Places to eat in Wisconsin

This was an actual greenhouse in Europe
  • Restaurants
  • Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Wisconsin

• deecat's Profile Photo

The .300 Club at Miller Park in Milwaukee: For Exclusive Dining at a Ball Park...

by deecat Updated Jun 21, 2005

Allan was given great tickets for June 20, 2005, at Miller Ball Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and with these great tickets, he also received tickets to eat at the .300 Club.
    We had four tickets, and Jill and Eric were supposed to go with us as they did last year. However, since Jill just had a baby (Sabrina Dee) on June 11, they could not attend. Instead, we went alone and sold (for face value of $32.00 each) the remaining two tickets.

We had reservations for the .300 Club, which is a real "must". We had to take the elevator there. You can use the elevator without showing the special tickets because the .300 Club is open to members and their guests only. You have to show a valid membership card or a Guest Pass. They also have a dress code. (no shorts, tank tops, etc.)

They have an upscale bar area, and the fining portion is tiered, and we sat on the lowest tier next to the windows that look out over the ballpark.

It is always a Buffet Style dining. There are fresh flowers on the table with white cloth table coverings and cloth napkins. Our waiter was quite friendly and efficient.

Favorite Dish: Each night they have a different menu. While we were there, the menu was:
    Alaskan Crab Legs, Beef Tenderloin, Pork Roast, Chicken with Salsa, Green Beans, Potatoes, all kinds of salads, about ten different kinds of breads and rolls, several styles of butter, and tempting desserts.

I ate mixed salad with peppers, carrots, tomatoes, celery and chose Dill dressing. I had a multi-grain roll with butter. In addition, I had a cheese/meat plate with three kinds of cheeses and I chose salami as the meat. I also had fresh fruit: strawberries, melon, fresh pineapple, and kiwi.

For the main meal, I ate about four slices of the beef tenderloin (very small slices), one slice of pork, and one small chicken salsa breast.

I had a Reisling Wine with the dinner. For dessert, I had Chocolate Nut Torte , and Allan had Door County Cherry/Sour Cream Pie With a Rich Graham Cracker Crust. We also had coffee and after-dinner drinks. My drink was my all-time favorite, Kalua and Cream.

Needless to say, it was a fantastic meal. We came at about 5:15 and stayed until about 7:45 so we watched part of the game from the restaurant.

• deecat's Profile Photo

The American Club In Kohler, Wisconsin: The Choices Are Limitless at the Restaurants of

by deecat Updated Sep 24, 2004

The American Club Resort has truly magnificent restaurants. Since the original hotel was for immigrants, most of the chefs have been immigrants or sons/daughters of immigrants.
    Here is a synopsis of the Nine different Places to Eat:

The Immigrant This is their most formal restaurant and is made up of six rooms of England, Scandinavia, France, Germany, and Holland. It salutes the heritage of all the immigrants who left their homes to come to America. The rooms mimic the particular country. The food is extraordinary and will exceed what you expect.

The Wisconsin Room is probably the most famous room because it is where the first immigrants were served their meals. It is where breakfast is served for the hotel's guests. Stained glass windows, dark Oak panels, brass chandeliers, fresh flowers, and "beyond reproach" service makes this a very special place to eat.

The Horse & Plow is an informal eating place with robust fare. It's good American farmhouse food. They offer a dozen lagers & ales on tap and many more by bottle as well as the Wisconsin micro-breweries available.

The Greenhouse (See Hotel tip for detailed account.) It is a stained glass that looks like a greenhouse that serves only desserts.

Favorite Dish: River Wildlife is a restaurant for people who love adventure and are not afraid to try new cuisines. Wild game, traditional dishes fixed in new ways, and old favorites presented with an unforgettable flare.

CucinaLuscious, earthy recipes of Italy are served here. The room is round with columns, modern lighting, and huge windows. Outstanding food.

Blackwolf Run famous for their log and stone porch and veranda dining that looks down upon the winding Sheboygan River Valley. It is located at the Golf Course. There is a massive fieldstone fireplace and hearty meals.

The Lean Bean This eating place is located at the heart of the health and fitness center, Sports Core. It serves wholesome foods and healthful preparations, but they do serve desserts!
    Note: in summer the Marine Bean is available. It is a dining raft that floats on Wood Lake.
    In Winter The Lean Bean Restaurant has a big fireplace and windows with a view of Wood Lake and of the indoor pool.

Atrium Cafe at Woodlake Market This is a New York-style deli, a bakery, and a salad and hot food buffet restaurant. There is a spectacular circular skylight that is quite unique. It is open 24 hours a day.

Regardless of where you eat, you will be charmed by the environment, enticed by the cuisine, and impressed by the service!

• Luxury Travel

Ray Radigans: Seventy Two Years of Good Food and Hospitality

by deecat Updated Feb 1, 2005

The photo is of three of my four friends, Mickey, Deb, and Jill; Marcia never wants her photo shown PLEASE CLICK PHOTO

Just over the Illinois border in Wisconsin, you'll find a family-owned, old-time restaurant called Ray Radigans. The first Ray Radigans was started in a four-room cottage in 1933, and it still exists one-half mile south of its present location.
    For all these years, a one-word philosophy has sustained the restaurant, and that word is quality.
    Just before Christmas of 2004, I went there with four of my teacher friends to celebrate the holidays. What a great choice it was.
    It was brightly decorated, which added to the holiday ambience. After the meal was over, we all agreed that the food was outstanding, the service was excellent, and the environment was cozy and warm on that cold December night.
    They offer such favorites as Baby Back Ribs, Double Lamb Chops, Fresh New Zealand Rack of Lamb, Prime Tenderlin Steak, Ray's Internationally Famous T-Bone Steak (28 ounces of Prime blue ribbon stter), Lobster Thermidor, Lobster Tail, Shrimp, Sea Scallops, Sauteed Sole Almondine, and a wide array of sandwiches and salads plus quite an assortment of appetizers.
    There's a huge bar, which was jam-packed on that evening. Several rooms make up this fine old restaurant, which gives it a feeling of eating at home.

Favorite Dish: had the Appetizer portion of Shrimp DeJonghe" (Texas Gulf shrimp in a special marriage of garlic, butter, chives, and sherry, baked golden brown and served encasserole). The shrimp was large, firm, and tender with just the right amounts of garlic and sherry. I also had a salad with delicious home-made blue cheese dressing. The fresh hot dinner rolls were outstanding.
    My friend Marcia ordered the Baked Stuffed Eggplant that was finished with marinara and fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, which she raved about. Debbie, another friend, really enjoyed her fish entree.
    All-in-all, it was a rewarding dinner with good friends, delicious cuisine, and old fashioned quality service.

Celia: Pfister Hotel's Signature Restaurant

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Pfister Hotel's fine dining restaurant, Celia, advertises that they have "New York Style with the edge of SanFrancisco, in the heart of Milwaukee." It is honest advertising.
    The Chef is Jovan Djokovic, and he serves New American Cusine which features seafood, chops, game, steaks, and salads. He is most famous for the amazing desserts.
    It is one of only two AAA Four-Diamond restaurants in Milwaukee. In addition, it has earned a Wine Spectator award for its wine list. (500 choices!!)

Favorite Dish: The very best at Celia is to reserve a place at Celia's "Kitchen Table" which features a seven-course menu that is the Chef's choices. It is an experience to remember.
    Regardless of what you do, you MUST make reservations.
    It is closed on Sundays and only opened for dinners Monday through Saturday from five to ten.
    You are able to make reservations online or by phone.

Polaris: Revolving Rooftop Restaurant

by deecat Written Sep 8, 2004

Atop the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee, you can enjoy the only revolving rooftop restaurant in the state of Wisconsin. What a deal it is...you can see amazing sunsets or the entire skyline of Milwaukee while you eat delicious food and drink wonderful wine!
    The restaurant advertises it's cuisine as "mid-western". I describe it simply as good American food, especially the desserts!
    You can have cocktails starting at 4:00 pm and dinner from 5-11:00 pm on Monday through Sunday evenings. Also, there is a great Brunch on Sunday from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm.
    I loved the white linen tableclothes, tall-backed black-laquered chairs, the breathtaking view that revolved very slowly.
    A warning: Be careful when you rise up from your chair, you may be a little light headed (not from the drink) from the slow rotation!

Favorite Dish: Allan loved the Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb, and I loved the Gorgonzo Glazed Filet of Beef. All entrees are served with a delicious Caesar Salad. We also shared the seafood cocktail for two. Best of all, however, was the "Mile High Mud Pie".

• deecat's Profile Photo

Morton's, Tomaso's Italian, Amy's Candy, Maxwell's: Places to Eat in Cedarburg...

by deecat Updated Sep 9, 2004

All of our eating experiences in Cedarburg were positive.
    1.Amy's Candy Kitchen
    W62 N579 Washington Avenue
    800/513-8889 & 262/376-0884
    Homemade Belgian chocolates, English toffee fudge, almond bark, Caramel Apples, and Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
    All products are made from scratch using old world copper kettles and marble tables. Free samples and gift boxes. We had the best Dark Chocolate & White Chocolate Caramel Apple with Pecans..huge..two desserts for the three of us!

2. Morton's Wisconsin Inn
    N56 W6339 Center Street
    Tavern dining in the Wisconsin tradition. We had drinks, shredded pork sandwiches, onion rings, salad, and soup. Delicious.

3. Tomaso's Italian American Restaurant
    W63 N688 Washington Avenue

Milwaukee Magazine's #1 Choice for pizza. Allan walked there from our B&B and brought it back to the room. It was a large, thin pizza with mushrooms and onions, and it was fantastic! (Been in business 26 years)

4. Maxwell's Bar & Restaurant
    Washington Avenue
    Jill had soup and salad. Allan had beer, and I had a cola. It was good; typical Wisconsin bar and grill.

Favorite Dish: The two best foods we had were the Shredded Pork Sandwich
    and
    the thin Mushroom and onion Pizza.

These food items were outstanding. The rest were also very good.
    Cedarburg is a great place for eating!!!

• Beer Tasting

• deecat's Profile Photo

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant: Goats Perch on the Sod Roof...

by deecat Updated Sep 18, 2004

Whenever we visit Door County, we make it a point to eat at least once at the busy Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurantin Sister Bay, Wisconsin. My husband, Allan Johnson is Swedish and cannot resist eating at a Swedish Restaurant that is his namesake.

Thus, in the photograph that I took way back in the late 1960's, you will see my Allan Johnson pointing to the wooden sign for Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant!

It's a fun place to go for several reasons. First of all, the restaurant is a log cabin; secondly, there are goats perched on the sod roof who are munching on the grass. Next, the Scandinavian garb that the waitresses wear is worth seeing. In addition, the limpa bread & Swedish pancakes with lingonberries are sensational!

For all these good qualities, there is one big problem: You have to wait quite a long time before you are seated. Because this is the most famous restaurant in Door County, it is extraordinarily busy. Yet, the wait is worth it. And, while you wait, you can visit their fantastic onsite gift shop that carries wonderful imported gifts from Sweden.

Favorite Dish: We love the Swedish pancakes (whisper thin and, oh, so light) with lingonberries. We also love the limpa bread ( a moist rye bread with orange peel and anise) and the Swedish meatballs

It's a huge menu (some of that time you have to wait could be spent going over the menu!)
    I'm sure that you will find something such as white fish, salads, and numerous standard Swedish specialties.

Go for the adventure; if you have children, take them too because they love the goats.

Timbers Restaurant and Lounge: Old Fashioned Supper Club

by deecat Updated Jun 28, 2007

This first portion is written by my travel partner, Jill Martin

While in Platteville, Wilsconsin searching for quilt fabric, Dee and I went to lunch at THE TIMBERS, a long-time landmark restaurant there. I remembered the name of THE TIMBERS because a friend, now over 50, once waitressed there during college; in fact, her mother was a hostess there also.

The Timbers, perhaps named for the large wooden beams supporting the roof, seems, with good reason, to still be a favorite of local residents. The service and food were very good and the atmosphere friendly.

The most outgoing hostess invited us to taste the Roast Pork Loin Soup [although it was not included in our salad choices]. It was delicious.

The whole supr-of-the moment experience was delightful.

Dee's note: I especially enjoyed the cedar and glass everywhere as well as the massive fieldstone fireplace and the many pianos and the white organ.

Favorite Dish: Besides the delicious soup, Jill enjoyed an exotic "Wrap" pictured in Photograph #1, and I especially loved the salad that is pictured in Photograph #2.

The waitress tried to tempt us with an array of delicious-sounding desserts, but we were way too full to even share one.
    Examples are the cheesecakes such as Jack Daniels, Neapolitan, and White Chocolate Macadamia nut.

As Photo #3 reveals, this is a place with music as well as food. There is live jazz on Thursday nights at 7:00 p.m. The photo shows the custom-built Conn theater pipe organ.

They offer such items as Tenderloin Steak Victoria [stuffed with shrimp and topped with sauteed mushrooms!]. In addition, I noted "open-faced hot crab sandwiches.

Ferrante's Mequon Restaurant: Family Owned Italian Restaurant in Mequon

by deecat Updated Sep 9, 2004

Ferrante's Mequon was within walking distance to our hotel, and since it is a family-owned Italian Restaurant, we walked there for dinner on Saturday night. It's a typical Wisconsin Bar/Restaurant that features American food such as hamburgers, Fish Fry, Italian pasta and pizza, seafood, and vegetarian choices. For dinner, the prices range from about $6.00 to $16.00.
    The service was excellent. Our waitress took this photo of Allan, Jill, and I at the end of our dinner. She also loaned us a sharp knife for cutting a caramel chocolate apple back at the hotel. She added napkins, plastic silverware, and "wet wipes" of her own choosing. We were most thankful for her generosity.

Favorite Dish: Allan had Baked Walleye Fish with almonds, and it was outstanding. Jill ate Filet with mushrooms and said that it was good but not terrific. I had a good salad with homemade Bluecheese dressing that was great and a pizza that was SO BAD that I did not eat it. It has to be bad for me not to eat it because I love pizza. I also had Haystack Onion Rings that were good but not what I call "Haystack". The Calamari was wonderful. So, I would say that the food is average.

• Architecture

• deecat's Profile Photo

White Gull Inn in Door County: Romantic Candlelight Dinner at...

by deecat Written Sep 14, 2004

If you are looking for a place to have a romantic dinner in Door County, go to Fish Creek and eat at the White Gull Inn.
    The menu (especially the homemade dessert menu) changes with the seasons so that all the ingredients are as fresh as possible.
    The large room has a romantic ambience with lots of lovely wood, windows everywhere, linen tableclothes and napkins, and, of course, candlelight

Favorite Dish: They serve Wisconsin beef and Duckling, fresh, locally caught, fish, local produce and Door County cherries and apples.
    Allan enjoyed both the fresh fish and the duckling. We also loved the White Gull Salad (assorted greens tossed in balsamic vinaigrette dressing & topped with dried cherries, roasted pecans, and fresh grated Parmesan). I favored the Wisconsin beef and fresh fish. If you are there in late spring or early summer, try the Morel Mushrooms. We both loved the cherry pie with ice cream!
    We were told that some of the recipes have been handed down from one generation to the next.
    Also, Chef John Vreeke and his staff have created some wonderful specialties all their own.

• Architecture

Ristorante Brissago: Outstanding Italian

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

While staying at the Grand Geneva Resort & Spa at the Orange Lake Condos in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, we ate at theRistorante Brissago inside the Grand Geneva Resort. This restaurant is elegant yet inviting. We found it truly an authentic Italian experience. Those of you who know me realize that my favorite food is Italian, and having been to Italy on four different trips, I'm a pretty good judge of authentic Italian cuisine.

Fortunately, we were seated at the windows that looked out over the Wisconsin countryside; however, it was dark so it was difficult to see that beauty. The restaurant has a romantic aura about it, and the well-versed waiters added to the room's magnificence.

Our waiter informed us that the ingredients are about 80% from Italy; the rest are fresh local ingredients which follow the most authentic Italian recipes.

The web for the restaurant informs that "Bufala Mozzarella contains 100-percent Bufalo milk and arrives weekly from Campania, where they've been making the cheese for centuries. And the Regiano Parmigiano comes from a small selected family-run cheese maker in Regia Amelia."

With the fresh ingredients, you will relish the northern Italian pastas, cheeses, olive oils, and cheeses. We were first served hot fresh bread with Extra-virgin Olive Oil that was so wonderful that they had to bring us more!

Favorite Dish: After we were served the yummy bread, we had delicious and unusual Calamari Fritti [with roasted peppers and a Basil Garlic Vinaigrette]. The Calamari was so light and tender, and the Vinaigrette was out-of-this-world.

We both order an Insalate [salad]. I chose the Insalata Casalinga alla Brissago [Basil Lemon Vinaigrette Gorgonzola and Walnuts]. This salad was good but not terrific. It had to much vinaigrette for my taste.

Allan ordered Insalata "Cesare" [Romaine lettuce, Croutons, and Garlic Dressing]. His salad was much crisper, and he really enjoyed it.

Allan's main meal was the Agnello alla Griglia con Funghi [2 lamb chops with three kinds of wild mushrooms atop Polenta]. He said that it was quite delicious. He took home one of the Lamp Chops and had it the next evening.

I tried the Pizza al Forno from the brick oven. I chose the Pizza Margherit with Fresh Mozzarella, Basil, and Tomato. As you can see in the photograph #3, it was terrific. I, too, took half of it home and had it the next evening.

The SERVICE was outstanding. They catered to our every need. We really loved the looks of the homemade desserts, but we were too full to order any. Our waiter, Edwardo, knew that it was Allan's birthday, so he brought us a dessert with a lit candle. We suddenly found the room to eat it completely. What a romantic and delicious meal we had at the lovely Ristoranti Brissago.

• Spa and Resort

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

"FISH LIPS": Big pizza`s & good beer......

by RobMorgan Updated Jun 30, 2003

In the tiny town of Cornucopia, next to Wisconsin`s northernmost Post Office.
    Has a great "Northern" feel, with a bar & pool table on one side.

Favorite Dish: We had a pizza, but had to share one between us...too big !!!
    The service is really attentive & they loved our British accent !!!!
    I tried the local beer, think it was called "Northwoods Dark", wow, just like drinking tar, but without the chippings in it !!!!!
    It`s really good stuff, but I think it`s an acquired taste !!!

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

CULVER`S: "Wot, no Denny`s ???"

by RobMorgan Written Jun 30, 2003

Don`t think there are any Denny`s in this part of the USA, WHY NOT DENNY ????
    But Culvers is the next best thing.

Favorite Dish: I recommend the "Bacon Butterburger Delux", ask for a double, then have a chocolate Frozen Custard in a dish, then have a coffee to finish.
    Just see if you can get out of your chair afterwards !!!!!

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

MAGGIE`S: Best meal in Bayfield.

by RobMorgan Updated Jun 30, 2003

We were told Maggie`s is the place to eat in Bayfield, as soon as it`s mealtimes, it`s full.
    Don`t let the bright pink paintwork put you off.

Favorite Dish: We didn`t get a chance to try there......well there are only so many burgers & fries that a person can eat, you know !!!

• Al Johnsons: the goats on top of the roof

by emilianarciso Updated Jun 9, 2003

This is the *best* sweedish resteraunt I have ever eaten at! Every summer they higher real sweeds to come and work at the resteraunt for them. They wear traditional sweed outfits and serve sweedish food.

Favorite Dish: My favorite food they serve is sweedish pancakes! mmm.. you have to eat them with linkin berries.

Wisconsin Hotels

12 Reviews - 25 Photos
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Hotels
1 Review - 8 Photos

Instant Answers: Wisconsin

Comments

Wisconsin Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wisconsin restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wisconsin sightseeing.
Map of Wisconsin