Esterbrook Travel Guide

Esterbrook Things to Do

by kim83_50158 Updated Mar 30, 2003

This is the most beautiful chapel in my opinion in the world!! I've been on 4 continents and have seen a huge variety of churches and this is still my favorite! It's a little one-room chapel and is built from logs. And there are wooden benches. There's a huge church bell. At the front of the church, there's a huge picture window with an incredible view of Mt. Laramie! Now the Mt. isn't quite the calibur of the Colorado Rockies or such...but beautiful all the same! And in front of the window there's a huge table (hand-carved) with a small wooden cross sitting on the table. If you find the right spot, the cross fits right in front of the mountain and they compliment each other very nicely. It's a beautiful Christian symbolism moment! Then when you go outside of the chapel, you're in the middle of this huge meadow...there are wildflowers growing everywhere! And then the view is even more breathtaking! In the church, there are pictures of couples who've gotten married in the chapel, and it seems like the perfect place to celebrate a marriage. It's just a beautiful mountain chapel...reminds me a little of a Swiss Chapel--just "americanized". Oh, and be sure to sign the guest book!

Esterbrook Restaurants

by kim83_50158 Written Mar 30, 2003

I think there is a restaurant in the area...like in Esterbrook itself, but I've never eaten there, my parents have though. But what I'm going to describe to you is a special kind of "restaurant". We always cooked our own meals. And food made over the fire or even our little camping stove has a special place in my heart. As long as you have a good ice chest or something you can keep any variety of food. Hot dogs are a classic of course. Even hamburgers are great! But we used to cook veggies with the meat and it comes out wonderfully! I think the experience is what counts! One night we were eating--there were 2 other families with us then and there was a thunderstorm across the valley, so it was a couple of miles away and below us actually, so it was an incredible light show, and so it was cool eating a wonderful meal at the same time.

Favorite Dish: Cook whatever you can...of course you have to "adapt" to new cooking strategies while camping. But it's really good food! And absolutely DO NOT FORGET the SMORES!! It's not a real camping trip without them. (Grahm crackers, marshmallows, chocolate bars---Yumm....) Theyr'e just not the same when they're made in the microwave!
    Breakfast is wonderful on camping trips. Eggs, bacon, sausage, etc etc etc...yumm!!

Esterbrook Shopping

by kim83_50158 Written Mar 30, 2003

Well, it's probably not real "shopping" as most would think of it, but it's a cute little shop, that is basically a convenience store (without gas) or small grocery store that's probably been around forever. The locals buy stuff here, when they can't make it down to Douglas to get supplies. And I remember some trips, there would just be so many little hummingbirds. The owners loved the little feathery creatures so they kept the feeders full all the time. They were so gorgeous!

What to buy: There's food...snack food, meals, etc. There are usually special souvenirs also. T-shirts, and other stuff I think too. There's another section but I don't remember what they have in there!

Esterbrook Favorites

by kim83_50158 Written Mar 30, 2003

Favorite thing: I think I basically grew up there, but that's really not the case time-wise. One of my family's favorite things to do was go swimming in the "brook". We have visited many spots of the river over the years. Many places in shallow enough to just kinda sit there and relax or wade or whatever is your "cup of tea". We also loved to jump from rock to rock in the river. This is definitely not the safest activity in the world but it was still fun. Or there are small cliffs over the river and you can just take in the sun and enjoy the peace of the river below at the same time! I really like the brook--can you tell? :-)

Instant Answers: Esterbrook

Comments

Esterbrook Travel Guide
Map of Esterbrook