Grand Teton National Park What to Pack

Making snowballs
    by DEBBBEDB
    Florida kids playing in the snow
  • What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Grand Teton National Park

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Items to Help You Enjoy the Outdoors

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 5, 2011

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Although summers are generally warm, you can still get chilly weather, even in July and August. If you are going to Grand Teton in the spring or fall, you may even have snow conditions. Be prepared for any kind of weather. Bring shorts, long pants, long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, rainwear, and jackets of varying weights. Even in the summer a mid weight jacket may be necessary, one that you could put a sweater or heavy shirt under. The last time we went to Grand Teton, it was the second week of September. We had snow the first day, and I wore a mid-weight jacket with a heavy vest under. It then warmed up enough that I either was wearing a light jacket, or a jacket with a long sleeve shirt under it. If you plan on hiking, be sure to wear good hiking boots, and don’t forget that sun hat and sunglasses.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Remember, you are at a high altitude, and it is easy to get sunburned, so bring a sunblock lotion.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you intend to do any hiking in the back country, especially if you will not be on the most popular trails, I highly recommend that you carry bear spray, and include a bear bell. I know bear spray is somewhat expensive, and hopefully you will not need to use it, but please do not go without it. Bear spray has saved a number of people in our area of the country. And I am talking about those large cans designed as bear spray, not those little purse size cans of mace. Bear bells, ok I know they go jingle, jingle, and every bird and animal in the area knows you are coming down the trail, but these come highly recommended, so that dangerous animals such as bears know that you are coming. My husband bought me a set of bear bells that resemble and sound like an American Indian Fancy Dancer, in fact he bought me two sets of these! This is over kill, you don’t need that much noise, a small bell that makes a distinct sound will do the job.

Miscellaneous: Of course you won’t forget your camera, but if you have binoculars, or a spotting scope, and enjoy observing wildlife, be sure to pack those also.

On up and down hiking trails, or trails where I must cross streams using rocks or downed logs, I find a hiking stick very helpful. If you are going to hike in Grand Teton, and have a hiking stick, I would recommend bringing it along.

In the photo, notice the small bear bell on my hiking stick. I love this bell! I purchased it in Yellowstone National Park at the Bridge Bay Marina store. It has a net bag with a magnet in the bottom, so if you do not need the bell, you can stop the sound by placing the cover on the bell. The small blue container is a refillable sunblock bottle.

Items to Make Hiking Safer and Enjoyable
    • Hiking and Walking

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

The D factor

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 14, 2009

Luggage and bags: Grand Teton National Park has an amazing backcountry so bring your backpack if so inclined. If you have ever thought of trying it, this is the place to do it. Otherwise, a day pack will suffice for the park's many day hikes to suit all levels of hikers.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A pair of good sturdy hiking boots and cushioned socks will work wonders for your feet if you plan on hitting the trails, something you really ought to do in this glorious park. Dress in synthetic layers so you are prepared for the Teton's very changeable weather. Rain gear is essential and it can snow any time of year so don't forget a warm hat.

Photo Equipment: A wide angle lens allows you to bring the foreground into your photos, making them more interesting. A good zoom comes in handy for the all the wildlife photo opportunities you will have. A tripod for low light situations and cute couple shots.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: This is a wonderful park to camp in so bring your tent, sleeping bags, and mats. Be prepared for chilly nights any time of year.

Miscellaneous: Someone to backpack and hike with. It's not a sport to do alone. Thanks to D for crushing my first trip to the Tetons. She saw the opportunity and took it. :)

Tetons from our private camp breakfast with a view in Cascade Canyon D takes a much deserved break An Angel on Phelps Lake
    • Photography
    • Camping

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Snow

by DEBBBEDB Updated Aug 30, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In June there was a lot of snow still in the park, and we weren't really prepared for that. June is pretty hot in Florida. Even though I spent four years in Colorado Springs, I had forgotten how late the snow lingers in the mountains. So pack warm clothes because there are snowbanks in places even in July.

Photo Equipment: Be sure that you have sufficient batteries and a large enough card for your camera

Making snowballs Florida kids playing in the snow Standing on the snow Mountains and mist make us cold

• kazander's Profile Photo

Layers and Cameras

by kazander Updated Oct 12, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In Summer, you will need clothing for all seasons! I would wear a tank top under a t-shirt under a long sleeve shirt under a jacket. Seriously! Throughout the day you will peel off layers and then put them back on. Oh that Rocky Mountain Weather! Definately bring hiking shoes!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen, Lip balm, any of your daily use products. If you forget anything, you can pick it up at the Camp Shop behind th gas station at Signal Mountain or maybe at one of the little shops in Moose. (I am sure Jackson Lodge or Jenny Lake Lodge must have those sort of little shops, but I didn't visit, so i can't say for sure)

Photo Equipment: We brought SO much equipment, but we used every single thing. You may not have/need /want so much stuff., but I would suggest a good zoom/telephoto for wildlife shots and a good wide angle lens. A polarizer will be helpful as well.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Well it depends on what you're doing. If not camping, I would just suggest an umbrella.

Miscellaneous: An invaluable tool that was suggested to me by VT member Annk was the Road Guide to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. The large map is broken down into sections withe the facing page giving descriptions on what you are seeing, or what you can get off the road to see. I would read it aloud as Lou drove around the park. He very much enjoyed the commentary and we learned a lot about the parks. I picked mine up at Barnes & Noble, though you can order it online as well.
    Binoculars are another excellent thing to have along.

Instant Answers: Grand Teton National Park

Comments

Grand Teton National Park What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Grand Teton National Park what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Grand Teton National Park sightseeing.

View all Grand Teton National Park hotels