Wildlife, Yellowstone National Park

Know about this? Rate It!

more trees
    Lodgepole pine
    Trees
  • DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Trees

by DEBBBEDB Written Sep 1, 2011

Lodgepole pine

It's not exactly wildlife, but when I was in Yellowstone, I took a lot of photos of the trees. Mostly because there are a lot of trees in Yellowstone. When I labeled my photos, a lot of them were labeled "more trees", or in some cases "lodgepole pines" or "forest". My dad thought it was sort of funny that I had so many pictures of trees and that was even though my grandmother wouldn't let me upload all of them to Picasa

On the Circle of Fire tour, the guide told us that the trees never decayed like in most places - they fall over and just lie there forever. He also told us that there were only a few tree species in the park The most common is the Lodgepole pine which is tall and straight reaching up to 75 feet in height. Some American Indians used it to make frames for their tepees or lodges, hence the name. In thick groves, only the tops of trees have branches because sunlight can't reach down the trunks far enough.

There are also Engelmann spruce and subalpine fir that make up the other 20 percent of Yellowstone's forests.

• Eco-Tourism

• sim1's Profile Photo

Surprised by an Elk

by sim1 Written Feb 25, 2003

Spotting an elk during the walk to Mystic Falls

Not a lot of people were on this part of the trail. I was a bit worried because we are in bear country and I had no idea what to do when I would encounter one. So I took some precaution and made a lot of noise. This Elk didn't seem to bothered by it. The trail made a sharp turn and right behind a big rock this Elk was resting. It startled me for a moment, I didn't expect to see any wildlife after all the noise I was making.

• Hiking and Walking

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Winter Wildlife

by Segolily Written Mar 3, 2008

bachelor party

Just a few of the animals we saw on our winter adventure. Our cameras couldn't capture the wolves, but we saw them, and some pine martens and river otter along with so many bison, elk and coyote we stopped oohing and aahing for them.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Hayden Valley

by BLewJay Updated Nov 9, 2004

The road in this area of the park follows the Yellowstone River and it allows you unlimited views of the valley. If you are lucky, you'll see lots of wildlife...we happened to see at least 3 herds of buffalo roaming the fields.

• Safari
    • Photography

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Its easy to go off the beaten path

by goingsolo Written Feb 26, 2003

Its a national park and although there are plenty of hiking trails and a paved vehicular road, it still feels as though you're off the beaten path. Driving down the road, you suddenly see several parked cars and, out in a clearing, a herk of elk, moose or other wildlife.

• JosM's Profile Photo

Squirrel

by JosM Written Aug 1, 2004
    Squirrel

Near Lake Yellowstone, one can closely observe squirrels, as they seem to be familiar with park visitors.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Yellowstone National Park

Comments

View all Yellowstone National Park hotels