Monroe Travel Guide

Hard working Cow
    Beware, Limburger Ahead

Monroe Things to Do

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Jul 10, 2005

Located on 7th Avenue in Monroe, the Historic Cheese Making Center sits in the old Railroad station.

The Museum covers the history of cheese making and includes lots of equipment used to make different types of cheese. There's also a hand cranked butter churn on display. It's a small stop that will take around 30 minutes to see completely. They have a gift shop and some really nice workers who are happy to share history with you.

Their hours vary, especially in the winter. If you want to vist, call before going. They are open daily though in the summer months.

See how Cheese is made...

by MatthewMetcalfe Updated Jul 9, 2005

This is the second oldest continually running brewery in the United States. The primary beers brewed here are sold under the brands Huber and Berghoff.

Although the Brewery is relatively small, the tour we took lasted over an hour and was one of the best brewery tours I've been on. In addition to covering the brewing process from beginning to end, the tour also covered the packaging process for the beers including Kegging, Canning, and Bottling. Lucky for us they were bottling on this day so we got to see the line in Production.

They also brew Sodas (They call it Pop!) and the tour will include the soda making process as well. It's a real small operation but the scent of Root Beer was pervasive!

The tour ends in the sampling area where you can sample a variety of their beers and sodas. Tours are run Thursday-Saturday at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00. They recommend calling ahead for directions. The tour guide said they like to keep the group to about 10 people but there were almost 20 in ours so it's best to book a reservation to save your slot. A tour with a sampling of beer cost us $2.00. What a bargain!

Old Style Kegs from the Kegging Cellar.
    • Beer Tasting

• Monroe Hotels

3 Hotels in Monroe

Monroe Hotels

Monroe Restaurants

by MatthewMetcalfe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Baumgartner's has been around since 1931 and they are the oldest Cheese Store in Wisconsin. It's more of a pub that sells cheese. They offer a simple fare of Pub food that consists primarily of Cheese Sandwiches made with your choice of cheese.

In the front of the restaurant is a Cheese shop where you can take some with you as well as some seating for the restaurant. In the back is more seating as well as the bar area. Berghoff's flows liberally here and the brewery is within walking distance from the restaurant.

Overhead you may see Dollar bills pinned to the ceiling which is probably 15 or 20 feet high. I won't tell you how they get up there, you'll have to go yourself and give them a dollar for the ceiling to find out. Ok, if you really want to know and can't make it, shoot me an email.

This place was also the scene of me trying something horrible: Limburger Cheese. I've never seen it before, luckily I'll smell it coming next time.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the (small) cheese plate. It was four slices of cheese and four pieces of Salami. The Cheese was American, Swiss, and Brick and they were thick slices. It's more of an appetizer for several people I believe. The Brick is a real mild cheese that is semi-soft and out of this world! I've checked locally in Atlanta and haven't found it (yet). Luckily I brought some home to hold me over until I do find it.

Oldest Cheese Store in Wisconsin.

Monroe Favorites

• hunterV's Profile Photo

by hunterV Updated Oct 30, 2011

Favorite thing: I remember walking downtown and enjoying the sights, especially the Courthouse building.
    (oops, something happened to my film here...)

Fondest memory: visiting the Swiss bar with my host family.

Inside the Swiss Bar
    • Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Monroe

Comments

Monroe Travel Guide
Map of Monroe