Jackson Local Customs

• Jackson Lodge in Grand Teton National Park
    Jackson Lodge in Grand Teton National...
    by KimberlyAnn
  • "WHAR'S THAT DAD GUM MARSHALL".
    by travelgourmet
    GUNSLINGERS AT THE READY
    by travelgourmet

Most Recent Local Customs in Jackson

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Some Locals, Some Not

by KimberlyAnn Written Dec 6, 2010
    Jackson Lodge in Grand Teton National Park

Locals in Jackson know that tourism is the basis for the economy, and because of this they will try to make your stay enjoyable and comfortable. Most people, especially the locals are friendly and helpful. Remember, however, that this doesn’t mean that just because you are a tourist, you deserve to have every request met exactly as you have asked. I live in a small, Wyoming tourist town, and I have seen some really rude tourists. If you are rude, you may be treated rudely yourself.

The cost of living, should you fall in love with Jackson, is extremely high. Only the very wealthy can afford homes here, and a number of movie stars have residences in Jackson.

Also while in Jackson, Grand Teton, or Yellowstone, if you notice that the store clerk, your waiter or waitress, or hotel employee has an accent other than U.S. English, ask where the worker is from. You may be surprised how far they have come to work in the area, especially in the parks. College students, and young people from all over the world come for summer jobs.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

SHOOT OUT AT THE TOWN SQUARE

by travelgourmet Updated Jul 21, 2009

Okay! You want the wild west without the pain. Jackson Hole, Wyoming is the place to go. Don't know if it is a daily affair, but the day I was shopping in the Town Square area, a crowd was beginning to gather on the South-East side of the Square.

To my surprise, as I strolled through the Town Square park, I came upon several men wearing cowboy hats and they were strapped for pure danger. Yep, them thar were the bad-uns, the gunslingers, wait'in on the marshall to have a shoot-out, old west style. Of course, this is only acting, but it scared the be-geebers out of this tenderfoot. I moseyed on over to the corner and picked my spot. I was ready for action.

Well, I'm tell'in you, they came in from the side, a yell'in and whoop'in it up, asking for the marshall to show his gumption. Well, the dance hall ladies were a sing'in and a danc'in, having a good ole time. Then a loud boom from a shot-gun starting the free-for-all. Whew, it was enough to get a man to sweat'in. Don't miss it if you get the chance. A wild west shoot-out just for the tourists. Corny? Well, that's up to you. Get in the spirit, and enjoy. See my street singing, gunslinging video to get you in the spirit of the old west.

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Don't screw around when...

by Yubert Updated Mar 30, 2004

Don't screw around when snowmobiling because if you get your snowmolbile stuck like I did (3 times), your guide might swap out your spark plug with a dud to limit your speed. It happened to me and I couldn't go faster than 35 mph!

The last straw for my guide was when I jammed the throttle to fly up an embankment. I went airborne in one direction while the snowmobile flew across in the other direction, getting wedged into a snow bank across the raod. It was after this that my spark plug was switched on me!!.

Instant Answers: Jackson

Comments

Jackson Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Jackson local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jackson sightseeing.