Moran Travel Guide

larry playing on hill
    snowmobiling break
    by lar-n-me
    oodles of trails to choose from

Moran Things to Do

by lar-n-me Updated Jan 23, 2006

brooks lake lodge&spa

There's many trails you can take from Togwotee to Brooks Lake Lodge, just make sure you make it your destination one of your days.
    Lar and I couldn't decide in the beginning whether we wanted to stay at Togwotee or Brooks Lake Lodge. Tog' seems to be the more centralized, party, sociable atmosphere...with a quicker way into town (Jackson) or elsewhere, for that matter. But Brooks is secluded, romantic... and much classier.
    Based on our lunch there, their restaurant has fabulous food (try the chowder in the bread bowl), and the staff is friendly. Speaking of "staff", the owners dog hangs out there, too. Or at least he was when we were there. A friendly, well mannered, black lab named Ruger. We became pals. He likes to hug while horizontal. ohh so sweet.

us arriving at brooks lake lodge warming by the fire at brooks lake lodge brooks lake lodge lobby jen and ruger brooks lake lodge bar
    • Adventure Travel
    • Spa and Resort

by lar-n-me Written Jan 22, 2006

This was just a place we snowmobiled to.. ohh the coldest day we had.. (frozen fingers! made for good memories tho? haha Thanks to Lar.. I warmed 'em up on the sled engine.. that's my man-it's love)
    We simply stopped for lunch and warmth. The food was good...friendly service. AND..this was the first place we got cel phone service throughout our trip (not that we minded the seclusion from 'others', but business is business...)
    Here's their link if you want to learn more about the resort
    hatchet resort

parking at hatchet cel service? cool.  Er.. damn the hatchet resort

by lar-n-me Updated Jan 22, 2006

You can do an overnight, half day or full day tour. We did the half day, which was plenty for us. You can include it w/ snowmobiling or snowshoeing for an extra charge.
    This was really fun! but was a bit bumpy on some of the trails (don't recommend it for people with bad backs).
    Our mushers name was Greta...she was friendly and funny. Each musher cares for their own pack of dogs, for the most part. I think they kind of tend to all of them, most of the time...as they each seemed to have bonds with each dog.
    We had 12 dogs pulling our sled. A few of which were quite entertaining, to say the least. One we had to (self) name "Dipper" because he pulled no weight of his own, was more interested in dipping his head (or entire self) into the snow banks as we went by. plain hilarious.
    The two females (and I use that word loosely) at the end of the pack... closest to the sled... were named Mouse (a tiny husky) and Sage. Halfway through our tour we stopped to break... Sage decided she wanted to play male dog and harass poor little Mouse (who took it like a champ; pardon the phrase). Halftime entertainment, if you will.
    The mushers bring hot chocolate for the sledders if they feel like warming up 1/2way through the tour.
    Half Day Tours
    Adult - $145
    Children (under 10) - $95
    Half Day w/ Lunch and Transprotation
    Adult- $184
    Children- $129
    Full Day Dogsled/Snowmobile Combo Tours
    All Inclusive - Includes transportation, breakfast, lunch and clothing.
    Adult - $295
    Adult (2nd rider on snowmobile) - $229
    Children (under 10) - $169
    Full Day Dogsled/Snowmobile Combo Tours
    Budget Rates - Does NOT include transportation, meals or clothing.
    Adult - $259
    Adult (2nd rider on snowmobile) - $189
    Children (under 10) - $129
    Full Day Snowshoe/Dog Sledding Combo
    Includes transportation, snowshoe equipment and lunch
    Adult - $250
    Child - $150

view from the sled. go mouse... go sage... lar-n-jen in sled, greta mushing 1/2time entertainment larry being musher jen and new sled pup

Moran Hotels

Satisfaction: Very Good

• Jenny Lake Lodge

North Jenny Lake Junction, Moran, WY, 83013-0250

• Togwotee Mountain Lodge

togwotee mountain lodge We're happy to have chosen Togwotee to get our snow fix, after 4 years...

• Jackson Lake Lodge

US HIGHWAY 89 NORTH, Moran, WY 83013

Instant Answers: Moran

Comments

Moran Travel Guide
Map of Moran