Jackson Restaurants

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Snake River Brewing: Jackson's Living Room

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 17, 2009

The Ropper & Truffle Mushroom Pizza

Snake River Brewing kind of snuck up on me. Oddly enough, I had been there in 1994 but it didn't ring a bell as being all that great. As it turns out, it had opened that year and breweries change over time and the best ones get better. This was the case with Snake River. Maybe they got a better brewer or the one they had improved with practice but it won Small Brewery of the Year at the Great American Beer Festival in 2000 and 2001. Many of their beers have won many awards too but enough of the accolades, how about the place?

Well, Snake River is affectionately called “Jackson's living room” due to its popularity with locals. This is one place that bases its business on serving its own and not a rip-off tourist operation. Tourists flock here too. We sure did-three times! It was that good. Ok, maybe we were just thirsty from all that backpacking.

The pub is a fair-sized place but not so big you're going to get lost. Ceilings are high and kettles are visible through big glass windows that seem to go from floor to ceiling. The bar is long and snake-like but as big as it was, there were no spaces at it either time we visited. The first visit, we sat at a table as this was to be a reward meal for our first backpacking trip in the Tetons. Service was friendly and quick. The atmosphere was boisterous and pretty loud. It wasn't music, it was people talking in highly animated fashion.

We ordered The Ropper to split and a Truffle Mushroom Pizza. The Ropper was stacked high house-braised brisket, applewood-smoked bacon, caramelized onions, white cheddar & horseradish mayo on a freshly baked bun. It was big and it was tasty. We were hungry. We devoured it. The pizza was no slouch either and had fire-roasted mushrooms, fresh sage, summer peppers with marinara sauce, mozzarella and goat cheese. We finished up by splitting their freshly backed on the premises Molten Chocolate Zonker Cake which incorporates their lovely stout in the recipe.

Favorite Dish: Of course, the reason for coming was the beer and we enjoyed quite a few of their many beers on tap: 1) AK Session-on cask-Amber w/creamy head and malty nose. Well-balanced English-style w/ nice balance and clean finish. Nice especially after thee days of backpacking in the Tetons! 2) Ber-Lander Weisse-unfiltered lemony looking brew in Berliner Weisse family. Very refreshing tart flavor and a fine example of a dying style. Very surprising. 3) Dim-Wit-Light golden brew w/ fruity grainy palate. Thinner on flavor than first two beers but still nice. 4) Vienna Style Lager-Deep amber w/ tan head. Great example of a Marzen or Vienna lager with malty, spicy palate. Clean but not overly dry finish. This is the kind of beer that Munich should be serving at its famed Oktoberfest and what those brewers used so make. Excellent. 5) Guido's Kolnerbrau-Light golden w/ fluffy lasting head. Crisp, clean hoppy palate w/ great fruity malt balance. This place can really brew German style beers! 6) Pale Ale-Deep golden w/ creamy head and great floral hop nose. More of an IPA than a simple pale ale & no wonder it won a gold medal at World Beer Cup. Big malt, enough to balance ample hops. Dry but not overly bitter. Long floral finish. Quite nice. 7)Zonkers Stout-Black w/ tan head & coffee nose. Rich bitter palate w/ espresso notes well-balanced w/ chocolate malt & fair hops. Well-matched with their Molten Chocolate Zonker Cake. The beer was so good, we picked up a six-pack of a beer they did not have on draft that day. In bottle: OB-1-their organic brown ale-mahogany w/ creamy tannish head. Roast malty brew w/ rich mouthfeel & enough hops to dry out offset any over sweetness. Very easy to drink.

The two meals, many beers, and generous tip came to $55.

• Beer Tasting

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo

The Bunnery: Great breakfast

by Jeannette1 Written Dec 3, 2004

The Bunnery Restaurant

Excellent breakfast. It was worth waiting in line for it.
    Here is what they say: "
    The Bunnery" is the locals favorite spot with the best breakfast in town. Along with a full breakfast menu they serving daily selections of freshly baked goodies: coffee cake, croissants, danishes, muffins, and much more. Hearty luncheons with great soups, delicious sandwiches served on our famous O.S.M. (Oats, Sunflower and Millet) bread. Tantalizing desserts."

Favorite Dish: Good food, good service.

• Xspecht's Profile Photo

Bubba's BBQ: One of Wyoming's Best BBQ Places!

by Xspecht Updated Nov 24, 2006

Front view of Bubba's

Excellent barbeque restaurant with reasonable prices. The only downside is that Bubba's is almost always crowded, so if you come during prime dinner hours, be prepared to wait a while. It is well worth the wait though! They also have a salad bar for those that aren't into meat. That is the only way I can get my wife to go with me! Excellent value for what you get!

Favorite Dish: Baby back ribs are meaty and tasty! Great sauce and excellent prices!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Snake River Brewing Patio: many happy returns

by richiecdisc Written Dec 15, 2009

happy hour pretzels & nachos on the patio

The second time we visited the brewpub was after our second backcountry trip in the Tetons. We got there a bit earlier and it was very nice out so sat on their little terrace, even having to seek refuge under an umbrella to get out of the sum it was so warm. Well, I did. D stayed in the sun, enjoying the rare warmth. As much as we loved the inside visit, this one was just as good and reminded us of being in a beer garden in Munich especially with their very nice German style beers.

Favorite Dish: We decided to check out their happy hour menu as we noticed it flyers for them on our first visit. Along with some inexpensive appetizers, pints are only $2.50 between 4-6:00. Nice homemade soft pretzels are only $1 and come with very good homemade beer mustard. We ordered another almost immediately. We also had a fair sized plate of nachos which was good quality and very inexpensive at $3. These proved perfect accompaniments to their super high quality beer which at $2.50 a pint is a steal. It's on wonder we came back a third time.

This time we tried the following beers on tap along with some favorites from the first visit, of course: 1) Rolling Thunder Dortmunder0Light golden & full-bodies Germanic lager w/ ample malt & a fine, crisp, dry finish. Who said lagers were for lightweights? I was disappointed that they did not have their Kolsch on tap this day but this one made me forget it. 2) Golden Buck-Light golden & fairly full-bodied English style pale ale. Thirst quenching & fruity w/ nice semi-dry finish. Nice. 3) Custard's Last Ale-Deep golden maltier big brother of their Golden Buck. Very full-bodied w/ rich bready malt balanced with ample dry hops. Bitterness prevails in the end. Not quite as nice as their normal pale ale which was disappointingly not on tap our last two afternoons.

We spent $22 and $40 for food/beer with tip respectively on our second and third visits.

• Beer Tasting

• Xspecht's Profile Photo

Vista Grande: Best Mexican Food in Wyoming!

by Xspecht Updated Apr 4, 2007

The steak fajitas here are excellent, as is the rest of the food as well. We always make a point of going to dinner at Vista Grande whenever we are in Jackson. It is the best Mexican food in the area. We are from Southern California, where we have great Mexican food, and we don't have anywhere that can touch Vista Grande's food. If you like Mexican food, this is a must visit.

Favorite Dish: Steak Fajitas, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Tender, flavorful, and lots of it!

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Mountain High Pizza Pie: Pizza

by Florida999 Written Aug 29, 2006

We had really good pizza there, plus I had a Greek salad that was large enough to feed 4 people.

Compared to most restaurants we went to in Wyoming which ranged from junkfood chain restaurants to diners that mostly served Buffalo burgers and fries, it was a nice change to have some decent pizza.

The only regret I had was that after we ate, I located a small take-out place next to it that had Indian food, but only certain days of the week. We went back a few days later and they didn't have any.

Favorite Dish: pizza and Greek salad

THE BUNNERY: BEST BREAKFAST IN TOWN

by travelgourmet Updated Aug 30, 2011

Breakfast is calling

Stuck in the back of the Hole in the Wall Mall, it is found by the lines of patrons waiting to get their fill of the best breakfast in town. A quaint courtyard eatery sits out front for the summer and inside are a couple of rooms filled with tables to sit the hungry local or traveller. You can purchase items to go as well.

The interior is very clean and even though crowded, it is easy to relax over a hot cup of coffee and try to decide what mouthwatering dish to order from the menu. If you really become addicted to the pancakes, no need to worry when you get home. Just put up their website and order on line. Flapjacks coming up, table number 3.

Favorite Dish: You can't go wrong with any of the dishes offered, but for me the most fantastic buttermilk pancakes filled the bill. Well, I had a couple of basted eggs and some bacon to go with it, oh and a side of hash brown potatoes. Yep, pardner, this is the old west and you pack it in for a full day ahead.

• Seniors

• Xspecht's Profile Photo

Calico Italian Restaurant & Bar: Best Italian Food in Town!

by Xspecht Written Nov 24, 2006

If you are in Jackson and are in the mood for Italian food, then Calico is certainly the place to go. They have very good dishes and fair prices, as well as a family-type atmosphere that is fun for all. We always make a point of eating here when we are visiting the area. They also have a terrific patio area for dining outside in the summer. Our kids love to play out on their spacious lawn area while we sit out on the restaurant's patio.

Favorite Dish: I love the linguini with spinach and chicken. It has all my favorites, mushrooms, tomatoes, pinenuts, and all with a delicious white wine sauce, yummy!

• kazander's Profile Photo

Thai Me Up: Tasty Thai

by kazander Written Sep 1, 2005

Thai Me Up

After 10 days of steaks and burgers and Xanterra cuisine in general we were more than delighted to be offered some variety when we arrived in Jackson. Just a few steps from our hotel was "Thai Me Up". Now I like Thai food, but never had it seemed so appealing!

Favorite Dish: For drinks I got the Thairita, sort of like a margarita with coconut milk...it was very good, (I promise) Lou got hmmm...what did Lou get...maybe a bloody mary.? I'll get back to you.
    For an appitizer we had some sort of coconut tofu thing with dipping sauce. Excellent.
    For dinner Lou had his usual Pad Thai, very tasty, and I had the Panang. Both were so good! Probably exceptionally good since it had been so long since we had any variety in our food, but so good nonetheless!

• National/State Park

MILLION DOLLAR COWBOY BAR: SADDLE UP FOR A DRINK

by travelgourmet Updated Apr 19, 2010

SADDLE UP AND DOWN A JACK, DANIEL'S THAT IS.

Put on your cowboy boots and grab your 10 gallon hat, we are off to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. This is one saloon you should not miss if you are in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. In fact, if you are going anywhere within 100 miles, this is the place to wet your whistle, blow your horn, or dance a jig. The beautiful Knobbled Pine interior comes from western Wyoming forests. The horse saddle seats at the bar take some getting use to if you don't ride horses but after a Jack Daniels, neat, no rocks, you should be able to settle into the saddle and whoop it up. True western bar, true drinking.

This location has everything western. The memorabilia collection to view is great and the paintings and decor are pure americana. Dancing and live music every night. A gift store is at the front of the bar with logo items to remember your visit. Downstairs is the Million Dollar Steakhouse with a little bit of something for everyone. Even the interior and exterior was filmed with Clint Eastwood in the 1980's movie "Any Which Way You Can". Be a cowboy for a day, stop by the Million Dollar Bar and saddle up.

Favorite Dish: The "Bar" is noted for serving Jack Daniels whiskey and the Million Dollar Bar is the largest outlet for single barrel in the northwest. So far, over 10 barrels have been drunk. (one barrel is equal to 240/750ml bottles).

Downstairs is the Steakhouse with a collection of starters and main course dishes that you may have never tried. For starters try the Buffalo Stuffed Ravioli or the Rocky Mountain Elk & Huckleberry Sausage. Hey, try them both. Nothing beats a great Rib-Eye Steak and the 20 oz. Cowboy Cut is the one to try, if you are a really hungry cowpoke.

• Singles

• kazander's Profile Photo

Million Dollar Cowboy Steakhouse: Steaks ect...

by kazander Updated Sep 14, 2005

Million Dollar Cowboy Bar

We were planning on visiting the Million Dolar Cowboy Bar on our 2nd night of the trip, when we got there the doorman informed us that there would be a cover charge, but not if we had also dined at the steakhouse downstairs. We were hungry anyway, we hadn't had dinner yet, so we took him up on the deal and headed downstairs. The wait was about 15 minutes, so after getting stamped, we headed to the bar for a drink. In exactly 15 minutes, it was time to eat. We were seated at a high table not far from the bar. The food was excellent, so everything worked out splendidly!

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Petit Filet Mignon, Lou had the Elk Medallions. The filet was fantastic, I was not a fan of the Elk, but I don't think I would be the fan of ANY elk, Lou enjoyed it!

• National/State Park

BUBBA'S BAR-B-QUE: BAR-B-QUE HEAVEN

by travelgourmet Updated Jun 22, 2008

BUBBA'S BAR-B-QUE IS HARD TO SPOT

"Look fast, look right, and look hard while on US Highway 98 near the bend in the road heading south out of town, a joint called Bubba's". That's what I was told when I asked about a good Bar-B-Que restaurant. Also was told the place was not much to look at, but hey, the food is good.

And good it was. The wait can be a while but the line moves quickly. Go inside and put your name on the waiting list as soon as you arrive. Went twice and it was just as nice. Inside is nothing to write home about, at least for decor ( plain tables and benches), but the service and food are excellent. If I stayed longer in Jackson Hole, I might have gone more times, it was that good. Every kind of smoked, bar-b-qued meat is available as well as many other dishes.

Favorite Dish: Well, this is a tough one. Went the first time at lunch and had a pulled pork bar-b-qued sandwich. Yummy, great flavor and tender to the touch, at least my mouth did touch the pork before I devoured the sandwich. Curly fries and cowboy beans are sides not to miss. Dinner was another time consuming decision, but the combo of beef, chicken, and pork was the best choice.

• Seniors

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Dornan's: Best possible view

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 1, 2010

Nice view?

Great location inside Grand Teton Nat'l Park, and not too expensive considering...
    Had a roasted vegetable sandwich.
    They have seating inside, on a deck and upstairs on the roof. I sat up there with one couple. View can't be beat.

• WheninRome's Profile Photo

Million Dollar Cowboy Bar: Have a Drink for the Experience and Then Go

by WheninRome Written Aug 11, 2009

The Bar

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is a bar - not a brewery as the selected theme may indicate. 100% bar.

I had great memories from this place when I was in Jackson Hole in my very early twenties. This place is probably best suited for those in their early twenties, but I was amazed at how many 40 to 60 somethings were in there swilling down expensive drinks. One in this place was enough for me.

This was actually one of the first places I went into upon getting into downtown Jackson after my plane arrived. I hadn't eaten in about 8 hours and I remembered this place from my previous trip so I went in and had a seat on one of the saddles at the bar. I ordered a beer and then food (at a separate ordering window), a buffalo burger as they were out of elk, which I've never had.

The beer was a Snake River Brewing Company beer (marked up 50 cents per pint) and the buffalo burger was bad.

You have to go in and take a seat in one of the saddles at the bar for the experience. Have a beer or softdrink or whatever your thing is. And then leave.

Favorite Dish: None. It's all about the experience. Food is about average price (for bad food) and the drinks are average to a little above average.

• Motorcycle

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

The Snake River brew house: The place where is life and beer!

by kokoryko Written Nov 25, 2007

Beer tank

The Snake River brew house is a late evening and night meeting place for many young (and less young) local people in Jackson; it is a very lively place offering a choice of at least ten different house brews and a wide variety of food with a very kind staff.
    Micro breweries are a very good tradition in the wild west and having dinner in such a place, among local (or at least people living here) people is a nice experience; this place is two storey and the two times I was there, it was packed!
    There are ales, lagers, dark beer, bottled, from the tap, herb flavoured (not my personal choice) beers, and these beers are different from the “international” brands we usually find in bars and restaurants. They have Mexican food, beef of course in various forms and once my choice were barbecue ribs: I did not leave a single molecule of meat was left on the bones!
    And it is possible to look at the brewery, look at the big tanks were the divine beverage is maturating; these steel or copper tanks shining in the lights of the restaurant have a special charm and aesthetic.

This brewery proudly displays the diplomas and medals it won on many exhibitions or competitions.

Instant Answers: Jackson

Comments

Jackson Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jackson restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jackson sightseeing.