Madison Restaurants

Cheeseballs

Most Recent Restaurants in Madison

• Soleil: Disappointing

by kuhakakai Written Apr 11, 2009

This is an inexpensive partner of the expensive and, reputedly, famous, great restaurant, upstairs, called L'Etoile.
    We've tried it twice, however, in 3 years. The first trip was apparently forgetable, because I have. So, we went back thinking we'd never been there. We ate a turkey sandwich, and found it was dry, and dull. We wont be back.

Favorite Dish: Havent found one.

• Architecture

• Sai Bai Thong: Seaweed not for us

by kuhakakai Updated Apr 11, 2009

The decor of this restaurant is simple but very pleasing, with walls painted deep and various shades.
    The service is good. Weekday lunch prices are about $7.50. We enjoy the chicken or tofu with vegetables and some delicious sauces. They have duck, seafood and meat. Each lunch comes with a small salad, slightly hot, with peanuts, or a chicken soup.
    However their special sometimes has a seaweed salad, with mung bean noodles, and I wouldnt have it again.
    Their Thai eggplant is often tasteless and tough, undercooked, so I ask for regular sliced eggplant.

Favorite Dish: Curried Squash.

• Sofra: Bavaria Cafe becomes Sofra

by kuhakakai Written Dec 23, 2008

This restaurant is in our neighborhood but we rarely go there. We stopped going even occasionally when they billed us for sharing an entree. But we read they had a new chef, so we went for a special occasion. My companion encouraged me to try their $16 lamb chop entree with vegetables. The lamb was delicious, but predictably, a tiny portion. I chose their corn chowder, and it was fine. The vegetables were 3 tiny roasted, blackened, peppers, a few thin slices of rather tastless grilled zucchini, and a lot of small unpeeled, tasteless potatoes. I dont think we will be back soon. Service was fine, in itself. My companion had a chicken pannini and had no complaint. We both shared the French fries.
    The decor is very pleasant.

• Abuelos: Better ask!

by kuhakakai Written Dec 22, 2008

We live nearby and have eaten often at Abuelos. We never thought you were supposed to ask what kind of oil they use. We knew it wasnt slimming food. But online, they had some $5 discount coupons, so we went often. Recently, we saw a documentary film about genetically modified foods. It featured a restaurant owner saying it was only when customers started asking him about GM foods that he went out and educated himself. So, in this case, we asked first what kind of oil was used. It was butter, we were told, mixed with margarine. The spinach and cheese side dish tasted strongly of butter, and we dont eat much butter, for our cardiovascular health. Then we talked to the manager, who told us olive oil is much more expensive, but we could ask for it, in the future. The vegetarian fajitas are cooked in butter and margarine, too. We're very sorry we didnt ask on our first trip, but we never ask that, at restaurants. We assume they use an inexpensive vegetable oil, which, we realize, may not be the healthiest type either. It could have palm oil, for example. Soy and corn oils are now usually GM. We've read a book or two on this subject and want to avoid it, tho we know you'd almost have to eat at home exclusively to do so, and eat organic. We will say Abuelos has beautiful murals, a lovely ambience, decor, service, and tasty food. The manager did spend plenty of time with me and seemed to care about keeping our business. Costco is nearby and they give 10% discounts to members.

Favorite Dish: Beef enchiladas and papas con queso.

• Travel2write's Profile Photo

Vientiane Restaurant: Great Thai Food

by Travel2write Updated Oct 19, 2008

Great little family run Thai/Lao food restaurant. Small neighborhood place that is somewhat affordable. Great little place to escape on a cold winter day. The spicy soups will warm you up on a cold day.

Favorite Dish: Any of the lomein noodle dishes are great! Recommend the tea and sweatened coffee also. No dish more that 12 dollars.

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Bluephies: not one whole grain bread to choose from

by kuhakakai Written Sep 15, 2008

I used to really like this restaurant and I've eaten there several times over 5 years. It isnt especially economical compared to other places we go more regularly. Last time we were there, we had a crab sandwich. It was bland.
    We shared it. They charged us for that. They had no whole grain bread on hand. Shipment wasnt received, the waitress said. The lentil soup was ok, but quite salty. I dont understand why so many restaurants arent cooperating with the new trend of healthy eating, whole grains. This isnt anything elitist. It's been on Oprah for a long time, and the popular Dr Oz books, as well as best selling author Dr Andrew Weil also stress it's importance. There is no reason, anymore, to eat any grain that isnt "whole", on a pizza crust, bread, or whatever. Unless, of course, you yearn for a tender, delicious croissant.

• Buffalo Wild Wings in Monona/Madison, WI: Atrocious Service

by maxbenson Written Mar 23, 2008

Food, no doubt, is great at any BW3. But, service is another matter.

This place was atrocious in their treatment. I went in at 10:15pm on Easter Sunday-2008, the place was 90% empty with one table occupied and half a dozen people at the bar. I went and sat at the bar - a full five minutes passed and all the bartending girl was interested in doing was chatting with other people, not even making eye contact or saying anything to me. I was literally frustrated by the lack of attention and walked out. I have never been to a worse place in my life.

Favorite Dish: Boneless wings with my favorite sauces and potato wedges.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Himal Chuli: Good Nepalese Food

by Babzz Written Jan 8, 2008

The food was tasty, LOTS of vegetarian options. The decor is nice. Staff quite friendly. The restaurant seems very popular. It was very busy. My only qualm is that it is very small with the tables close together. It's a place for a quick meal and then you're out. Cash only (in Jan 2008).

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Kabul Restaurant: Delicious Afghani Food!

by Babzz Written Jan 7, 2008

Great atmosphere, relaxing music, friendly staff. Servings were of a good size. Nice menu, good variety. The kabobs were delicious. Beers from the region were available. This restaurant has received much praise as evident from the newspaper clippings and awards displayed on the wall. Recommended.

• Cafe Continental: Owner is Not worthy

by wifoodie Updated Aug 15, 2007

With locations both downtown and in Fitchburg, the Cafe Continental is making its mark on Madison. In my opinion the mark is a black eye. I've supported and frequented this spot because of big menu with a wide range of options. But I will not be going back and and strongly discourage you from going there as well, regardless of how enticed you are by the menu. My last visit was ruined by a 90 mintue wait for our food. The owner, not a manager but the owner, made no effort to apologize or to compesate us. When we approached him he was rude and arrogant. Madison is swimming with excellent dining choices that appreciate our business. The continental cafe is not worthy of our patronage.

• Marigolds: Best Way to Start your Day

by wifoodie Written Aug 15, 2007

The is absolutely the best breakfast spot Madison has to offer. In fact, I would challenge it to any breakfast place in the states! It is a small, counter service spot with brightly painted walls. It is often crowded but the kitchen if efficient and keeps up with the pace remarkably well. That being said, this is not the place to go lookikng for a quiet spot to set up with lap top and drink coffee for hours. The 2 owners value local farming and ingedients. The menu is always changing featuring the seasonsal produce. They are open M-sat 7am -2pm. Lunches are also wonderful. Sandwhiches are served on great breads. The salads are loaded with toppings and topped with awesome vinaigrettes. I encourage you to visit their website to check out the menus. Although driving around the capitol square can be confusing, this place will definitely be worth your efforts!

Favorite Dish: Breakfast sandwhich with nueskes bacon; Scramblers with crab, corn and asparagus; Omlette with roasted tomatos, artichokes and asiago cheese. Rueben made with home made corned beer; Cheesebruger has this awesome sauce on it; Grilled chicken salad with amazing light champagne vinaigrette.

• The Old Fashion: Hearty Favorites Done Well

by wifoodie Written Aug 15, 2007

Casual Bar type setting. View of the state capital. Service has traditionally been good. Food selection is stick to your bones old fashioned comfort foods. Not what you should be eating everyday. But it's a great place for hearty meals that are well prepared with very high quality ingredients.

Favorite Dish: Spinach Salad with bacon dressing---greens are just wilted; proper amount of dressing used so that the salad was not drowning. Cheese plates from local cheesemakers boast WI pride in their number one known product.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Marigold Kitchen: Great new restaurant

by Tom_In_Madison Updated May 4, 2007

photo form the street

Real nice little, eclectic, restaurant. Started by a couple guys from SF. Open for lunch and breakfast. Has good sandwiches, soups, and things like that. For brekkie the usual fare, try the French toast. It’s usual food, but the combinations of foods they put together are what make this stand out from any other restaurant. Gets very crowded on ‘Farmers Market Saturdays’.

The owners have now opened up a more upscale restaurant called 'Sardine'. It's located 3 blocks east of the Capitol where Williamson St starts. So if you like Marigold, you'll probably like Sardine.

Favorite Dish: French toast for breakfast is very good.

• mwenn2100's Profile Photo

Monty's Blue Plate Diner: Breakfast stop

by mwenn2100 Written Jan 7, 2007

Okay, so I'm partial to awesome breakfast and this place fits the bill. After a night out on the town this is a great place to show up at 2pm and get some great food! :) Breakfast is served all day along with lunch and dinner options. The restaurant appears to be an old fashioned diner, with a sit down counter, tables, booths, outdoor seating, and the ever important bakery display case! The staff is young and fun, the customers are from every walk of life.

The food ranges from traditional to ecclectic (bacon and eggs to a Mediterranean eggs benedict)... all are really good and filling to boot. I've heard the pie is to die for (although I haven't indulged yet). Stop by for a fun atmosphere and great food.

Favorite Dish: Any of the breakfasts

• mwenn2100's Profile Photo

Weary Traveler: Relaxed atmosphere and great times

by mwenn2100 Written Jan 7, 2007

This restaurant has the perfect atmosphere for the eclectic crowd that gathers in Madison. It's a small local restaurant that is always packed. If you go on a Friday or Saturday night expect a wait, but don't get discouraged... just grab a drink from the bar and do some great people watching. There is a bar (serving every kind of drink imaginable), a slew of round tables, a closet with board games, and a tight-knit friendly atmosphere. There is an extremely small stage in which I am told local bands play (although I've never been there during a show).

The food is very eclectic and boasts unique menu items (some standards with a crazy twist as well). The menu is fairly small, but everyone should be able to find something here. They have appetizer plates (chips, guacamole, salsa, and pickled vegetables... yum, etc). Unique sandwiches and some great soup. The only downside is that on a busy night the service is fairly slow, but hopefully you're enjoying the atmosphere and conversation so much that it's not that noticeable!

Favorite Dish: Love the Mexican appetizer plate (didn't think I liked pickled veggies, but it turns out I do)... great homemade guacamole. The Asian soup (can't remember the name of it) is to die for (and that's coming from someone who isn't a huge tofu fan!) The sandwiches are all excellent and I love the twists that they incorporate.

Instant Answers: Madison

Comments

Madison Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Madison restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madison sightseeing.