Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

by tetonski1

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee

• Milwaukee & West Allis

by Boo_radley414 Written Oct 2, 2013

Milwaukee is dangerous. North side, east side, west side, south side, all dangerous. I'd highly advise you to stay off of the north side. This includes streets such as Capitol, Center, Burleigh, North, Vine, Locust, and Vliet. The south side is dangerous but not as dangerous as the north. The south side includes streets such as Lincoln, Burnham, Becher, and Muskego. West Milwaukee is dangerous around 50-59th and Greenfield. West Allis isn't part of Milwaukee city, but it's an area with a reputation of a safe area. Don't believe this. Areas such as 76th street, 71st street, and Becher street are all sketchy. Long story short, Milwaukee is dangerous all over and so is it's neighboring city West Allis.

• Business Travel
    • Adventure Travel

• There are problems all over but not as bad

by espygang Written Aug 1, 2005

Before I let on my trip to milwaukee last week.
    I read some of the warnings. After I got there I found some to be overblown . My wife and i stayed in south Milwaukee near the airport.
    We were told by another traveler at the hotel not you use any side streets in the city. only use the highways to get to where we had to go. My wife trusts what she calls my sixsence
    about bad areas. so I did not take the advice of that traveler and took back streets to where
    we had to go. and as you guessed nothing happened. the only area we were told not to go was the north west area of Milwaukee from a worker at the Cheese mart on old world 3rd. Every were you go in every city there are problems. The best way to find out where not to go is to talk to people that live or work in the area your at and also trust your own feelings. first golden rule is "IF IT DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT TURN AROUND UNTIL IT DOES".

• typical warnings

by LaFreakEgurL Written Aug 15, 2005

downtown Milwaukee at night is an average metro city... if you are a woman DO NOT walk the streets of downtown alone!! I made the mistake of doing this ONCE and I was harrassed by a bunch of men in a van that wanted to give me a ride..

but even during the day time you will find your occasional nuts.

there are pockets, or bubbles, of really nice neighborhoods, and really scary neighborhoods, the funniest thing is that you can be driving down a straight road, 12 blocks, nice, 12 blocks, ghetto, 10 blocks, rich neighborhood, 9 blocks white trash... It is the weirdest thing that I have EVER seen in my life.. if you ever want to experience this take Wisconsin Avenue, starting in downtown around 2nd or 3rd street traveling west you will drive through 500,000.00 home neighborhoods, then into a very Ghetto, and scary neighborhood, then into a 250,000.00 home neighborhood, etc. it really is trippy to see the dramatic changes.

• Crime Warning

by svicious22 Written May 17, 2003

Milwaukee doesn't have all that much violent crime, during the day, it's generally a very safe city and even at night it's no worse than average for personal safety. However, there is quite a bit of property crime. Vehicles are broken into quite often. This is true in many areas of the city, so choose your parking arrangements carefully.

• milwkath's Profile Photo

Tried of the put down

by milwkath Updated Jul 13, 2011

I am 65 years young and have lived all my life in this city. I have traveld around the US and the world.
    As for Milwaukee, in caparison to many other city's we are agreat city. Grant you parts of the city have sadly declined from what I once knew it to be due to gangs. But then you show me any big city that does not have this problme. I have been to other state Which are far wrost then ours. As a few others on here have said. You use common seance and do not go into parts of town that are bad. If unsure you ask were to go or not to. Dont walk around late at night as even in the best part of ANY town you can get robbed. Yes if you walk around with money hanging out of your pockets your asking for it.

It is sad that people frist hear the bad things about a place rater then the good. I do get upset with our city as it does not point out more of what a wonderful old city this is.

The people here are nice friendly people and there is good and bad all over.
    Come and enjoyed the wonderful food, fun and grand places to see.

• kandon06's Profile Photo

Milwaukee is safe, as long as you know how to act.

by kandon06 Written Sep 6, 2013

I lived on 67th and Silver Spring for 6 years with two little kids, right across the street from the city's "most dangerous" projects. I was the only white girl within probably a 5 mile radius. Aside from a couple incidents with people trying to break into my house, and seeing someone get stabbed in the alley behind my house and being followed in the alley ONCE (nothing happened) it was o.k. As long as you mind your own business, people will leave you alone. That goes for most of the north side. It might look a little rundown in places, you may see some bums. For the most part, Milwaukee is safe. If you're on the far south side by the airport, no worries. Suburbs are generally safe. The only part of the city you really have to worry about (in my experience) is the south side, the Lincoln/Mitchell St. area in the lower numbers (27th St. on down to Kinnikinnic). Even there, as long as you don't act like an idiot you're pretty much safe.If you're still worried, stick to the freeways and off the surface streets and you will be JUST FINE.

THIS BEING SAID:

I love Milwaukee, it's the only place I've ever really felt at home. So much to do, so much to see. Good people with mid-western values. When I go back to visit, the smell of hops from the Miller brewery almost brings me to tears. If I had the chance, I'd move back in a heartbeat. Please visit the city! I think you will love it too!

• Mayfair Mall

by kippy5 Written May 11, 2006

DO NOT listen to the comment about Mayfair Mall. Someone in a previous post said the security guards turn their heads during all of the rowdy activities described; I haven't ever seen a security guard not doing his/her job. I work at the mall and I have never had any problems with anyone. Yes, there have been incidents at the movie theater, but that doesn't deter me from going to movies there. However, maybe a closed-minded person like whoever left that comment shouldn't be allowed to go to the mall!

• Milwaukee is NOT a bad place

by nowski Written Sep 17, 2005

I have lived in Milwaukee for 27 years. I just got done reading about all the dangers of the area. What a load of bull!

Milwaukee just like any other major city has it's bad areas. The crime rate is not anywhere near as bad as all these other tips make it sound to be.

Get your radio stole? Yeah it's possible. But unless your driving in a bad neighbor hood like the Northside, parts of the East side and parts of Downtown you have next to nothing to worry about. Nothing more to worry about then any other major city.

• Milwaukee

by Gamay9 Written Nov 6, 2009

I lived in Milwaukee the first 35 years of my life. The early years were in what was an old German neighborhood, but I was three when we moved to the far outskirts and the old neighborhood was, for years, a slum. The area was made into public housing but is still dangerous for outsiders and insiders.

The city is ranked 2nd amongst all large US cities in safety. Only Minneapolis ranks higher. This is because the crime rate has been reduced dramatically. It started about the time I left, but I'm an 'Innocent Man' (Billy Joel). There used to be a lot of young black-on-elderly white crime. That's gone. The only issue now is black-on-black, gang related crime.

The downtown and near east side is beautiful , clean and safe.

I lived there for 35 years, went into some of the really tough neighborhoods and never got into a scrape.

Milwaukee is a very under-rated city and doesn't get the exposure it deserves, despite the fact that it has major sports, lots of events, great zoo and has retained the old world charm like many European cities, with tall church spires and refurbished mansions and other historic buildings.

The ultimate hotel is the Pfister, but the rates have sky-rocketed. When I visit, I stay at the Astor, Knickerbocker or County Clare, all within a block of each other. The County Clare is a newer hotel with Irish motiff and attached Irish restaurant. These three hotels are right off Lake Michigan on a bluff overlooking a beach and marina, smack in the center of 'east towne,' near downtown and the art center/Calatrava. The neighborhood is safe and very chic.

• Zoo
    • Museum Visits

• Watch out for robbers

by pumpkin915 Written Apr 16, 2003

Don't be by yourself in Milwaukee at night and for the women, I would make sure there were at least 3 of us together, even then I wouldn't feel that safe. It is good to have at least one guy with you if you out cruising at night.

• A LITTLE SCARY!!

by jeflepard Written Sep 6, 2007

MILWAUKEE IS A CRAZY LITTLE PLACE. I"VE LIVED IN BERLIN GERMANY, CHICAGO ILL, PHOENIX AZ, AND NOW IN LAS VEGAS NV. I"VE GOT TO SAY,... I"VE GOTTEN MYSELF INTO MORE TROUBLE IN THE MIL-TOWN THAN ANYWHERE ELSE. I"M NOT SURE IF ITS THE COLD OR THE PEOPLE.. MY OLD MY BEST FRIEND KILLED (STRANGLED) HIS GIRL FRIEND, KILLED HER..AND NOW IS SITTING ANOTHER 8 YEARS.. WE WERE NORMAL KIDS GROWING UP SKATEBOARDING, DRINKING 40'S AND SMOKIN GRASS (MARIJUANA) AND LISTENING TO HIP-HOP AND FREESTYLIN IN THE BASEMENT.. I STARTED SLANGING TREES (MARIJUANA) AND HUSTING TO SURVIVE (SELLING 24-7) I DONT KNOW WHAT GOT INTO ME BUT I GOT BUSTED. MY HOUSE GOT RAIDED ON THE SOUTH-SIDE (MITCHELL AREA) AND LUCKILY I HAD NOTHING. THEY DIDNT CATCH ME.. ENDED UP WITH A DEAD IGUANA AND A MESSY HOUSE. BOY.. DID THAT PLACE TEACH ME A LESSON.. I"VE CLEANED UP MY ACT AND NOW AM STILL.. STRUGGLING IN VEGAS BUT HEY.. I"M NOT IN MILWAUKEE ANYMORE.. IF I WAS I PROB WOULD HAVE ENDED UP IN JAIL WITH MY FRIEND FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER... I"VE LEARNED MY LESSON....

• The Hot Spots

by MKEcitizen1986 Written Mar 24, 2014

Milwaukee demographics are unique because it is still very racially seperated in residential neighborhoods but has a distinct core and what some people call ghetto pockets further out. This is for the City proper, not the county as a whole. Most of the suburbs of Milwaukee are as a whole pretty decent, or not nearly as bad as the City itself. Basicly stay East of Interstate 43, that is where most of the attractions and events take place anyhow and usually has a significant police presence to deter crime. Once you get off the freeway and go into the City west of I-43 you will be in for surprise. Use the freeway to get to out lying attractions it is the safest. The city government police website actually does a good job showing you where crime is most frequent

• Motorcycle
    • Business Travel

• Milwaukee has some bad spots but overall its good

by MilwaukeeCitizen Written Apr 19, 2014

The only area I advise to stay away from is the Inner city Northside. Streets like Locust and Center are Milwaukee's worst streets. However 98% of crime in Milwaukee according to police data has a targeted victim that they knew prior to the crime. Very few crimes are committed in the day and the majority are at night. Whoever is saying that West Allis is dangerous they are truly ignorant, West Allis is very safe and the only crimes that occur are graffiti. Milwaukee is one of those cities where if you keep your nose clean you will be safe.

Instant Answers: Milwaukee

• Feb 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Write your comment...

• Feb 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks.. what FORUM would you suggst?

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Feb 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

On the list over on the top left of the page the bottom link is for forums, post there in the Milwaukee forum :-)

• Dec 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I am planning to take a short trip to Milwaukee. I would arrive at the airport on a January day, take a rental or hotel shuttle to Hilton by West Michigan street, attend to a concert at Riverside, head back to hotel and then take a flight back home to NYC next day.
    I just wanted to know what I would encounter during this trip? Is it totally safe around the venue? I see that it looks like a very nice town from google street view, but I really cannot tell since we also have pretty cool nice looking towns in NYC and NJ but it is actually a make up to cover the crap that's going on in the area. Also google maps show pretty classy places around there. Any feedback or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a walk in the area to see some restaurants, etc..

• Nov 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Consider this a very balanced view of Milwaukee as I've traveled a lot. Lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Boston. . Downtown Milwaukee is great place to visit and so beautiful on the lake front. Million dollar "gold coast" type condo buildings, University Club, Art Museum, Discovery World, Children's Museum and really nice hotels. Lovely running paths and beaches along the lake. Great restaurants downtown (Rock Bottom, etc) and along Water street, (Visit Harbor House restaurant on the water front by Discovery Museum and you'll take in the whole city.) The whole area around downtown and east of Hwy 43 (with exception of area around University of WIsconsin Milwaukee) is very nice all the way up the lakefront to Door County which is a good 120 miles of lake shore frontage. Third Ward is revitalized warehouse district (with Lululemon, Anthropoligie, Spas, Starbucks, Microbreweries, etc. ) great area just south of I94 downtown, Summerfest is amazing and all the lake front festivals all year around. The Milwaukee Brewer games are great and can't miss tailgating. (Will admit that most of these venues are pretty 'white Milwaukeens" as Milwaukee is segrated for sure. Love to see nice black families enjoying these events, but don't see it enough. All areas are really safe and great for outdoor events biking, etc. Bayshore Mall in Whitefish Bay is really nice new concept area with Cheesecake Factory and every store imaginable...looks like downtown City Place in Palm Beach. Shopping downtown is not great which is too bad, so head to these areas, or Brady Street or Third Ward.. Grand Avenue just doesn't have the vibrant stores of the past.. Boston Store anchors it, and a TJ Maxx...but gone are the Laura Ashleys, and really nicer bookstores, etc. So head to the suburban malls. And yes, Mayfair Mall is really nice to visit...they cleaned up the 'Youth Congregation" problem when they put in a over 16 rule requiring a adult guardian, and added Cheesecake Factory, Maggianos, McCormick & Smidts, big Crate & Barrel out front...so black youth can't hang in the common areas without a purpose anymore.

Here are the areas to be careful of...just west of University of Milwaukee is still a pocket of crime and ghettoish housing. Some revitalization along RiverWest is helping. Marquette University is a really nice campus and has their sports fields on the south side of I94 near Potawanamie Casino, which eventually melds into the Third Ward, so just fine. Marquette tries to keep their campus safe for their students, but they do border on areas which run into the ghetto areas. Also any area North of "North Avenue" and" South of Brown Deer Road" needs your radar up. This would be considered the "ghetto" of Milwaukee. The worst area being west of 20th street, just south of Capital Drive and Teutonia. Really there is just no reason to venture into these areas as there is no reason to go to most rough areas of a city. But, I always say there are a lot of really great hard working black families living in these areas that also want to keep there areas safe for their children, so hope for the best. To get to downtown Milwaukee from the suburbs you often need to take Capitol Drive or Silver Spring or Good Hope route and you'll drive thru some seedy areas, but not violent during day...been to much worse ghetto drive routes in Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philly. Some areas North of Mitchell Airport and also south of Third Wardin Milwaukee can be a little gang related, but then again there are some amazing ethnic Spanish/Mexican restaurants in these areas.

The west suburbs (starting with Wauwatosa, Brookfield, Pewaukee have great lifestyle and lake living), and Southwest like Greenfield are all very nice, and even drive the 70 miles to visit Madison and the University of Wisconsin campus. Northern suburbs of Milwaukee are all really nice...Fox Point Mequon, Cedarburg (really cool), Germantown, Thiensville, etc.

Venturing down to Racine and Kenosha requires some research as there are some rough patches in these cities as you get to the Chicago northern suburbs which are nice. Lake Geneva area is about 35 minutes from Milwaukee and is really cool.

Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Milwaukee warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Milwaukee sightseeing.