Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

by tetonski1

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee

• Another perspective on crime in Milwaukee

by svicious Written Sep 8, 2006

I lived in Milwaukee (city, not suburbs) for over 20 years and moved away approximately 10 years ago. I still visit frequently and know the city well. I have to say it's always been sketchy if not downright bad in some neighborhoods but is very clearly trending for the worse. 25 years ago the "bad areas" were confined to a large part of the North Side and a much smaller part of the near South Side. Since that time the Northwest side (a very large area) has declined rapidly, portions of the East side (generally the nicest part of town) have declined and the "bad area" on the South Side has expanded both Southward and Westward. Some areas have indeed progressed (Brewers Hill and the area betwen it and the Milwaukee River, the area around Conordia College) but they are overwhelmed by those that have slid toward the undesirable.

Property crime (burglaries, auto breakins in particular as I personally had my car broken into at least ten times in as many years) has always been quite prevalent but violent crime used to be a relative rarity and mostly gang related and confined to known "bad areas". This no longer seems to be the case. The city is gaining a reputation for mob beatings. There were 28 people shot in one recent holiday weekend. I personally had a brick thrown at my car recently out of nowhere by a couple of thugs. Having said that, most any area a visitor would actually care to see (Downtown, East side, pretty much any burb, most of the Southside) are all decent and desirable areas to visit and the city has a lot going for it.

• Mayfair Mall

by kippy5 Written May 11, 2006

DO NOT listen to the comment about Mayfair Mall. Someone in a previous post said the security guards turn their heads during all of the rowdy activities described; I haven't ever seen a security guard not doing his/her job. I work at the mall and I have never had any problems with anyone. Yes, there have been incidents at the movie theater, but that doesn't deter me from going to movies there. However, maybe a closed-minded person like whoever left that comment shouldn't be allowed to go to the mall!

• Milwaukee is NOT a bad place

by nowski Written Sep 17, 2005

I have lived in Milwaukee for 27 years. I just got done reading about all the dangers of the area. What a load of bull!

Milwaukee just like any other major city has it's bad areas. The crime rate is not anywhere near as bad as all these other tips make it sound to be.

Get your radio stole? Yeah it's possible. But unless your driving in a bad neighbor hood like the Northside, parts of the East side and parts of Downtown you have next to nothing to worry about. Nothing more to worry about then any other major city.

• typical warnings

by LaFreakEgurL Written Aug 15, 2005

downtown Milwaukee at night is an average metro city... if you are a woman DO NOT walk the streets of downtown alone!! I made the mistake of doing this ONCE and I was harrassed by a bunch of men in a van that wanted to give me a ride..

but even during the day time you will find your occasional nuts.

there are pockets, or bubbles, of really nice neighborhoods, and really scary neighborhoods, the funniest thing is that you can be driving down a straight road, 12 blocks, nice, 12 blocks, ghetto, 10 blocks, rich neighborhood, 9 blocks white trash... It is the weirdest thing that I have EVER seen in my life.. if you ever want to experience this take Wisconsin Avenue, starting in downtown around 2nd or 3rd street traveling west you will drive through 500,000.00 home neighborhoods, then into a very Ghetto, and scary neighborhood, then into a 250,000.00 home neighborhood, etc. it really is trippy to see the dramatic changes.

• There are problems all over but not as bad

by espygang Written Aug 1, 2005

Before I let on my trip to milwaukee last week.
    I read some of the warnings. After I got there I found some to be overblown . My wife and i stayed in south Milwaukee near the airport.
    We were told by another traveler at the hotel not you use any side streets in the city. only use the highways to get to where we had to go. My wife trusts what she calls my sixsence
    about bad areas. so I did not take the advice of that traveler and took back streets to where
    we had to go. and as you guessed nothing happened. the only area we were told not to go was the north west area of Milwaukee from a worker at the Cheese mart on old world 3rd. Every were you go in every city there are problems. The best way to find out where not to go is to talk to people that live or work in the area your at and also trust your own feelings. first golden rule is "IF IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT TURN AROUND UNTIL IT DOES".

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Large rodent infestation?

by yooperprof Written Jun 25, 2005

On my last visit to Milwaukee I was heading for a restaurant on the east side when I noticed these two large rodents climbing up a steam-venting pipe.

It looks as if they are preparing to pour something down the stack. Perhaps Homeland Security should be notified?

when the cat's away?

• debrajeandaria's Profile Photo

crazy racist white lady

by debrajeandaria Written Jan 10, 2005

Don't listen to the woman who says not to go to mayfair mall! It is the nicest mall in the city! I see she did not leave a name or email address so we can comment to her! What the hell would she know about Gang activity? Please. I think she is just scared of Black People.

• babybird's Profile Photo

USE COMMON SENSE and you should be fine.

by babybird Updated Aug 29, 2004

I've done a lot of driving and walking in Milwaukee and the same rules apply for this
    city as any other large one. It is a good idea
    to have a good roadmap and plan ahead. The city is actually pretty easy to get around once you know some basics. There is pretty good logic to the series of one-ways downtown. Freeways are often under construction and delays can be long in rush hour traffic as well. If you are looking to head downtown from the west side in the afternoon, you may try what we did and come in on Wisconsin Avenue instead of the freeway. There are surprisingly few traffic lights and the route is pretty safe. I will add
    that at least on Wisconsin Avenue there are times when many intersections will flash a
    "NO LEFT TURN" Sign to keep the flow of traffic going. Know this in advance and you should do ok.

The downtown and riverwalk district is well-lit
    and police presence is strong. I asked
    a local officer about that area and he said
    it's generally pretty safe. If I were a female,
    I'd probably go in a group, but anything south of Juneau always seems decent. North of Juneau the buildings start looking rundown and we noticed enough rough looking characters to not wish to venture further. We spent a good deal of time in the riverwalk and Water Street section on this last
    trip and nothing seemed even remotely out of place. Just the same, I would keep valuables hidden as car break-ins are frequent.
    IT IS A LARGE CITY and serious crime does occur here.. Even in the better sections I wouldn't be stupid and walk around juggling a camera and a fistful of cash with a map in one hand. That would just be inviting trouble. If you have a few "street smarts," you should have a very enjoyable stay.

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

"A Beautiful City, But There's Still Crime!'

by tetonski1 Written Apr 24, 2004

While I was at the Rock Bottom Brewery one night along Milwaukee's Riverfront, the bartender told us to be careful walking home. He continued to tell us about how a beautiful young waitress from his restaurant had died last year (1993) after leaving the restaurant. She was beaten with a tire iron raped, and then robbed.

This is a beautiful city, however it is a city, and cities always have their criminal element. My advise is just to always be aware of your surroundings, and travel with others, and not alone.

I looked into this story after I returned home, and have included the picture of the murderer below, as well as a website to the story about this tragic event.

• Not That Bad

by Graveyard_Plume Written Mar 31, 2004

I've lived in the suburbs of Milwaukee my entire life and within the city limits of Milwaukee for the past 5 years. I have never seen a crime take place. I've never had a crime happen to me or anyone I know with one exception - a friend recently had her wallet stolen at La Fuente, a local Mexican restaurant. Yes, there are areas of the city that are high crime areas; every city has them. But they certainly aren't going to be the areas you'll be vacationing in. And no, we do not have 3 shootings a day, even in the really bad areas.

It is common sense to use the buddy system no matter where you are. So when out at night have at least one other person with you.

Also, downtown Milwaukee is very well lit at night.

• Crime Warning

by svicious22 Written May 17, 2003

Milwaukee doesn't have all that much violent crime, during the day, it's generally a very safe city and even at night it's no worse than average for personal safety. However, there is quite a bit of property crime. Vehicles are broken into quite often. This is true in many areas of the city, so choose your parking arrangements carefully.

• Watch out for robbers

by pumpkin915 Written Apr 16, 2003

Don't be by yourself in Milwaukee at night and for the women, I would make sure there were at least 3 of us together, even then I wouldn't feel that safe. It is good to have at least one guy with you if you out cruising at night.

• blaird's Profile Photo

Theft

by blaird Written Jan 9, 2003

On the East side of Milwaukee, don't leave stuff that looks valuable to theifs in your car. I had my car stereo stolen, and I know someone that had their crappy old boom box stolen from their car. I don't know about other parts of Milwaukee, just the East side.

Instant Answers: Milwaukee

• Feb 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Write your comment...

• Feb 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks.. what FORUM would you suggst?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Feb 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

On the list over on the top left of the page the bottom link is for forums, post there in the Milwaukee forum :-)

• Dec 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I am planning to take a short trip to Milwaukee. I would arrive at the airport on a January day, take a rental or hotel shuttle to Hilton by West Michigan street, attend to a concert at Riverside, head back to hotel and then take a flight back home to NYC next day.
    I just wanted to know what I would encounter during this trip? Is it totally safe around the venue? I see that it looks like a very nice town from google street view, but I really cannot tell since we also have pretty cool nice looking towns in NYC and NJ but it is actually a make up to cover the crap that's going on in the area. Also google maps show pretty classy places around there. Any feedback or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a walk in the area to see some restaurants, etc..

• Nov 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Consider this a very balanced view of Milwaukee as I've traveled a lot. Lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Boston. . Downtown Milwaukee is great place to visit and so beautiful on the lake front. Million dollar "gold coast" type condo buildings, University Club, Art Museum, Discovery World, Children's Museum and really nice hotels. Lovely running paths and beaches along the lake. Great restaurants downtown (Rock Bottom, etc) and along Water street, (Visit Harbor House restaurant on the water front by Discovery Museum and you'll take in the whole city.) The whole area around downtown and east of Hwy 43 (with exception of area around University of WIsconsin Milwaukee) is very nice all the way up the lakefront to Door County which is a good 120 miles of lake shore frontage. Third Ward is revitalized warehouse district (with Lululemon, Anthropoligie, Spas, Starbucks, Microbreweries, etc. ) great area just south of I94 downtown, Summerfest is amazing and all the lake front festivals all year around. The Milwaukee Brewer games are great and can't miss tailgating. (Will admit that most of these venues are pretty 'white Milwaukeens" as Milwaukee is segrated for sure. Love to see nice black families enjoying these events, but don't see it enough. All areas are really safe and great for outdoor events biking, etc. Bayshore Mall in Whitefish Bay is really nice new concept area with Cheesecake Factory and every store imaginable...looks like downtown City Place in Palm Beach. Shopping downtown is not great which is too bad, so head to these areas, or Brady Street or Third Ward.. Grand Avenue just doesn't have the vibrant stores of the past.. Boston Store anchors it, and a TJ Maxx...but gone are the Laura Ashleys, and really nicer bookstores, etc. So head to the suburban malls. And yes, Mayfair Mall is really nice to visit...they cleaned up the 'Youth Congregation" problem when they put in a over 16 rule requiring a adult guardian, and added Cheesecake Factory, Maggianos, McCormick & Smidts, big Crate & Barrel out front...so black youth can't hang in the common areas without a purpose anymore.

Here are the areas to be careful of...just west of University of Milwaukee is still a pocket of crime and ghettoish housing. Some revitalization along RiverWest is helping. Marquette University is a really nice campus and has their sports fields on the south side of I94 near Potawanamie Casino, which eventually melds into the Third Ward, so just fine. Marquette tries to keep their campus safe for their students, but they do border on areas which run into the ghetto areas. Also any area North of "North Avenue" and" South of Brown Deer Road" needs your radar up. This would be considered the "ghetto" of Milwaukee. The worst area being west of 20th street, just south of Capital Drive and Teutonia. Really there is just no reason to venture into these areas as there is no reason to go to most rough areas of a city. But, I always say there are a lot of really great hard working black families living in these areas that also want to keep there areas safe for their children, so hope for the best. To get to downtown Milwaukee from the suburbs you often need to take Capitol Drive or Silver Spring or Good Hope route and you'll drive thru some seedy areas, but not violent during day...been to much worse ghetto drive routes in Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philly. Some areas North of Mitchell Airport and also south of Third Wardin Milwaukee can be a little gang related, but then again there are some amazing ethnic Spanish/Mexican restaurants in these areas.

The west suburbs (starting with Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Pewaukee have great lifestyle and lake living), and Southwest like Greenfield are all very nice, and even drive the 70 miles to visit Madison and the University of Wisconsin campus. Northern suburbs of Milwaukee are all really nice...Fox Point Mequon, Cedarburg (really cool), Germantown, Thiensville, etc.

Venturing down to Racine and Kenosha requires some research as there are some rough patches in these cities as you get to the Chicago northern suburbs which are nice. Lake Geneva area is about 35 minutes from Milwaukee and is really cool.

Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Milwaukee warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Milwaukee sightseeing.