Cody Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cody

Cassie's Supper Club: Experience the West

by KimberlyAnn Updated Sep 27, 2013

Cassie?s Supper Club

Cassie’s Supper Club has been serving up food and entertainment to locals since the 1920s. Unfortunately, it is very inconsistent in quality. Sometimes it is excellent, and other times we walk away very disappointed. Cassie’s is open for lunch and dinner, and is a favorite local nightspot as well as a restaurant. Here you will find a true western atmosphere. The Green Room, a smokeless dining area, is opened for lunch at 11:00 A.M. Monday – Saturday, and the dinner hour is from 5:00 – 10 P.M. nightly. Lunches feature a variety of sandwiches, homemade soups, salads, steak, and build your own burgers. Dinners features aged steaks cut to order, prime rib, seafood, chicken, buffalo, and pasta. You will find appetizers that range from Bull Fries (also called Rocky Mountain Oysters) to calamari. In non-tourist season Cassies offers live music featuring their house band, West, on Friday and Saturdays. In the summer there is a live band nightly. Cassies has an interesting history having started as a brothel in 1922. The sign that stands on the building is a 1940s cowboy neon sign.

Warning: the service is often very slow here, so if you are headed to the rodeo, you might want to choose a different restaurant to have dinner in.

Favorite Dish: The prime rib, which is mainly what we go to Cassie’s for varies in quality from just OK to excellent, therefore at times I am quite disappointed. It isn’t always as tender and juicy as I would like. Also I like my prime rib really rare, and sometimes I ask the waitress/waiter if they have really rare prime rib, and I am told they do, then when I get it, it is barely medium rare. When we like it, we really like it, when we don’t, it’s a long time before we feel like returning. There are a variety of size choices, so you can order prime rib for small to large appetites. This is a prime rib roast, done the old fashion way.

As far as the remainder of the meal goes, the blue cheese dressing has nice chunks of cheese and is very good.

The chocolate cake is good, but beware, it is very rich. If you feel full, but want a touch of sweet, the chocolate dessert may be too much. Also last time I had it, it had more frosting than I like, but then, that is easy enough to scrape off.

I have to say I have a problem with my rating on this restaurant, so was unable to choose a satisfactiion rating. The atmosphere is really old Cody, with a true western flare, which doesn’t seem to have changed much since we moved here over 37 years ago, the food, however, is hit and miss.

The Proud Cut Saloon: For a Restaurant With a Western Atmosphere

by KimberlyAnn Updated Aug 22, 2013

The Proud Cut Saloon and Restaurant

The Proud Cut Saloon, with its casual, western saloon style atmosphere, is a bar and restaurant that is quite popular with locals. Tourists seem to love the rustic western decor, although at times it can be crowded and very noisy. It has a varied menu ranging from sandwiches to steaks. Their steaks are quite good, the sandwiches tasty, and you can choose from a variety of hamburgers. However, if you are not into that sort of thing, there is very little to choose from. Don't go to the Proud Cut if you would like fish or chicken. Be aware that the house home fries are like homemade potato chips. I like these, but if you want a thicker sliced potato, you will be disappointed. I would not recommend the prime rib, however, as it is not cooked in the old fashion way, therefore your piece will not be sliced from a roast slowly cooked that day, rather it will be marinated, then baked in an oven, only to be reheated in a pan when ordered, which makes prime-rib taste more like steak. If I you are in the mood for prime rib, go to Cassie's instead. Although Cassie's varies somewhat, I always like it better than the Proud Cut. Also don’t get the Caesar salad, this is not a traditional Caesar, and the dressing is very poor.

Wyoming Rib and Chop House: Delicious Varied Menu

by KimberlyAnn Updated Apr 9, 2012

Wyoming Rib and Chop House opened in the summer of 2004, and advertise “Award Winning Babyback Ribs.” I don’t know if this is a true statement, but these ribs are marinated with seasonings for 24 hours, then slow cooked in their oven, then finished on the grill and lightly glazed with barbecue sauce. The ribs are tender, and my husband and a good friend find these really good. I get them occasionally, but I prefer a spicy sweet sauce, and Rib’s sauce isn’t a sweet barbecue. Ribs, however, are only a small part of their varied menu, which includes steaks (beef and buffalo), pork, chicken, and seafood. I absolutely love the buffalo steaks, but they are the priciest entree on the menu, so I generally only order a buffalo steak for a special occasion. If you choose a baked potato on the side they are huge, and include a large choice of toppings.

Favorite Dish: My favorite choice is the 8-10 oz. Buffalo Filet, found on the dinner menu. It is hand cut, lean, and if ordered rare, also very tender. Truly delicious! My husband also loves the Buffalo Filet, and his second choice would be the ribeye beef steak. At lunch you can order from the lunch menu, or from the dinner menu. If you want to try the ribs, and it is lunchtime, a half order from the dinner menu is just right for most people. The lunch menu has coconut shrimp, which is quite good, and what I usually get at lunchtime.

One item that I have had and not liked, is the blue cheese salad dressing, as usually the pieces of cheese are tiny and few.

Sunset House Restaurant: Yummy Belgian Waffles

by KimberlyAnn Updated Apr 3, 2012

Sunset House

My favorite meal at the Sunset House is breakfast. I haven’t eaten dinner there in years, so I cannot comment on that meal, but this is a great place for a wonderful breakfast. Also, if it is summertime, and you are in a hurry, or want a wide variety of items for breakfast, the tourist season brings a well stocked breakfast buffet. The last time I had breakfast there I was told that they also have a dinner buffet during the summer months along with their standard night menu. The food is well cooked, the breakfast link sausage is of good quality, and is not greasy when cut into. Their hash brown potatoes are nicely browned on top.

The Sunset House will also pack you a box lunch, which contains a sandwich, potato chips, fruit, and a dessert. Please allow 30 minutes for the restaurant to prepare this take along lunch for you.

Favorite Dish: I love their Belgian Waffle, topped with either fresh seasonal fruit and a few dollops of whipped cream, or warm apples and cinnamon. I also enjoy the omelets.

La Comidas: A Tasty Mexican Restaurant

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 23, 2012

La Comidas

Another popular restaurant is La Comidas, a Mexican restaurant. It is very good, better than many Mexican restaurants that we have eaten in, however, some of the dishes are somewhat Americanized. Open for lunch and dinner you will find a wide variety of Mexican dishes to choose from.

Yellowstone Valley Inn: A Small Restaurant In A Beautiful Valley

by KimberlyAnn Updated Mar 5, 2011

My Husband Enjoying a Dinner Out

TheYellowstone Valley Inn is a casual, rustic restaurant which is located in the beautiful Wapiti Valley along the highway that takes tourists to Yellowstone Park. If you are staying in Cody, this is an out of the way place to eat, being about 18 miles from town. Because of the drive that most locals have to make to eat here, the restaurant does not have enough business to remain open in the winter. This does not mean, however, that the restaurant is of poor quality. We really enjoy the meals up here, as do a number of other locals that we know. The restaurant opens in the morning around 7:00 for breakfast, and remains open through the dinner hour. The cook is excellent, and although the menu is small, we have always found quality steaks and pan fried walleye on the entree list, and both are excellent. The only thing we have had here that was not as good as we had hoped, was dessert. We have only tried this once, so we may have just had an off night, but my husband’s chocolate cake, and my tiramisu, were both on the dry side. If you are staying in the valley, and would like to eat out, be sure to check out the Yellowstone Valley Inn.

My second photo is of the outside of the restaurant

Favorite Dish: I love the walleye; my husband loves the fillet mignon.

I have heard that this restaurant has a different cook, so hopefully these dishes are still on the menu, and still as good!

The Irma Bar and Grill: For an Old West Historic Setting

by KimberlyAnn Updated Aug 29, 2010

Main Doorway to the Irma Hotel

The Irma is the historic hotel and restaurant in town, having been built by Buffalo Bill and named after his daughter. The Irma’s main dining room has a cherry wood back bar that was presented to Buffalo Bill Cody by Queen Victoria of England after a command performance of his Wild West Show was given for her in 1900. This back bar was made in France, shipped to New York by steamer, then shipped by rail to Red Lodge, Montana, then by horse drawn freight wagon to Cody. Note that there are two dinning rooms in the Irma, so be sure you choose the one with the cherry wood back bar to eat in. The Irma's breakfast is quite good, and very reasonably priced, so if you would like to see the old historic hotel/restaurant I would recommend a breakfast. I have been told that they serve very good shrimp and fish, in the evenings, although we have not tried this. Their prime rib is done in the old fashion way, starting with a roast, which is slow cooked. It use to be the best in town, and although not bad, I prefer Casey’s prime rib to the Irma’s. Salad at the Irma is a build it yourself salad bar, and although they have some nice items to place on your salad, the lettuce is mostly iceberg, which is not very nutritious, and the least expensive to purchase.

• wybrowneyedgirl's Profile Photo

Cassie's Supper Club: Lobster in Wyoming? YES!

by wybrowneyedgirl Updated Sep 5, 2009

Cassie's Supper Club

Cassie's is one my favorite places to eat in Cody, Wyoming. We eat there on every special occasion and even when it's not so special. The menu has a variety of things specializing in Prime Rib, steaks, chicken dishes, salmon and shrimp, lobster tails, and pasta. Appetizers include Bull Fries (also called Rocky Mountain Oysters), calamari, fried zucchini, cheese sticks, onion rings, flowered sweet onion or a combination platter. Lunch menu includes a variety of sandwiches, homemade soups, salads, steak, and burgers. The atmosphere is old western. It used to be a brothel, "cat house" which dates back to the 1920's. The cowboys would come in, have their weekly bath to clean up and spend the evening with a woman. The original keys for each room are displayed in a case. On the wall are photos of "the girls". Cassie was the "madame" and there is a special portrait of her. There is mounted wildlife and other interesting things of the west, almost a tiny museum of artifacts. There is live music most nights ranging from a "one guy western singer" named Doug to local singers or "West, the band". Local singers often take their turn entertaining. There's a huge wooden dance floor for dancing which doesn't start until later in the evening so if you want "peace and quiet" for dinner, pick an earlier time to "wine and dine". The bar is separate as far as a smoking and drinking type bar. The original old fashioned bar remains next to the dance floor where you can sit on a stool and order drinks (no smoking allowed there). The dining rooms surround the dance floor and there are 3 levels in one dining room.
    Open for lunch at 11:00 A.M. Monday – Saturday and dinner hour is from 5:00 – 10 PM nightly.

Hint ~ Service is a little slow, so if you are into alcoholic drinks before dinner, it's less expensive to slip off to the bar and get your drinks after ordering your dinner. Or, send one member of your party to the bar to get drinks for everyone when you first arrive. You will save quite a bit on your final drink tab.

Favorite Dish: MY FAVORITE...... Western Australian Lobster Tail. That's the only thing I order. Every single time I go there, I get the lobster tail. Broiled. Iit is, by far, the best lobster within 500 miles of Cody, WY. Now, that includes some pretty big cities. There's something about the Western Australian Lobster that makes it better than a Rock Lobster tail or a live Maine lobster. It's "meatier", not slimy, the taste is not fishy and the size is more than plenty! The price is "market value" and a bit "pricey" but I feel it is well worth it when it comes to dining out. Mine usually averages $50. Since the other members of my party usually get Prime Rib, steak or the Salmon, the whole bill is usually $100 or less for 4 people, not including alcoholic drinks.

• National/State Park

• nipsmanny's Profile Photo

Maxwell's: Avoidable if you're a finicky Vegetarian

by nipsmanny Updated Aug 2, 2008

Maxwell's was one of the 3 places we found in Cody which atleast had some vegetarian options. But both the dishes we tried there (Portabella mushroom sandwich and crispy fried vegetables) had a very strong beef? flavour. For someone who does not like the taste / smell of non-vegetarian food at all, it might be a bit of a problem ... otherwise the place was nice. It was crowded: we had to wait for a while to get a table. The desserts were nice though.

• nipsmanny's Profile Photo

Hawaiian Pizza: Only place for Hot vegetarian food

by nipsmanny Written Aug 2, 2008

Very nice vegetarian pizzas. The two of us could hardly finish the entire pizza ... freshly prepared right in front of you ... a welcome place in otherwise not-so-vegetarian-friendly Cody.
    Large place to sit in (it was relatively empty when we went. but apparently they have a lot of take-away orders)

• mrsmig's Profile Photo

Bubba's Barbeque: Good Breakfast! (So-So Lunch)

by mrsmig Written Jun 17, 2007

For a more substantial breakfast than the continental breakfasts offered at your average Cody hotel, head to Bubba’s Barbeque. It sounded like a strange place to have breakfast, but it was recommended by the Cody Cowboy Village desk clerk. And it was good advice – I had two eggs sunny-side up with tasty bacon, home fries and a biscuit, and my husband had a biscuit with sausage gravy. Now, that may not sound like much, but you haven’t seen the biscuits at Bubba’s. These biscuits are bigger than your hand. I found them to be a bit dry and floury but apparently they were a great vehicle for the sausage gravy because John ate his all up. It was a really reasonable breakfast, too.

We went back later the same day for lunch and was less impressed. I had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich that was sliced rather than pulled, and the BBQ sauce was sweet and ketchupy. My husband had a sliced brisket that was very nice. As with our breakfast experience, the service was fast and attentive and you can't beat the price.

• kazander's Profile Photo

The Irma Hotel: Bufflo Bill Cody's Hotel

by kazander Updated Feb 25, 2007

Irma Hotel, Cody WY

The Irma Hotel dates back to the wild west cowboy days.. This is "Buffalo" Bill Cody's restaurant, bar and Hotel. He named it after his daughter, Irma. The bar here was shipped over from England in the 1800's. It's Huge! We decided to pop in for lunch on a warm September afternoon. We sat in a small area off the bar and kept it casual, buffalo burgers and beer. There was also a "fancier" area of the restaurant that was packed full of customers.

There is also, of course, a gift shop on premises.

Favorite Dish: mmm, Buffalo burgers and Fat Tire Beer....

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

La Comidas: Down to earth Mexican

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2006

Cody by night

This place had been recommended by a couple of VT-ers (pulgaron and KimberlyAnn) and as we both enjoy Mexican food it seemed a good bet. The restaurant is conveniently located in the downtown area (on the north side of Sheridan Ave towards the eastern end). The décor is fairly basic inside but clean and welcoming. There are also tables on a small terrace outside but when we arrived a storm was threatening and we chose to go inside (just as well – only a few minutes later all those who’d been seated outside came hurrying in to get out of the rain!)

We both enjoyed the excellent salsa that was served with nacho chips as a complementary welcome dish. My Aztec enchilada (with chicken and spinach) was also good, but overall I’d say that the food wasn’t quite as outstanding as I’d expected from those other reviews – maybe I’m just picky, or maybe we caught them on an off day? We drank Fat Tyre beer, as recommended by pulgaron, which had a nice flavour but was very flat.

Favorite Dish: The salsa - tasted home-made and came in a very generous portion.

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

The Irma Hotel restaurant is...

by WILDEFLOWER Written Sep 7, 2002

The Irma Hotel restaurant is unbeatable with a whip. Belly up to the bar boys and get your nice cold rootbeer. You will see the town locals who dress in the cowboy and indian attire come right in to their usual table and order their fixins he he! Gotta have bacon!
    Beautiful hand carved wood everywhere thru the hotel and restaurant. The bar covers one whole side of a room alone.

Favorite Dish: Bacon of course!

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

La Comida restaurant.: Great service, super food, beautiful people.

by pulgaron Updated Sep 4, 2002

The terrace facing main street, Cody, Wyoming.

The place is small, with maybe a dozen tables inside, and eight or nine outise in a beautiful terrace facing main street. The food taste like it was made at home. For a mexican restaurant the nachos, and nacho sauce, included with the meal, were excellent. The excellent service is provided by what seems to be a family unit. All showed a resemblance to each other.

Favorite Dish: The chicken strip appetizer, was great. the taco shells were like none other I have ever tasted. They were very flaky and tasted excellent. They have several beers and ales brewed by local state breweries on tap. I chose Fat Tire ale and was not disappointed. Wish I could get it in Miami. Even though I did not try it, fried icecream was available. The water glass was always full and the smiles were plentiful and inviting. I was sorry to leave the place.

Instant Answers: Cody

Comments

Cody Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cody restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cody sightseeing.