Lake Geneva Shopping

• Beautiful Home for Brick & Mortar Home Shoppe
    Beautiful Home for Brick & Mortar Home...
    Sleek Brick & Mortar Home Signage
    Global Hands Shop

Most Recent Shopping in Lake Geneva

• deecat's Profile Photo

Brick & Mortar Home: Unique Shopping Experience

by deecat Updated Aug 9, 2009

Beautiful Home for Brick & Mortar Home Shoppe

A home in Lake Geneva that I have long admired has been turned into a unique store called "Brick & Mortar Home". When we were there at the end of July, 2009, it had just been open for one week.

Because of the beauty of the home, the owners have arranged the store in accord with what one would see in a real home. For example, the bathroom only has what would be on the walls, counter, etc. of a bathroom.

We were impressed with the merchandise, which was items neither of us had ever seen before. It's unusual in a tourist town to find original [not seen in any of the other stores] and to really see how functional, as well as original, each item is.

We plan to return so we can have more time to peruse this new store and to see what items have been added. While we were there, one of the owners was ordering from one of the distributors.

What to buy: Items to add beauty and function to ones home. Gift items abound. There are also items for the outside and the garden.

What to pay: We were thrilled to see that the prices were reasonable. They were more expensive than run-of-the-mill stores; however, they were not exorbitant.

• Architecture

• deecat's Profile Photo

Global Hands: A Fair Trade Shop

by deecat Updated Aug 8, 2009

Global Hands Shop

While in Lake Geneva, Mickey and I were most impressed with the shop called "Global Hands, A Fair Trade Shop". Not only did it display lovely merchandise, but it offered gifts, clothing, jewelry, home furnishings, coffee, tea, and chocolate from all over the world. Their products that you purchase provide "hope" because the store contributes to these artists, farmers, and families who create the products.

We discovered that the items are all hand crafted in over 35 developing nations of Asia, Africa, and the Americas. In addition, each item is made from natural materials that reflect that country's resources.

What to buy: Both Mickey and I made purchases here. I purchased a pair of red earrings for my daughter Jill made of Tagua ; also, I bought myself two taqua bracelets [medium blue and dark pink]. Mickey purchased a beautiful Tagua necklace for herself. Tagua is "an ivory-like nut that is harvested from palm trees indigenous to the South American countryside."

Taqua provides a beautiful alternative to ivory, so demand is reduced for the slaughter of elephants.

Purchasing from this Fair Trade store creates jobs. Hand crafting tagua gives farmers needed jobs as well as keeps an art and culture alive.

Best of all, Tagua nuts are harvested without harming the trees so that the landscape is preserved and the ecosystem is protected.

The owner told us that no forced child labor is used in production. She also said that the producers are paid for their products "up-front" to ensure long-term success.

Also, guaranteed fair prices and fair pay is given to both women and men. NO SWEATSHOPS, SLAVEHOLDERS, OR BIG BUSINESSES ARE USED!

• Women's Travel

• Rag Thyme: Great Place for Gifts and Decorations

by katrinasams Written Apr 30, 2009

Rag Thyme is a friendly place. It is just warm and bright and happy. I love the gift selection and I love the prices.

What to buy: I buy metal garden decorations at Rag Thyme. Right now, I enjoy the spring selections of birdhouses, metal flowers and windchimes. Come September, I always visit to pick up a unique Harvest Decoration to add to my collection.
    The decorations look very expensive and cost very little.

What to pay: For $10, I can pick up something cute. I load up sometimes and spend quite a bit more

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Lake Geneva

Comments

Lake Geneva Shopping

Reviews and photos of Lake Geneva shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake Geneva sightseeing.