Washington Island Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do

Washington Island Things to Do

• Schoolhouse Beach

This is a fun place even if you don't swim.... there's picnic areas but more importantly, what it's famous for, are the rocks on the beach. Smooth as a baby's butt, all of them. It's hard to imagine until you see it.Don't try to take them home as souvenirs though... you'll be fined.

• Norwegian Stavkirke (Stave Church)

Across the street from the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, a replica of a Stave Church in Borgund, Norway. A beautiful "prayer path" through the northern forest leads you to it. In July & August there's a wednesday evening service held here at 7:30pm.

• Overlook Tower

If you want a good workout, climb the stairs of the tower that gives the view you see on our first Washington Island page. By the time you get to the top, you'll try to play it cool... no big deal.. I'm not tired.. that was nothing... this is pretty , I think I'll stay awhile.... lest it be known you're staying to catch your breath. Good thing it...

Washington Island Hotels

Washington Island Restaurants

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

by lar-n-me Updated Apr 19, 2004

It's simply a cool, local, fun place to have drinks or eat, with live bands during summer months.
    The Koyen Collection consists of The Granary (pub) which is attached to KK Fiske Restaurant

Favorite Dish: I have to say... this was my first experience of a Fish Boil. Had never even heard of them. The owner of the restaurant (whom I absolutely love, what a great guy) heads out in the early a.m. to catch that evenings meal. The pot is placed in the parking lot... locals (and visitors) gather round... at a particular, chosen time (call the 'boil over'), the fish are thrown in the boiling water which already contains potatoes and onion. It creates a big flame then the 'boil over'. Soon after , dinner's ready.
    It was a good meal and entertaining! to say the least.

Fish Boil

Washington Island Nightlife

• Any of the bars "up the road"

Any of the 4? bars on the island are fun... walking distance from each other even. This was a night of pool playing with some old friends of lar's he grew up with on the island who we met up there for yet another reunion.

• Fun Fact

The nights we were there, they had a great band. The place is full of history, too. In this picture, the bar is actually the steps of the schoolhouse Lar attended as a child. cool huh. casual

• Washington Island Hotels

2 Hotels in Washington Island

Washington Island Transportation

• RV'ing

Our (my) 2nd trip to the island we made sure was a different experience than the first by flying into Chicago and driving a motor home from there to the island. Those of you who have rv'd before know the incredible fun and benefits of having your 'home' with you everywhere you go. And staying the night in a different place (or not) each night was...

• Island Ferries

The ferry ride to the island is just part of the fun of Door County. Drive on and either wait the 30-40minutes in your car, or get out and watch the NW view of beautiful Michigan Lake from the top of the ferry. Website:island ferries

• Car ferry over to the Island,...

Car ferry over to the Island, bring your car or bikeYour car ,taxi Vis taxi shes got to be 100 years old by now!or bike or tour on the cherry train a pulled cart like deal hits all the sites to see on the IslandThis is a photo of a Cedar lodge cabin nice.field Stone fire place porch/deck/grill/picnic table&lots a room for the kids to run or bike...

Washington Island Off The Beaten Path

• lar-n-me's Profile Photo

by lar-n-me Written Apr 18, 2004

Well I'm sure it means nothing to anyone but me, but I couldn't NOT include a picture of the house where Lar was born. It's just too heartwarming.

Washington Island Favorites

• Transportation on Washington Island

I think it would be very worthwhile to take the car ferry and bring your vehicle with you to the island. We thought that we would rent mopeds, but they were $50/hr!! We did take the tour on the Cherry Train which was very informative, but we spent only 5 minutes at Schoolhouse Beach and we could have easily enjoyed that for 2 hours or more! The...

• Relax and have fun!

Seeing the kid's enjoy the smallest museum in the world Jacobsens on the island.This is a photo of a Stavkirke built on the Island a Church.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Washington Island? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Washington Island

Comments

Explore Deeper into Washington Island
Map of Washington Island