Stores, Malls or Markets in Wisconsin

Most Viewed Shopping in Wisconsin

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Eden Meat Market: Eden Meat Market in Eden

by dlandt Updated Apr 4, 2011

The moment you walk in the door you know you are in an old style butcher's. TYhe tang of real smoked meat pinches your nose in that earthy, familiar way. Not only do they make great bratwurst, but they have terrific steaks, so if you are camping anywhere near the south end of Lake Winnebago, or can hit Eden from 45, give it a go. They also sell cheese and curds, venison, and some precooked dinners, often of an odd sort like bison stew. They also dress venison for hunters.

What to buy: Bratwurst!

What to pay: Less than you might expect

Hidden Quilts: A "Hidden Gem" in Platteville, Wisconsin

by deecat Updated Jun 21, 2007

Hidden Quilts in Platteville, Wisconsin, has a fitting name as it is truly hidden behind a strip mall but well worth the search for anyone looking for a fabric treasure of Batiks.

Perhaps two-thirds of the shelf space is filled with more batiks than I’ve ever seen at any shop. A good selection of traditional, brights and reproduction fabrics are also available as well as a good selection of patterns.

A machine quilting service is offered. The owner was very helpful and knowledgeable. Quilters visit from some distance to choose from her batiks.

The above portion of this tip was written by the Quilter on the trip, Jill Martin.

What to buy: Carol Long, owner, was fantastic. She was so very helpful, and I appreciate all the time and attention she gave to us.

Since my friend Jill and I spend a good deal of time on our trip in Quilt stores, we were thrilled when we discovered Hidden Quilts in an unplanned side trip to Platteville, Wisconsin because we did not go to a far away destination in Iowa on one day as plannned [a huge storm was brewing, and we did not want to be that far away from our Time Share in Galena.]

We had exhausted all our possibilities in Iowa looking for the proper batik material for a Queen-sized quilt that Jill is going to make for me, along with shams and valances for my bedroom. We knew that we were doing an Italian Borgello Quillt and needed just the perfect "teal and brown shades of a Batik".

Lucky for us, the storm was predicted [and came] which led us to Platteville and The Hidden Quilts Shop. We found the last three materials that we so desperately needed all here at this shop.

What to pay: 8 1/4 yards of Vintage floral Batik was $81.68; 5 yards of Bali Dawn Hoffman Batik was $49.50; 3/4s of a yard of Natural Classic Crush Batik was $6.60: total of $137.78. This may be a shock to some non-quilters, but this is reasonable for fine Batik fabrics.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Simon's Specialty Cheese: Simon's Specialty Cheese

by dlandt Updated Nov 21, 2006

Although there are quite a few souveniers to buy here, as well as beer and local products like sausages, Simon's is a cheese factory, but caters to the tourist trade. Their cheeses didn't please me as much as Gibbsville's, but the cheese was good. There's also a lot more variety due to Simon's sheer size. They offer what I would guess to be about 120 different varieties of cheese, and tasting stations are set up. I should make a note here that Simon's is not independently owned.

What to buy: I would skip the souveniers and artwork here, just go ahead and buy some cheese. I supplemented that with some beer, but only did so because it was a very small amount. If I wanted more than one or two bottles I would go somewhere cheaper.

What to pay: Market price, plus maybe a little more, maybe 5%

• deecat's Profile Photo

From the Heart, Inc.: A Lovely Cluttered Mess....

by deecat Updated May 20, 2005

Michele Nowicki owns and runs FROM THE HEART, Inc. in the heart of Cedarburg.

It is clutter everywhere. There is hardly room to move because of all the people who visit this shop. Outside has garden decorations of all sorts, including holiday decorations.

It is a two-story home, and each small room is packed with merchandise. Upstairs, you will find theme rooms. You pay downstairs just as you walk in at a cluttered counter. If you are claustraphobic, you will be unable to stay for long.

What to buy: Holiday decorations, especially Christmas and Halloween are sold here.. So are Garden pots, stepping stones, sculptures, stakes, arbors, trellises, wall hangings, and fountains.

All kinds of wall hangings, rugs, linens, knicknacks, collectibles, stain glass, flower arrangements, and toys reside here, too.

The prices are reasonable, but the quality is only average. Many of the items are, however, quite clever.

What to pay: Ranges from $1.00 to hundreds of dollars

• deecat's Profile Photo

Cedar Creek Settlement: For A Village of Shops, Visit...

by deecat Updated May 20, 2005

In 1864, pioneers built the stone mill in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, to capitalize on the demand for wool products during the Civil War. By the 1970's, the mill was in disrepair. In 1971 Jim and Sandra Pape saved the boarded-up mill and renovated it into a working winery & a group of owner-operated shops & studios. This mill & adjacent buildings on or near the corner of Washington & Bridge are known as the Cedar Creek Settlement with more than 25 restaurants, antique stores, gift shops, artists' studios, working winery, blacksmith forge, and a potter's studio. Besides the winery and the blacksmith shop, my favorites were:
    John Red's Closet, which is an American craft gallery with unique and creative work of over 200 artists and craftsmen. (262-377-2995)

Jewelry Works is a Jewelers-Goldsmiths who specialize in unique, handcrafted designs in sterling silver and 14K gold jewelry. The owners are Michael Eubank, Designer/Goldsmith and Beth Eubank, Designer/Artist. Jewelry repair is also done by Michael. The prices are reasonable, especially for jewelry made in the old world tradition at its finest. I purchased three sterling silver rings...two for Jill, and one for myself. (262-377-9010)

What to buy: But, my all-time favorite at the Cedar Creek Settlement is:

Dime a Dance, which is a retro shop where you can go back in time and browse through a multitude of items such as antique accessories, jewelry, linens, and an incredible selection of vintage clothing.

The photograph is of my daughter Jill in a black velvet hat with fur trim and a Lamb Coat with Fur trim. It remined me of Audrey Hepburn's style.

What to pay: Items at the Cedar Settlement range from pennies to hundreds of dollars because of the variety of shops.

• Wine Tasting

• deecat's Profile Photo

Private Plantings in Cedarburg, Wisconsin: For Truly Unique Gifts For a Gardener...

by deecat Updated May 20, 2005

One of the best stores that I shopped in during our stay in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, was called PRIVATE PLANTINGS Unique Garden Solutions. The owner, Margi Wendt, does an excellent job purchasing unique items for her store.

As a gardener, I am always looking for some new and/or unique item for my own garden and other people's gardens. This is the place to find such items. It is a huge shop with at least two large rooms, perhaps a third smaller room.

As the photograph indicates, it is wall-to-wall with items to purchase. I did purchase a gift for my friend Marilyn for her garden. I cannot reveal what it is because she reads my pages!

What to buy: The shop has pottery, collectibles, Christmas items, sculptures, fountains, plants and flowers, and any other item you can think of that has to do with gardening.

The prices are a little above average; however, they are not "run-of-the-mill" things that you see in several stores.

If you are ever in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, try to at least take a look at Margi Wendt's PRIVATE PLANTINGS unique Garden Solutions.

• reon80's Profile Photo

Wisconsin Apple Orchards: Apples, Cider, and Cheese, oh my!

by reon80 Written Dec 28, 2003

One of my favorite memories as a child was when my family would drive to Wisconsin and go to an apple orchard to buy apple cider and the world-famous Wisconsin cheeses, then take a picnic out to one of the local parks. There isn't a specific orchard I can recommend, we usually just drive until we see signs, or surf online till we find the one we want to go to. But if you're in Wisconsin, you definitely can't go without some of the wonderful apple cider and some squeaky cheese curd! Take a picnic out in the fall, its breathtakingly beautiful, the heart of the Midwest:)

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

LEXINGTON SHOPS: Local craft shops......

by RobMorgan Written Jul 12, 2003

I think it`s the old Spring Green railway station that`s been converted to shops.
    As you can see, they`ve got real character.

What to buy: Plenty of crafts & perfect for some souvenirs to take home.
    There is also lovely ice cream & coffee to be had there.

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

NORTHERN LIGHTS, Herbster.: "Local craft........beautiful"

by RobMorgan Written Jul 2, 2003

Found this little gem of a shop on our drive along the 13 towards Superior.
    The shop is run by a lovely lady, Sally Bowers. The gifts/items in the shop are made locally by retired people & are of a very high standard. Her husband, Howard, who is a Master Carpenter Cabinet Maker, has items for sale too. The quality of his work is outstanding.
    Sally also exports the items (we`ll be doing a bit of Christmas shopping from her website).
    Don`t forget to visit & also sign the visitor`s book.

What to pay: The items are very reasonable, especially for this quality of work.

• RobMorgan's Profile Photo

MALL of AMERICA, Minneapolis.: "Miles & miles.....of shops..... !!!!"

by RobMorgan Updated Jul 2, 2003

It`s toooo big !!!
    We stayed one night in a motel by the airport (Minneapolis) & noticed "The Mall of America" was opposite, so off we went to explore..........I`ve heard that it`s the biggest shopping percinct (or Mall) in the USA.
    We certainly slept well after walking around....miles & miles..........of shops........

What to buy: Shop for anything, but sweatshirts & t-shirts (sportswear) seem abundant.

Wisconsin Hotels

12 Reviews - 25 Photos
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Hotels
1 Review - 8 Photos

Instant Answers: Wisconsin

Comments

Wisconsin Shopping

Reviews and photos of Wisconsin shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wisconsin sightseeing.
Map of Wisconsin