Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee

• blaird's Profile Photo

Theft

by blaird Written Jan 9, 2003

On the East side of Milwaukee, don't leave stuff that looks valuable to theifs in your car. I had my car stereo stolen, and I know someone that had their crappy old boom box stolen from their car. I don't know about other parts of Milwaukee, just the East side.

• Street Walkers!!! Gang Bangers!!!!

by Damnme15 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am form the city of Milwaukee. I recently read other peoples opinions and safety tips about Milwaukee. They say Milwaukee has low crime rate. Please that is not true. Milwaukee has a high crime rate. I grew up on the streets. It is so hard. There were so many encounters where i was forced to do things or i might have been killed. Ive seen so many girl get raped as young as 5. there are some very sick people there. I grew up in the projects. Being a young black boy, i struggled everyday with drugs, breaking into peoples cars. At least everyday i saw at least 3 people get shot. So many people break into other peoples cars for their boom boom boxez and radios and cd players. My father has had his cd player stolen at least 10 times literally. Ive seen so many car jackings. do not drive at night in a Monte Carlo. The worst gang there is Tre 7. They are along with Tre 6 which is from Chicago. Because Milwakee is so close to Chicago, the crime increases everyday. And for the ladies, dont walk by yourself. Try to carry a cell phone. If you do not, i garunteee you will be threatened, or robbed or murdered. Life in Milwaukee is very hard, so please, be careful and do not stare at any one and do not race when you get to a stop lite with someone, because if they loose, ,you will die. Sounds bad but its true. Stay away from fights. Just be careful its no joke when your're there. Also the worst part is over on N. 76th and Madison High is the worst school there. Please Stay safe.

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

"A Beautiful City, But There's Still Crime!'

by tetonski1 Written Apr 24, 2004

While I was at the Rock Bottom Brewery one night along Milwaukee's Riverfront, the bartender told us to be careful walking home. He continued to tell us about how a beautiful young waitress from his restaurant had died last year (1993) after leaving the restaurant. She was beaten with a tire iron raped, and then robbed.

This is a beautiful city, however it is a city, and cities always have their criminal element. My advise is just to always be aware of your surroundings, and travel with others, and not alone.

I looked into this story after I returned home, and have included the picture of the murderer below, as well as a website to the story about this tragic event.

• Ignorant Reviews on this Website

by MilwaukeeCitizen Written Apr 19, 2014

Milwaukee is safe. The only bad parts are the innercity north side and around 5th and Lincoln. According to the MPD 98% of Crimes in Milwaukee occur on a targeted victim that they knew prior to the crime. There aren't many random acts of violence in Milwaukee. It's a safe city. Milwaukee's East Side and downtown is virtually crime free. Im assuming that alot of the reviews on here are coming from people living in the suburbs. I assure you that Milwaukee and its suburbs are safe.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Large rodent infestation?

by yooperprof Written Jun 25, 2005

On my last visit to Milwaukee I was heading for a restaurant on the east side when I noticed these two large rodents climbing up a steam-venting pipe.

It looks as if they are preparing to pour something down the stack. Perhaps Homeland Security should be notified?

when the cat's away?

• Downtown and Eastside

by snoozo Written Sep 29, 2006

I work downtown and live on the East Side. I've been here about 2 1/2 years so am pretty familiar with the area. I have never had any issues, except while walking downtown during my lunch break (with my nice suit on) being harrassed a couple times. You may come across a drunk in some parts of downtown during the day. The best thing to do is to not make any eye contact, ignore any comments, and continue on your way. The homeless are different from Chicago. They don't bother you too much, they usually stay to themselves and are harmless. I wouldn't walk alone early morning or late night. You'll come across weirdos here and there but nothing to be afraid of. The diversity in milwaukee is lacking...it's mainly just black and whites and both seem to hate each other. there's a lot of racial tension and you'll rarely see black and whites mixing.

• Lots of ignorance on this board.

by Buckylaw14 Written Mar 9, 2014

I live in the burbs and work in downtown, and spend as much time there as I can. With Milwaukee there are three Milwaukees, the crime and poverty ridden north central and North western parts of the City, the working class but still crime ridden South west side and then there's the prosperous East Side. The East side and downtown parts of the City have low crime rate, low rates of unemployment, a gorgeous lakefront and a stellar collection of buildings from the late 19th century and early 20th century. I recommend Brady Street, East North Avenue, the Third Ward, Prospect Farwell and East Town.

Most of the people calling the entire city crime ridden either haven't visited it in 25 years or have a political axe to grind against Milwaukee.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

7-7-07, what a lucky day

by Dabs Written Aug 28, 2007

Maybe for me 7-7-07 was a lucky day as in UNLUCKY! I wish I could blame my lucky day injury on alcohol but all I have to rely on is sheer klutziness. We were up at Summerfest in Milwaukee to see a band, in the pursuit of a better seat, I was climbing over some metal benches, put my foot down and my ankle twisted to a position I didn't know was possible for a foot and ankle, it was like something out of a horror movie. My ankle proceeded to balloon to twice it's size instanteaneouly!

Did I go home then? No, of course not, that would have been something a
    sensible person would have done. But I had driven all the way to Milwaukee, paid $30 for the two of us to get in, nabbed a perfect parking spot and damn if I was going to leave. So David went off to get a compression bandage and ice and then I proceeded to stand for 90 minutes (all my weight on the other foot at least) and then walk back to the car.

So I go to the doctor and he says "well I have good news...sort of...it's not broken, it's sprained. So you don't have to wear a plaster cast but sprains don't always heal right." And then he proceeds to whip out this GIANT boot (this is the good news???), it looks like I should be auditioning to play a storm trooper in Star Wars!

Three weeks in an aircast, during which I had vacations to NYC and Maui plus Pierogi Fest, three weeks in an ankle cast which I dutifully wore while traipsing around Swizterland, France and Liechtenstein. After 7-8 weeks, it's still swollen but at least I can walk unaided again!

• babybird's Profile Photo

USE COMMON SENSE and you should be fine.

by babybird Updated Aug 29, 2004

I've done a lot of driving and walking in Milwaukee and the same rules apply for this
    city as any other large one. It is a good idea
    to have a good roadmap and plan ahead. The city is actually pretty easy to get around once you know some basics. There is pretty good logic to the series of one-ways downtown. Freeways are often under construction and delays can be long in rush hour traffic as well. If you are looking to head downtown from the west side in the afternoon, you may try what we did and come in on Wisconsin Avenue instead of the freeway. There are surprisingly few traffic lights and the route is pretty safe. I will add
    that at least on Wisconsin Avenue there are times when many intersections will flash a
    "NO LEFT TURN" Sign to keep the flow of traffic going. Know this in advance and you should do ok.

The downtown and riverwalk district is well-lit
    and police presence is strong. I asked
    a local officer about that area and he said
    it's generally pretty safe. If I were a female,
    I'd probably go in a group, but anything south of Juneau always seems decent. North of Juneau the buildings start looking rundown and we noticed enough rough looking characters to not wish to venture further. We spent a good deal of time in the riverwalk and Water Street section on this last
    trip and nothing seemed even remotely out of place. Just the same, I would keep valuables hidden as car break-ins are frequent.
    IT IS A LARGE CITY and serious crime does occur here.. Even in the better sections I wouldn't be stupid and walk around juggling a camera and a fistful of cash with a map in one hand. That would just be inviting trouble. If you have a few "street smarts," you should have a very enjoyable stay.

• liusia's Profile Photo

Dangerous Milwaukee?

by liusia Updated Sep 21, 2006

There's been a lot of conflicting information posted in this section about the dangers of living in Milwaukee. As someone who lives in 53212, the highest crime zip code in Milwaukee - and in Wisconsin - I'd like to share a few pointers.

Milwaukee is one of the largest cities in the US - by some measures, 22nd in population. It's also part of the high population density "megapolis" that rings the lower shores of Lake Michigan, and includes Chicago. So it does have the issues that face any area with lots of highly mobile people crammed into a small space - gangs, property crime, muggings, traffic, etc. However, these problems are generally avoidable by behaving intelligently, and there certainly isn't any anarchy here. These issues shouldn't dissuade anyone from coming to the city, nor should you feel unsafe, as long as you show a bit of common sense.

Basically, don't tempt potential criminals. Don't leave doors unlocked or windows open. Don't park in dimly lit streets or alleys. Don't leave belonging visible on the seats or floor of your car. Don't wear flashy jewlery or walk around rougher neighborhoods wearing obviously expensive clothing. Don't walk the streets after dark alone, or drunk.

My own neighborhood, where I live and work, is pretty rough. There are definitely a few drug dens, which leads to property crime (people will do anything for a fix, sometimes). But during the day in good weather, it's not at all dangerous to walk around. After dark, you drive - with your doors locked. It's as simple as that.

Basically, be aware of your surroundings, and be cautious. Be ALERT, but there's no reason to be AFRAID. Yes, there's crime. No, you're not randomly going to be beaten or shot in the street.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Another perspective on crime in Milwaukee

by svicious Written Sep 8, 2006

I lived in Milwaukee (city, not suburbs) for over 20 years and moved away approximately 10 years ago. I still visit frequently and know the city well. I have to say it's always been sketchy if not downright bad in some neighborhoods but is very clearly trending for the worse. 25 years ago the "bad areas" were confined to a large part of the North Side and a much smaller part of the near South Side. Since that time the Northwest side (a very large area) has declined rapidly, portions of the East side (generally the nicest part of town) have declined and the "bad area" on the South Side has expanded both Southward and Westward. Some areas have indeed progressed (Brewers Hill and the area betwen it and the Milwaukee River, the area around Conordia College) but they are overwhelmed by those that have slid toward the undesirable.

Property crime (burglaries, auto breakins in particular as I personally had my car broken into at least ten times in as many years) has always been quite prevalent but violent crime used to be a relative rarity and mostly gang related and confined to known "bad areas". This no longer seems to be the case. The city is gaining a reputation for mob beatings. There were 28 people shot in one recent holiday weekend. I personally had a brick thrown at my car recently out of nowhere by a couple of thugs. Having said that, most any area a visitor would actually care to see (Downtown, East side, pretty much any burb, most of the Southside) are all decent and desirable areas to visit and the city has a lot going for it.

• Dani91's Profile Photo

Milwaukee Is Safe

by Dani91 Written Jan 1, 2008

I live near Milwaukee and don't be fooled by the bad remarks made about it. Yes, there is crime, but so does every city, no matter how large it is. If you are smart about your actions, then you wont have any problems. There are bad parts of town, but no town is exempt from that, Milwaukee included. Just be aware of your surroundings and use the same common sense you would use in any other big city. As for the comment about Mayfair (which is in Wauwatosa, outside of Milwaukee) there have been problems in the past but there have been improvements (i.e. restriction of unaccompanied minors at night on the weekends) and all of the past problems occured later at night. I have never felt threatened or unsafe in Milwaukee. If you are a tourist, the "bad parts" arent anywhere where you would be anyways so dont fear.

• Not That Bad

by Graveyard_Plume Written Mar 31, 2004

I've lived in the suburbs of Milwaukee my entire life and within the city limits of Milwaukee for the past 5 years. I have never seen a crime take place. I've never had a crime happen to me or anyone I know with one exception - a friend recently had her wallet stolen at La Fuente, a local Mexican restaurant. Yes, there are areas of the city that are high crime areas; every city has them. But they certainly aren't going to be the areas you'll be vacationing in. And no, we do not have 3 shootings a day, even in the really bad areas.

It is common sense to use the buddy system no matter where you are. So when out at night have at least one other person with you.

Also, downtown Milwaukee is very well lit at night.

• debrajeandaria's Profile Photo

crazy racist white lady

by debrajeandaria Written Jan 10, 2005

Don't listen to the woman who says not to go to mayfair mall! It is the nicest mall in the city! I see she did not leave a name or email address so we can comment to her! What the hell would she know about Gang activity? Please. I think she is just scared of Black People.

• raquelita1984's Profile Photo

Segregated City

by raquelita1984 Written Jul 3, 2012

Plain and simple, the Northwest side of Milwaukee is where you do not want to visit (day or night). It extends pretty much in the section West of I43 and North of I94. Marquette area is OK, can be slightly sketchy at night, so just travel in groups. The south side (South of I94, western side of I43), can be very sketchy too, but I have no problem riding my bike there during the day. Downtown and areas east along the lake are the safest parts of the city. Use your best judgement, it's overall a pretty safe city.

Instant Answers: Milwaukee

• Feb 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Write your comment...

• Feb 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks.. what FORUM would you suggst?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Feb 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

On the list over on the top left of the page the bottom link is for forums, post there in the Milwaukee forum :-)

• Dec 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I am planning to take a short trip to Milwaukee. I would arrive at the airport on a January day, take a rental or hotel shuttle to Hilton by West Michigan street, attend to a concert at Riverside, head back to hotel and then take a flight back home to NYC next day.
    I just wanted to know what I would encounter during this trip? Is it totally safe around the venue? I see that it looks like a very nice town from google street view, but I really cannot tell since we also have pretty cool nice looking towns in NYC and NJ but it is actually a make up to cover the crap that's going on in the area. Also google maps show pretty classy places around there. Any feedback or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a walk in the area to see some restaurants, etc..

• Nov 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Consider this a very balanced view of Milwaukee as I've traveled a lot. Lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Boston. . Downtown Milwaukee is great place to visit and so beautiful on the lake front. Million dollar "gold coast" type condo buildings, University Club, Art Museum, Discovery World, Children's Museum and really nice hotels. Lovely running paths and beaches along the lake. Great restaurants downtown (Rock Bottom, etc) and along Water street, (Visit Harbor House restaurant on the water front by Discovery Museum and you'll take in the whole city.) The whole area around downtown and east of Hwy 43 (with exception of area around University of WIsconsin Milwaukee) is very nice all the way up the lakefront to Door County which is a good 120 miles of lake shore frontage. Third Ward is revitalized warehouse district (with Lululemon, Anthropoligie, Spas, Starbucks, Microbreweries, etc. ) great area just south of I94 downtown, Summerfest is amazing and all the lake front festivals all year around. The Milwaukee Brewer games are great and can't miss tailgating. (Will admit that most of these venues are pretty 'white Milwaukeens" as Milwaukee is segrated for sure. Love to see nice black families enjoying these events, but don't see it enough. All areas are really safe and great for outdoor events biking, etc. Bayshore Mall in Whitefish Bay is really nice new concept area with Cheesecake Factory and every store imaginable...looks like downtown City Place in Palm Beach. Shopping downtown is not great which is too bad, so head to these areas, or Brady Street or Third Ward.. Grand Avenue just doesn't have the vibrant stores of the past.. Boston Store anchors it, and a TJ Maxx...but gone are the Laura Ashleys, and really nicer bookstores, etc. So head to the suburban malls. And yes, Mayfair Mall is really nice to visit...they cleaned up the 'Youth Congregation" problem when they put in a over 16 rule requiring a adult guardian, and added Cheesecake Factory, Maggianos, McCormick & Smidts, big Crate & Barrel out front...so black youth can't hang in the common areas without a purpose anymore.

Here are the areas to be careful of...just west of University of Milwaukee is still a pocket of crime and ghettoish housing. Some revitalization along RiverWest is helping. Marquette University is a really nice campus and has their sports fields on the south side of I94 near Potawanamie Casino, which eventually melds into the Third Ward, so just fine. Marquette tries to keep their campus safe for their students, but they do border on areas which run into the ghetto areas. Also any area North of "North Avenue" and" South of Brown Deer Road" needs your radar up. This would be considered the "ghetto" of Milwaukee. The worst area being west of 20th street, just south of Capital Drive and Teutonia. Really there is just no reason to venture into these areas as there is no reason to go to most rough areas of a city. But, I always say there are a lot of really great hard working black families living in these areas that also want to keep there areas safe for their children, so hope for the best. To get to downtown Milwaukee from the suburbs you often need to take Capitol Drive or Silver Spring or Good Hope route and you'll drive thru some seedy areas, but not violent during day...been to much worse ghetto drive routes in Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philly. Some areas North of Mitchell Airport and also south of Third Wardin Milwaukee can be a little gang related, but then again there are some amazing ethnic Spanish/Mexican restaurants in these areas.

The west suburbs (starting with Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Pewaukee have great lifestyle and lake living), and Southwest like Greenfield are all very nice, and even drive the 70 miles to visit Madison and the University of Wisconsin campus. Northern suburbs of Milwaukee are all really nice...Fox Point Mequon, Cedarburg (really cool), Germantown, Thiensville, etc.

Venturing down to Racine and Kenosha requires some research as there are some rough patches in these cities as you get to the Chicago northern suburbs which are nice. Lake Geneva area is about 35 minutes from Milwaukee and is really cool.

Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Milwaukee warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Milwaukee sightseeing.