Willow River State Park Travel Guide

My friend, Lorena, in front of the falls
    by CThomasB
    My friend on the cliff above the falls
    by CThomasB

Willow River State Park Sports & Outdoors

• CThomasB's Profile Photo

by CThomasB Written Jan 23, 2003

Willow River State Park is a great place for a day hiking and sightseeing with 13 miles of trails and more . The first time I went there was in the winter and I didn't know anything about it and just set out to explore whatever was there, not expecting anything special. We started at the park office and followed a trail, first winding through prairies with views overlooking the river valley. As you go into the woods, there is a very old fenced in grave site. The woods led us down to the river and the trail continued along the side. Then we started hear a noise, like a rumble, and a we walked furthar, suddenly a big beautiful waterfall appeared in front of us, and it was an awesome surprise. The falls are wide, short, intricate, and framed by huge cliffs on each side that run along the edges of the river past the falls. You can hike right down to the water and even squeeze under the first part of the falls if you don't mind getting a little wet. Hiking and climbing on the rocks around the falls is fun. Then you can either continue across the bridge on the path up through the woods, or find your own way, up to the top of the cliffs. Along the cliff edges are a few great overlooks of the river and falls. There's a lot of wildlife around the park, and we saw a huge bird that looked like a wild turkey hurry away as we walked by. This is just one part of the park, and there's a lot more of it to explore.

My friend, Lorena, in front of the falls
    • Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

Instant Answers: Willow River State Park

Comments

Willow River State Park Travel Guide
Map of Willow River State Park