Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

by tetonski1

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee

• The Hot Spots

by MKEcitizen1986 Written Mar 24, 2014

Milwaukee demographics are unique because it is still very racially seperated in residential neighborhoods but has a distinct core and what some people call ghetto pockets further out. This is for the City proper, not the county as a whole. Most of the suburbs of Milwaukee are as a whole pretty decent, or not nearly as bad as the City itself. Basicly stay East of Interstate 43, that is where most of the attractions and events take place anyhow and usually has a significant police presence to deter crime. Once you get off the freeway and go into the City west of I-43 you will be in for surprise. Use the freeway to get to out lying attractions it is the safest. The city government police website actually does a good job showing you where crime is most frequent

• Motorcycle
    • Business Travel

• Lots of ignorance on this board.

by Buckylaw14 Written Mar 9, 2014

I live in the burbs and work in downtown, and spend as much time there as I can. With Milwaukee there are three Milwaukees, the crime and poverty ridden north central and North western parts of the City, the working class but still crime ridden South west side and then there's the prosperous East Side. The East side and downtown parts of the City have low crime rate, low rates of unemployment, a gorgeous lakefront and a stellar collection of buildings from the late 19th century and early 20th century. I recommend Brady Street, East North Avenue, the Third Ward, Prospect Farwell and East Town.

Most of the people calling the entire city crime ridden either haven't visited it in 25 years or have a political axe to grind against Milwaukee.

• Milwaukee & West Allis

by Boo_radley414 Written Oct 2, 2013

Milwaukee is dangerous. North side, east side, west side, south side, all dangerous. I'd highly advise you to stay off of the north side. This includes streets such as Capitol, Center, Burleigh, North, Vine, Locust, and Vliet. The south side is dangerous but not as dangerous as the north. The south side includes streets such as Lincoln, Burnham, Becher, and Muskego. West Milwaukee is dangerous around 50-59th and Greenfield. West Allis isn't part of Milwaukee city, but it's an area with a reputation of a safe area. Don't believe this. Areas such as 76th street, 71st street, and Becher street are all sketchy. Long story short, Milwaukee is dangerous all over and so is it's neighboring city West Allis.

• Business Travel
    • Adventure Travel

• kandon06's Profile Photo

Milwaukee is safe, as long as you know how to act.

by kandon06 Written Sep 6, 2013

I lived on 67th and Silver Spring for 6 years with two little kids, right across the street from the city's "most dangerous" projects. I was the only white girl within probably a 5 mile radius. Aside from a couple incidents with people trying to break into my house, and seeing someone get stabbed in the alley behind my house and being followed in the alley ONCE (nothing happened) it was o.k. As long as you mind your own business, people will leave you alone. That goes for most of the north side. It might look a little rundown in places, you may see some bums. For the most part, Milwaukee is safe. If you're on the far south side by the airport, no worries. Suburbs are generally safe. The only part of the city you really have to worry about (in my experience) is the south side, the Lincoln/Mitchell St. area in the lower numbers (27th St. on down to Kinnikinnic). Even there, as long as you don't act like an idiot you're pretty much safe.If you're still worried, stick to the freeways and off the surface streets and you will be JUST FINE.

THIS BEING SAID:

I love Milwaukee, it's the only place I've ever really felt at home. So much to do, so much to see. Good people with mid-western values. When I go back to visit, the smell of hops from the Miller brewery almost brings me to tears. If I had the chance, I'd move back in a heartbeat. Please visit the city! I think you will love it too!

• raquelita1984's Profile Photo

Segregated City

by raquelita1984 Written Jul 3, 2012

Plain and simple, the Northwest side of Milwaukee is where you do not want to visit (day or night). It extends pretty much in the section West of I43 and North of I94. Marquette area is OK, can be slightly sketchy at night, so just travel in groups. The south side (South of I94, western side of I43), can be very sketchy too, but I have no problem riding my bike there during the day. Downtown and areas east along the lake are the safest parts of the city. Use your best judgement, it's overall a pretty safe city.

• milwkath's Profile Photo

Tried of the put down

by milwkath Updated Jul 13, 2011

I am 65 years young and have lived all my life in this city. I have traveld around the US and the world.
    As for Milwaukee, in caparison to many other city's we are agreat city. Grant you parts of the city have sadly declined from what I once knew it to be due to gangs. But then you show me any big city that does not have this problme. I have been to other state Which are far wrost then ours. As a few others on here have said. You use common seance and do not go into parts of town that are bad. If unsure you ask were to go or not to. Dont walk around late at night as even in the best part of ANY town you can get robbed. Yes if you walk around with money hanging out of your pockets your asking for it.

It is sad that people frist hear the bad things about a place rater then the good. I do get upset with our city as it does not point out more of what a wonderful old city this is.

The people here are nice friendly people and there is good and bad all over.
    Come and enjoyed the wonderful food, fun and grand places to see.

• Street Walkers!!! Gang Bangers!!!!

by Damnme15 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am form the city of Milwaukee. I recently read other peoples opinions and safety tips about Milwaukee. They say Milwaukee has low crime rate. Please that is not true. Milwaukee has a high crime rate. I grew up on the streets. It is so hard. There were so many encounters where i was forced to do things or i might have been killed. Ive seen so many girl get raped as young as 5. there are some very sick people there. I grew up in the projects. Being a young black boy, i struggled everyday with drugs, breaking into peoples cars. At least everyday i saw at least 3 people get shot. So many people break into other peoples cars for their boom boom boxez and radios and cd players. My father has had his cd player stolen at least 10 times literally. Ive seen so many car jackings. do not drive at night in a Monte Carlo. The worst gang there is Tre 7. They are along with Tre 6 which is from Chicago. Because Milwakee is so close to Chicago, the crime increases everyday. And for the ladies, dont walk by yourself. Try to carry a cell phone. If you do not, i garunteee you will be threatened, or robbed or murdered. Life in Milwaukee is very hard, so please, be careful and do not stare at any one and do not race when you get to a stop lite with someone, because if they loose, ,you will die. Sounds bad but its true. Stay away from fights. Just be careful its no joke when your're there. Also the worst part is over on N. 76th and Madison High is the worst school there. Please Stay safe.

• Milwaukee

by Gamay9 Written Nov 6, 2009

I lived in Milwaukee the first 35 years of my life. The early years were in what was an old German neighborhood, but I was three when we moved to the far outskirts and the old neighborhood was, for years, a slum. The area was made into public housing but is still dangerous for outsiders and insiders.

The city is ranked 2nd amongst all large US cities in safety. Only Minneapolis ranks higher. This is because the crime rate has been reduced dramatically. It started about the time I left, but I'm an 'Innocent Man' (Billy Joel). There used to be a lot of young black-on-elderly white crime. That's gone. The only issue now is black-on-black, gang related crime.

The downtown and near east side is beautiful , clean and safe.

I lived there for 35 years, went into some of the really tough neighborhoods and never got into a scrape.

Milwaukee is a very under-rated city and doesn't get the exposure it deserves, despite the fact that it has major sports, lots of events, great zoo and has retained the old world charm like many European cities, with tall church spires and refurbished mansions and other historic buildings.

The ultimate hotel is the Pfister, but the rates have sky-rocketed. When I visit, I stay at the Astor, Knickerbocker or County Clare, all within a block of each other. The County Clare is a newer hotel with Irish motiff and attached Irish restaurant. These three hotels are right off Lake Michigan on a bluff overlooking a beach and marina, smack in the center of 'east towne,' near downtown and the art center/Calatrava. The neighborhood is safe and very chic.

• Museum Visits
    • Zoo

• Dani91's Profile Photo

Milwaukee Is Safe

by Dani91 Written Jan 1, 2008

I live near Milwaukee and don't be fooled by the bad remarks made about it. Yes, there is crime, but so does every city, no matter how large it is. If you are smart about your actions, then you wont have any problems. There are bad parts of town, but no town is exempt from that, Milwaukee included. Just be aware of your surroundings and use the same common sense you would use in any other big city. As for the comment about Mayfair (which is in Wauwatosa, outside of Milwaukee) there have been problems in the past but there have been improvements (i.e. restriction of unaccompanied minors at night on the weekends) and all of the past problems occured later at night. I have never felt threatened or unsafe in Milwaukee. If you are a tourist, the "bad parts" arent anywhere where you would be anyways so dont fear.

• A LITTLE SCARY!!

by jeflepard Written Sep 6, 2007

MILWAUKEE IS A CRAZY LITTLE PLACE. I"VE LIVED IN BERLIN GERMANY, CHICAGO ILL, PHOENIX AZ, AND NOW IN LAS VEGAS NV. I"VE GOT TO SAY,... I"VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO MORE TROUBLE IN THE MIL-TOWN THAN ANYWHERE ELSE. I"M NOT SURE IF ITS THE COLD OR THE PEOPLE.. MY OLD MY BEST FRIEND KILLED (STRANGLED) HIS GIRL FRIEND, KILLED HER..AND NOW IS SITTING ANOTHER 8 YEARS.. WE WERE NORMAL KIDS GROWING UP SKATEBOARDING, DRINKING 40'S AND SMOKIN GRASS (MARIJUANA) AND LISTENING TO HIP-HOP AND FREESTYLIN IN THE BASEMENT.. I STARTED SLANGING TREES (MARIJUANA) AND HUSTING TO SURVIVE (SELLING 24-7) I DONT KNOW WHAT GOT INTO ME BUT I GOT BUSTED. MY HOUSE GOT RAIDED ON THE SOUTH-SIDE (MITCHELL AREA) AND LUCKILY I HAD NOTHING. THEY DIDNT CATCH ME.. ENDED UP WITH A DEAD IGUANA AND A MESSY HOUSE. BOY.. DID THAT PLACE TEACH ME A LESSON.. I"VE CLEANED UP MY ACT AND NOW AM STILL.. STRUGGLING IN VEGAS BUT HEY.. I"M NOT IN MILWAUKEE ANYMORE.. IF I WAS I PROB WOULD HAVE ENDED UP IN JAIL WITH MY FRIEND FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER... I"VE LEARNED MY LESSON....

• Dabs's Profile Photo

7-7-07, what a lucky day

by Dabs Written Aug 28, 2007

Maybe for me 7-7-07 was a lucky day as in UNLUCKY! I wish I could blame my lucky day injury on alcohol but all I have to rely on is sheer klutziness. We were up at Summerfest in Milwaukee to see a band, in the pursuit of a better seat, I was climbing over some metal benches, put my foot down and my ankle twisted to a position I didn't know was possible for a foot and ankle, it was like something out of a horror movie. My ankle proceeded to balloon to twice it's size instanteaneouly!

Did I go home then? No, of course not, that would have been something a
    sensible person would have done. But I had driven all the way to Milwaukee, paid $30 for the two of us to get in, nabbed a perfect parking spot and damn if I was going to leave. So David went off to get a compression bandage and ice and then I proceeded to stand for 90 minutes (all my weight on the other foot at least) and then walk back to the car.

So I go to the doctor and he says "well I have good news...sort of...it's not broken, it's sprained. So you don't have to wear a plaster cast but sprains don't always heal right." And then he proceeds to whip out this GIANT boot (this is the good news???), it looks like I should be auditioning to play a storm trooper in Star Wars!

Three weeks in an aircast, during which I had vacations to NYC and Maui plus Pierogi Fest, three weeks in an ankle cast which I dutifully wore while traipsing around Swizterland, France and Liechtenstein. After 7-8 weeks, it's still swollen but at least I can walk unaided again!

• Downtown and Eastside

by snoozo Written Sep 29, 2006

I work downtown and live on the East Side. I've been here about 2 1/2 years so am pretty familiar with the area. I have never had any issues, except while walking downtown during my lunch break (with my nice suit on) being harrassed a couple times. You may come across a drunk in some parts of downtown during the day. The best thing to do is to not make any eye contact, ignore any comments, and continue on your way. The homeless are different from Chicago. They don't bother you too much, they usually stay to themselves and are harmless. I wouldn't walk alone early morning or late night. You'll come across weirdos here and there but nothing to be afraid of. The diversity in milwaukee is lacking...it's mainly just black and whites and both seem to hate each other. there's a lot of racial tension and you'll rarely see black and whites mixing.

• liusia's Profile Photo

Dangerous Milwaukee?

by liusia Updated Sep 21, 2006

There's been a lot of conflicting information posted in this section about the dangers of living in Milwaukee. As someone who lives in 53212, the highest crime zip code in Milwaukee - and in Wisconsin - I'd like to share a few pointers.

Milwaukee is one of the largest cities in the US - by some measures, 22nd in population. It's also part of the high population density "megapolis" that rings the lower shores of Lake Michigan, and includes Chicago. So it does have the issues that face any area with lots of highly mobile people crammed into a small space - gangs, property crime, muggings, traffic, etc. However, these problems are generally avoidable by behaving intelligently, and there certainly isn't any anarchy here. These issues shouldn't dissuade anyone from coming to the city, nor should you feel unsafe, as long as you show a bit of common sense.

Basically, don't tempt potential criminals. Don't leave doors unlocked or windows open. Don't park in dimly lit streets or alleys. Don't leave belonging visible on the seats or floor of your car. Don't wear flashy jewlery or walk around rougher neighborhoods wearing obviously expensive clothing. Don't walk the streets after dark alone, or drunk.

My own neighborhood, where I live and work, is pretty rough. There are definitely a few drug dens, which leads to property crime (people will do anything for a fix, sometimes). But during the day in good weather, it's not at all dangerous to walk around. After dark, you drive - with your doors locked. It's as simple as that.

Basically, be aware of your surroundings, and be cautious. Be ALERT, but there's no reason to be AFRAID. Yes, there's crime. No, you're not randomly going to be beaten or shot in the street.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Another perspective on crime in Milwaukee

by svicious Written Sep 8, 2006

I lived in Milwaukee (city, not suburbs) for over 20 years and moved away approximately 10 years ago. I still visit frequently and know the city well. I have to say it's always been sketchy if not downright bad in some neighborhoods but is very clearly trending for the worse. 25 years ago the "bad areas" were confined to a large part of the North Side and a much smaller part of the near South Side. Since that time the Northwest side (a very large area) has declined rapidly, portions of the East side (generally the nicest part of town) have declined and the "bad area" on the South Side has expanded both Southward and Westward. Some areas have indeed progressed (Brewers Hill and the area betwen it and the Milwaukee River, the area around Conordia College) but they are overwhelmed by those that have slid toward the undesirable.

Property crime (burglaries, auto breakins in particular as I personally had my car broken into at least ten times in as many years) has always been quite prevalent but violent crime used to be a relative rarity and mostly gang related and confined to known "bad areas". This no longer seems to be the case. The city is gaining a reputation for mob beatings. There were 28 people shot in one recent holiday weekend. I personally had a brick thrown at my car recently out of nowhere by a couple of thugs. Having said that, most any area a visitor would actually care to see (Downtown, East side, pretty much any burb, most of the Southside) are all decent and desirable areas to visit and the city has a lot going for it.

• Mayfair Mall

by kippy5 Written May 11, 2006

DO NOT listen to the comment about Mayfair Mall. Someone in a previous post said the security guards turn their heads during all of the rowdy activities described; I haven't ever seen a security guard not doing his/her job. I work at the mall and I have never had any problems with anyone. Yes, there have been incidents at the movie theater, but that doesn't deter me from going to movies there. However, maybe a closed-minded person like whoever left that comment shouldn't be allowed to go to the mall!

Instant Answers: Milwaukee

• Feb 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Write your comment...

• Feb 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks.. what FORUM would you suggst?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Feb 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

On the list over on the top left of the page the bottom link is for forums, post there in the Milwaukee forum :-)

• Dec 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I am planning to take a short trip to Milwaukee. I would arrive at the airport on a January day, take a rental or hotel shuttle to Hilton by West Michigan street, attend to a concert at Riverside, head back to hotel and then take a flight back home to NYC next day.
    I just wanted to know what I would encounter during this trip? Is it totally safe around the venue? I see that it looks like a very nice town from google street view, but I really cannot tell since we also have pretty cool nice looking towns in NYC and NJ but it is actually a make up to cover the crap that's going on in the area. Also google maps show pretty classy places around there. Any feedback or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a walk in the area to see some restaurants, etc..

• Nov 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Consider this a very balanced view of Milwaukee as I've traveled a lot. Lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Boston. . Downtown Milwaukee is great place to visit and so beautiful on the lake front. Million dollar "gold coast" type condo buildings, University Club, Art Museum, Discovery World, Children's Museum and really nice hotels. Lovely running paths and beaches along the lake. Great restaurants downtown (Rock Bottom, etc) and along Water street, (Visit Harbor House restaurant on the water front by Discovery Museum and you'll take in the whole city.) The whole area around downtown and east of Hwy 43 (with exception of area around University of WIsconsin Milwaukee) is very nice all the way up the lakefront to Door County which is a good 120 miles of lake shore frontage. Third Ward is revitalized warehouse district (with Lululemon, Anthropoligie, Spas, Starbucks, Microbreweries, etc. ) great area just south of I94 downtown, Summerfest is amazing and all the lake front festivals all year around. The Milwaukee Brewer games are great and can't miss tailgating. (Will admit that most of these venues are pretty 'white Milwaukeens" as Milwaukee is segrated for sure. Love to see nice black families enjoying these events, but don't see it enough. All areas are really safe and great for outdoor events biking, etc. Bayshore Mall in Whitefish Bay is really nice new concept area with Cheesecake Factory and every store imaginable...looks like downtown City Place in Palm Beach. Shopping downtown is not great which is too bad, so head to these areas, or Brady Street or Third Ward.. Grand Avenue just doesn't have the vibrant stores of the past.. Boston Store anchors it, and a TJ Maxx...but gone are the Laura Ashleys, and really nicer bookstores, etc. So head to the suburban malls. And yes, Mayfair Mall is really nice to visit...they cleaned up the 'Youth Congregation" problem when they put in a over 16 rule requiring a adult guardian, and added Cheesecake Factory, Maggianos, McCormick & Smidts, big Crate & Barrel out front...so black youth can't hang in the common areas without a purpose anymore.

Here are the areas to be careful of...just west of University of Milwaukee is still a pocket of crime and ghettoish housing. Some revitalization along RiverWest is helping. Marquette University is a really nice campus and has their sports fields on the south side of I94 near Potawanamie Casino, which eventually melds into the Third Ward, so just fine. Marquette tries to keep their campus safe for their students, but they do border on areas which run into the ghetto areas. Also any area North of "North Avenue" and" South of Brown Deer Road" needs your radar up. This would be considered the "ghetto" of Milwaukee. The worst area being west of 20th street, just south of Capital Drive and Teutonia. Really there is just no reason to venture into these areas as there is no reason to go to most rough areas of a city. But, I always say there are a lot of really great hard working black families living in these areas that also want to keep there areas safe for their children, so hope for the best. To get to downtown Milwaukee from the suburbs you often need to take Capitol Drive or Silver Spring or Good Hope route and you'll drive thru some seedy areas, but not violent during day...been to much worse ghetto drive routes in Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philly. Some areas North of Mitchell Airport and also south of Third Wardin Milwaukee can be a little gang related, but then again there are some amazing ethnic Spanish/Mexican restaurants in these areas.

The west suburbs (starting with Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Pewaukee have great lifestyle and lake living), and Southwest like Greenfield are all very nice, and even drive the 70 miles to visit Madison and the University of Wisconsin campus. Northern suburbs of Milwaukee are all really nice...Fox Point Mequon, Cedarburg (really cool), Germantown, Thiensville, etc.

Venturing down to Racine and Kenosha requires some research as there are some rough patches in these cities as you get to the Chicago northern suburbs which are nice. Lake Geneva area is about 35 minutes from Milwaukee and is really cool.

Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Milwaukee warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Milwaukee sightseeing.