Madison Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Madison

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Michael's Frozen Custard: Good Frozen Custard

by WulfstanTraveller Written Feb 23, 2014

This is a local frozen-custard joint with 3 locations. It's very good but not among the best we've had in our book. The texture is not quite as creamy and pleasing in the way I really want from frozen custard.

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Great Dane Brewing: Great Brewpub

by WulfstanTraveller Written Feb 23, 2014

Great Dane Pub

This is a lovely and great brewpub right downtown about a block from the capitol. It has some great beer, especially English-style cask ales, and in our experience excellent food. The salad with steak on it was particularly excellent and large for the price. The place is nice with an old-fashioned pub feel and the location is great.

• Beer Tasting

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

State Street Brats: A Madison classic!

by xoxoxenophile Written Feb 16, 2013

State Street Brats

My uncle lived in Madison, Wisconsin for many years, so when I found out we were going, I asked him for some advice on places to go. He said that we definitely shouldn't miss State Street Brats. Our hotel was only about a block from State Street, so we took a long walk from the capitol building down State Street until we finally got to the restaurant (not even knowing the address of the place). It's definitely a popular college hangout, and it was very full of people and energy when we got there. The outside is decorated with lights and features statues of cows and a badger that made for some nice pictures.

Favorite Dish: Brats are very typical Wisconsin cuisine, they're what State Street is famous for, and the restaurant has a very large condiment bar, so I definitely recommend you try one! Otherwise I also ordered some delicious cheeseballs, another Wisconsin classic. State Street has plenty of options, and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

Osteria Papavero: Tuscan One

by yooperprof Written Jan 15, 2013
    It's a Roman Holiday!

Tasty Tuscan trattoria just a few blocks down from the State Capitol, within walking distance of the Monona Terrace Conference Center, too. Solid Italian specialities, well prepared in an unfussy but classic manner. Open for lunch and dinner - does not accept reservations!

L'Etoile: The Star of Midwestern Cuisine

by yooperprof Updated Jan 15, 2013

Nighttime view of a floodlit capitol dome

Elite chef Tory Miller brings world-class, Alice Waters-type cooking to central Wisconsin. The menu interesting, innovative, and original food made from locally grown, naturally harvested produce, as well as meat and fish obtained from the finest producers around the world, and served in a warm, confortable setting. From the time that it was created in 1976 (under the legendary Odessa Piper) to the present, l'Etoile has worked closely with Wisconsin farmers to help them find markets for high quality, clean and natural foods. It's a bit of a splurge, but it's well worth it.

I've eaten here a few times - most recently in December 2011. I would say that this is the best restaurant I've been to in Wisconsin, and one of the top five in my experience in the Midwest. L'Etoile is indeed a star.

Favorite Dish: Wisconsin greens (salad) served with local goat cheese; tomato soup with fresh croutons; maple cheesecake

Graze: Graze anatomy

by yooperprof Written Jan 15, 2013

The Graze Craze

Outstanding brewpub/casual restaurant on Madison's Capitol Square, a sister running to the starry "L'Etoile" next door. Graze offers a full complement of outstanding home brews, as well as interesting and tasty versions of standard bar fare. Cheese is a whiz here, not surprisingly, and the cheese curds are so good that you'll think they are a gourmet speciality. The space makes the place, though - enormously high ceilings and a bright ambience that makes it hard to have a bad time here.

• Sucre: Sucre is a special place

by kmar Updated Apr 4, 2011

Their menu says "patisserie plus Desserts and wines", but we had lunch. they do have a menu online. I had vegetable quiche with bacon, and my partner had veggie quiche. $5.25 each. They came with nice small green salads with standard dressing of lemon vinaigrette. We opted for chocolate dessert, a small piece, which you can add for $2.50. They have sandwiches, with the same arrangement.
    It didnt look like much from the outside, or when we first stepped in, but quickly, I was entranced with the colors and style. We later learned from the hostess that this restaurant was reviewed in the Isthmus this week, (June 2008) and in Madison magazine, I believe it was. She provided us those publications while we waited. Service was fast. The decor was thrilling to me! The booth backs and one seating wall were white & plush. Chairs were orange transparent Plexiglas. The floor looked like natural light wood but we were told it's a new wood product. The table tops were striped in brown. Just very stimulating. The bathrooms were clean and attractive! The womens had candles. The walls were white mainly with a few large orange bubbles and some brick and a small orange panel. The front wall was glass, with seating, and flower arrangements. There were 4 panels on the wall displaying "moving blobs", as my husband said. Interesting. Very modern and totally different from anything we've seen here in town, and we've been here and eating out for a few years. Quite delicious! It's right across from the Capitol on Mifflin.

Favorite Dish: the quiche

• Museum Visits

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Flat Iron Tavern: Dining Inside and/or Out

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Flat Iron Tavern

I selected Flat Iron Tavern for dinner on my most recent visit to Madison because it is across from the State Capitol and has a shaded sidewalk dining area which I thought would be great for people watching. A sudden summer rainstorm came before my meal was delivered to my table, so I and several other diners made a mad dash into the building to complete our dinner.

Flat Iron Tavern is in an old pie-shaped downtown building which lends a lot of character. That, along with the good food and service, made it an enjoyable experience to eat there.

Favorite Dish: I had a very tasty sandwich with potato chips. I remember that it was delicious, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Mediterranean Cafe: Middle-eastern food, fast, good and cheap

by Tom_In_Madison Updated Apr 4, 2011

Zidanes Cous Cous plate for $4

2 brothers from Algeria started this little restaurant. It has middle-eastern/Mediterranean ish food. hummus, tabouli, chicken roll-ups, greek-style food, .....

You order at the counter, walk to a table, and by the time you sit down, it's there. Real fast. Very inexpensive, and tastes great.

This is my favorite lunch spot. I'm here about once a week.

Favorite Dish: Zidanes Cous Cous - For $4.00 you get a plate of cous cous, with a healthy portion of steamed veggies over it--potatoes, zucchini, chickpeas.

The Tabouli & hummus in a huge roll-up pita is good too.

• Delaney's Charcoal Steaks: Steaks and Beer

by Jimmyp41 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Very nice steaks, aparently at the top end of the market. Service was very good, however we wernt offered any of the specials. They also have Maine Lobster. Very satisfied with the food, however it's a bit pricey!

Favorite Dish: I had the New York Strip Steak (~14oz). It came with a bowl of hungarian soup which like the steak was delicous. It cost 29 dollars. I really liked this restaurant. I tried all of their draught beers at the bar after the meal. Spotted Cow was my favourite.

• latte18's Profile Photo

Hong Kong Cafe: tasty Chinese food

by latte18 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    the dining room @ the HK Cafe Madison

Hong Kong Cafe has two branches in Madison, my favorite has to be the west-side branch, located on a strip mall that houses Pier 1 Imports, just off West Towne Mall. The restaurant was never busy and service from the Malaysian waiter is very attentive and friendly. The food gets served very quickly and most of them, if not all, is delicious. HK Cafe even do deliveries.

Favorite Dish: dried pepper fried squid (not on the menu, but ask for it anyway) and sesame beef.

• Ella's Deli: Not all that!

by motherfavre Written Jun 22, 2010

Most customers bring their children here to overload their senses from the overly eclectical surroundings. We've frequently done so ourselves. However, I would suggest skipping the overpriced less than stellar fare from the menu, to save yourself the disappointment. We typically bring our kids here now for a cone, and then split. We've ordered other sundae-type desserts, but when a different item arrived at our table and we inquired about what it was, no one seemed to care.The menus and condiments, as well as the tables, are in need of a good de-greasing and sanitizing.
    We take our ice cream business elsewhere now, where people appreciate our business.
    (Try Babcock Hall ice cream from Memorial Union!)

• AVG2319's Profile Photo

Ella's Deli: One of a Kind place to eat-Especially for kids

by AVG2319 Updated Jul 11, 2009

This place is a must stop in Madison. Especially if you have kids. There was no better treat as a child than to get to go to Ella's Deli. This place is a kids dream shop. Not only are there Tons of animated displays throughout the deli there is the unmistakeable landmark of the giant 1920's carasul out front.
    The type of food here-considered a kosher deli & Ice Cream Parlour. They have many flavors of ice cream. I still remember "blue moon"

This place will leave ya speechless, so just trust me if you have kids they'll want to go. And if even if you don't have kids, but want a totally different dining experience-this is the place

Favorite Dish: I go for the ice cream!

• Panera: amazing

by kuhakakai Written Apr 11, 2009

We find ourselves choosing this restaurant more than once a week. They have delicious salads, especially Greek.
    Theyre very accomodating about substitutions. My husband and I can make a meal out of just one of their Sierra Turkey sandwiches. Its delicious on whole grain. We can also make a meal out of their salads, sharing.
    and Theyre amazingly fast! Pleasant decor. Busy, but not too hard to get a seat.

Favorite Dish: sierra Turkey sand.

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• Granite City: Sometimes delicious

by kuhakakai Updated Apr 11, 2009

Ive eaten here twice. The first, I really loved their Cuban sandwich and would go there often if it werent heavy in fattening ingredients and $9. the second time, I took my husband, they were playing a ballgame very loud, and we had the buffet. We told them we couldnt enjoy our meal with the sound so loud, but they said they had to accomodate their other customers. Neither of us was overly impressed with the buffet food.

Favorite Dish: Cuban sandwich

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Madison

Comments

Madison Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Madison restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madison sightseeing.