sun dried tomatoes].

Pizza Margherita
    Garlic oil, mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh milk mozzarella and basil].

We chose the PIZZA MARGHERITA and diet cokes. (See Photograph #1) Bread, crackers and garlic butter were served to each table.

The pizza that we shared was so delicious. The crust was fantastic...light and crispy. The cheese was perfect, and the oil and basil added to the texture and taste. As I said to Mickey, "Yum and Yum again"!

Mo's Coffee Lounge and Cafe: Great Stop for Coffee

Mo's Coffee Lounge and Cafe

On Thursday, September 25, 2008, my friend, Mickey, and I drove to Kenosha so that I could "practice" a tour that I plan to give this coming Sunday for my daughter, my sister-in-law, my niece, and my great niece. Our first stop after parking our car was to drop in for some coffee at No's Coffee Lounge and Cafe in downtown Kenosha.

I had read about this popular local spot in the Kenosha Tourist booklet and wanted to give it a try. Besides, I did not eat breakfast before we left; thus, I needed some coffee.

What I noticed about Mo's was how "down to earth" it seemed. It is quite plain in appearance with two large rooms; one is for people with computers, but others may also wish to sit in that room.

They were Breakfast until eleven each day and offer such items as French toast, Southwestern Wraps, Bagels, Muffins, Loaded Oatmeal [with banana, pecans, raisins, and brown sugar], and eggs.

For lunch they offer salads served with house-made croutons and dressings. In addition, they offer sandwiches, wraps.

They also offer daily SPECIALS such as Shrimp Quesadilla, Goulash, Sausage n' Mac n' Cheese, and Southwester chicken wraps.

Mickey and I chose a table next to the window that looked out over Sixth Avenue.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a large Moca over ice with a little whipped cream on top. It was very good and was also quite refreshing. Mickey, on the other hand, wanted something hot so she ordered one of the hot coffees. Her first words as she took her first sip was, "This is good!".

We enjoyed just relaxing and watching the locals within as well as outside the cafe.

Mo's is open every day from 6:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.

Boat House Pub & Eatery: Lake Michigan Views

by deecat Updated Jul 30, 2008

Outside of Boat House Pub & Eatery

After a full day of walking, sightseeting, and discovering, Allan and I were more than ready to find a place to eat. We did not have any literature on places to eat in Kenosha, so we just went looking. We saw a good looking restaurant called Boat House Pub & Eatery and decided to give it a try.

The decor inside is quite attractive and unique with richly paneled walls, brass fixtures, nautical appointments, and, best of all, the etched glass. We decided to eat in the Bar Area because of the beautiful view of Lake Michigan out the large windows across the back of the restaurant.

They provide courtesy customer docking for boats up to 50 feet in length!
    They have live entertainment on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. They offer a Sunday Breakfast Buffet from 9:00 a.m until noon.

Our waitress was quite young and attractive. She was polite, efficient, and helpful.

Favorite Dish: It's a pretty comprehensive menu that includes a wide array of fish and seafood specialties. They also offer sandwiches, homemade soup [Clam Chowder and the Soup of the Day].
    Salads of all sorts are available as well as a variety of potatoes.

Both Allan and I love fresh Lake Michigan Perch [which is very hard to find] as well as delicious tasting Walleye Pike. Fortunately, one of their seafood specialties was just that...a combination plate of Lake Perch and Walleye! The portions were huge [the picture I took was the portion I took home!] We also had house salads with homemade blue cheese dressing, and Allan had potatoes.

We were certainly pleased with the fish...it was served hot, cooked to perfection without "tons of breading", and there was more than enough for the price. The homemade dressing was delicious; the salad itself was average. Allan had a draft beer, and I ordered a diet cola with two slices of lemon.

Since it was a weekday afternoon, the restaurant was not at all crowded; most of the people in the bar area were just drinking and perhaps enjoying an afternoon snack.

We enjoyed the food, the view, the decor, and the service.

• Beaches

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Frank's Diner: Something Lighter

by hunterV Written Mar 8, 2008

It's about time to have a bite....

If you're looking for a lighter bite, try Frank's Diner, 508-58th St., a restaurant partly comprised of a dining car, and not just any lunch car - it's the oldest continuously operating dining car in the U.S.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Mangia Trattoria/Villa D'Carlo: Italian Heritage

by hunterV Written Mar 8, 2008

Dining with my American colleagues!

The city's strong Italian heritage is reflected in its many well-established and popular Italian restaurants, including
    Mangia Trattoria, 5717 Sheridan Road,
    and Villa D'Carlo, 5140-6th Ave.
    Both of these restaurants are just a block or two away from the streetcar route.

Villa D'Calro: Tiramisu to die for

by ChartIt Written Jan 19, 2008

The place odd when you come in! The food is really alright. The room is well seasonal and colorful. There are strings of christmas lights everywhere. Graden sculpture deers, and ducks, and geese. Even trees lots of tree. It is very busy atmoshphere. The prices are reasonable.

Favorite Dish: The Tiramisu. Hands down my favorite thing from them! It I still crave their version which is more like whipped heaven frosting. It is not your typical tiramisu. The pizza is good. You can even carry out or have deilevered there heavily oragsm giving Tiramisu to you!

Franks Diner: Best eats in town

by ChartIt Written Jul 7, 2007

This is an old box car diner, they have added to it over the years to make room for more seating but, the old diner is still intact. They have done a little remodeling, the prices are great! One pancake and a cup of coffee is all i need to fill full for hours! The place is an mix of life, students, businessmen, bikers, and generally untypable people. They place is open for breakfast and lunch, and it is my favorite place in town. The staff is wonderful, and so are the rest of the customers. Just be aware that the place is popular and small, weekend mornings are particuarlly popular and definatly busy. Be patient, and be nice everyone is waiting. They have 2 small cook stations so the food even though it is small, can take a little while to come when they are ultra busy. So dont go if you are in a rush on the weekends. Everything is made fresh, and for the most part from scratch. Their homemade bread is wonderful toast. Did I mention the place is a cheap eat? Their hours last i knew, Hours: Monday thru Friday 6am - 2pm • Saturday 7am - 2pm • Sunday 7am - 1pm. They are soo worth it if you are in town for any reason. Their food is wonderful

Favorite Dish: I love their Potato's OBrien, and their no stack pancake *it is the size of a full dinner plate and an inch thick* My dad is particuarlly fond of their garbage plate *hashbrowns and whatever else you want cooked with an egg in a big heap*

The Spot: Local Dinning Traditions

by ChartIt Written Jul 7, 2007

This is a small chain, local to Kenosha and just Kenosha. They have the most wonderfully greasy burgers in town. I have not had a better "fast food" burger. This is a drive in, though one of the locations is missing the whole awning. But they have bell hops and all.

Favorite Dish: Their cheeseburger and grilled onions! Dont forget the rootbeer

• katestrand's Profile Photo

Boat House Pub and Eatery: Open Air and View of Lake & Marina!

by katestrand Written Jul 24, 2005

Love the open air bar area, reminded me of a beachside Florida restaurant... loved the map decorated tables and boating theme... clientele was nice, service was great, food was decent, will go again and try some more... great place to sit with gorgeous lake & marina view, enjoy a beer with great happy hour prices, and open air meant not smokey which I really liked!

Favorite Dish: I just had a tuna steak sandwich, it was decent but I've had better... but I liked it enough that I want to go again and try something more... had an eye catching list of variations on the Long Island Iced Tea...

• Sailing and Boating

• principesa's Profile Photo

Mars Cheese Castle (not really...

by principesa Written Aug 26, 2002

Mars Cheese Castle (not really a restaurant, but why wouldn't you want to go a 'cheese castle'???)
    Cheese as far as the eye can see... It's just stunning....sniff, sniff*

Favorite Dish: CHEEEEEEEEEEESE

Instant Answers: Kenosha

Comments

Kenosha Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kenosha restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kenosha sightseeing.