Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone National Park

by DEBBBEDB
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn: Quite a good meal

by toonsarah Updated Mar 10, 2010

Old Faithful Inn dining room (historic part)

We had dinner in the Old Faithful Inn on our first evening in the park, having booked (as you need to) several weeks in advance. Despite this, we were kept waiting for a short while for our table, and when we got to it we found it was in the newer part of the dining room which lacks the atmosphere of the older part. The service was friendly if brisk (well, there was a constant queue of hungry diners outside!) and the overall atmosphere was a little bustling and noisy. I must admit I wondered whether we might not just as well have eaten in the Snow Lodge where we were staying, but I have to say that the meal was very good and the Inn itself full of character and well worth the visit.

Overall this isn't a place to come for that romantic dinner, but the food is tasty and the Inn worth experiencing at least once on your trip to Yellowstone - though don't think you'll get a view of Old Faithful itself from here because you won't!

Favorite Dish: We shared a white bean dip starter which was OK but the best dish was my Wild Alaska Salmon with a citrus beurre blanc, crystallized ginger, sauteed spinach, wild rice, which was excellent. My husband pronounced his lamb shank with rosemary red wine gravy, buttermilk-mashed red potatoes and roasted vegetables to be "fine". We had a beer each and the total bill was $62, plus service.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn: ah Xanterra Cuisine...

by kazander Updated Sep 7, 2005

Old Faithful Dining Room

I made reservations for dinner at the Old Faithful Inn months in advance. Still we had our choice of only 5pm or 7:45 pm or later. I chose 7:45. It was Sunday evening, our 1 week anniversary, I wanted us to go someplace special. It was...kinda. There was just this one problem. We had already eaten at Mammoth, Canyon, and Grant Village . By the time we had dinner at Old Faithful it was like de ja vu for the 4th time. You see, all of the parks resturants are run by Xanterra. So everything is almost exactly the same, including the atmosphere if you can believe it. It might have been OK, for one meal, but after awhile it just gets monotonous. All the servers (in all the aforementioned resturants) are from all over the world. There name tags indicate where they are from (as well as their name....of course)

The resturant is just off of the main Hotel lobby. Their are, unfortunately, no views of Old Faithful. The atmosphere is old log cabinesque. The lighting in this very large room irked me a bit. It was like they were trying to imitate candles, but ended up with metal sticks with round lightbulbs stuck on top. The could have put a bit more effort in. All in all, it really is a nice place. It just has an undeniable feeling of summer camp about it.

Favorite Dish: OK, I'm sorry to say I have no favorites, though I did enjoy the huckleberry dressing on my salad. Lou ordered the spinach and mushrooms atop cannelini beans (doesn't sound that good to me either) Anyway, he got about a silver dollar size amount of mushrooms and spinach on top of a huge bowl of beans. He was disappointed.
    I had a boring old cheeseburger (I had tried most everything else on the menu other places) It was mediocre.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn Dining Room: In the Grand Log Structure, The Old Faithful Inn

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 8, 2014

Old Faithful Inn On a Snowy September Day

The Restaurant in Old Faithful Inn is open from mid May to mid October, and is located in the impressive, historic log hotel. The lobby in this inn is 85 feet high, with a huge stone fireplace, and a series of balconies. The restaurant is off of this grand log lobby, and has a rustic ambience. The menu is varied, with mouth watering descriptions of the dishes offered. Please be aware that dinner reservations are required, and I would recommend that you make these well in advance!! Even in the fall when there are a lot less people in the park, you must make your reservations at least a day in advance. This is because in the fall, many students who work in the park during the summer months, have returned to college. With a smaller staff, the park service cannot serve the entire dining room, and therefore fewer tables are available for meals. And of course in the summer, you have crowds of people who wish to eat out.

Favorite Dish: If it is offered, get the tiramisu for dessert.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Snack shop: average

by Dymphna1 Updated Aug 27, 2009

Food was over priced for the amount you got - per normal in a tourist trap. It wasn't bad - but it wasn't great either.

It is one of those restaurants where you go through the line and can pick off the line what you like, and then order the bigger items to be made fresh. We had the pizza and it took longer than it should to have gotten the pizza.

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn: Make your Reservation Early

by DEBBBEDB Written Aug 1, 2010

My kids in front of the restaurant fireplace

The restaurant has another fireplace with the wood beams and exposed roof/ceiling. Over the fireplace hangs a painting of Old Faithful (Barb).

My grandmother and I tried to get a reservation here on the first night, and all we could get was 8:30 p.m. The next day, we ate breakfast here (photo 3). Breakfast was first come, first served. We got a box lunch from here (ordered in advance), and we had a 7:30 dinner reservation. Even though we had a reservation, we still had to wait. They gave us a beeper (photo 5) and we sat in the lobby and waited.

Favorite Dish: Each time, I had the buffet. I like to look at my food before I select it. The buffet was a good deal as I got the child's rate. My grandmother had a meal from the regular menu (photo 4) and she was not as pleased.

Old Faithful Area: Basin Store Fountain

by grandmaR Updated Aug 18, 2010

Burl wood

Built in 1897, this was the first store in the Old Faithful area. Adjacent to the Old Faithful Inn, this store’s unique burl wood highlights, original marble counter and fountain stools represent the National Park’s rustic tradition.

On the day we arrived, I called for a dinner reservation, but the first one we could get for the dining room was 21:15, and I thought that was too late, so we ate in the Fountain area of the General Store.

On the last day we were there, I thought we might go and have breakfast and then check out of the hotel, but my grandson said we should just check out and eat breakfast at the store, which he had noticed had omelets on the menu. He likes them better than scrambled eggs

Favorite Dish: You can eat at the counter (photo 2) or they will bring your food to the table.They cook each meal to order so service isn't always completely efficient, but the workers try to please.

I don't remember what we had for dinner but a cheeseburger and fries is $8.10.

My breakfast is in photo 3. My grandson's breakfast - (photo 4)was $8.15

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn: LET ME AT THE BUFFET TABLE

by travelgourmet Updated Feb 19, 2009

Old Faithful Inn Lunch Buffet

Okay! This may not be up to travelgourmet's style of eating, but after hiking around in the morning looking at all the mud pots, geysers, waterfalls, and many buffalo, deer, and fowl, I feel that comfort food and plenty of it, gets one ready for a busy afternoon.

The Old Faithful Inn has a very large restaurant that tourists and those staying in the hotel start lining up for lunch about 15 minutes before opening. The buffet was just average and the a la carte menu looked more inviting, but this is where to fill up on energy makers and not gourmet delites.

Breakfast buffet is served from 6:30 am till 10:30 am
    Lunch, buffet or menu, is served from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm
    Dinner is served from 5:00pm till 10 pm

Favorite Dish: Typical buffet offerings and the good part was the decor with a large amount of woods used and designs to panel and cover this dining room.

Old Faithful Inn: Reservations Needed for Dinner

by grandmaR Updated Jul 8, 2010

Waiting for their dinner reservations

We ate in this restaurant twice (breakfast - photo 4- and dinner) and had them give us a box lunch.

There are so many people here that the restaurant is just about always crowded and there are people waiting. If you don't make your reservation when you make your room reservation, there probably won't be any places for dinner before 8:30 or 9 pm even in early June when the park isn't completely over-run yet.

Breakfast buffet is served from 6:30 am till 10:30 am
    Lunch, buffet or menu, is served from 11:30 am till 2:30 pm
    Dinner is served from 5:00pm till 10 pm

Favorite Dish: We ate in the old part of the dining room (photo 3) and it was atmospheric - i.e. it was so dark I couldn't read the menu. They gave us three rolls (this is a family joke between my husband and myself - he always wonders which of us gets the third roll).

My grandson decided to get the buffet which was probably a good idea and cost effective for him as he was still a child according to their rules. He had prime rib, wings and salad (photo 2). But I wasn't really very hungry and I thought the buffet was too expensive for a not-to-hungry person, so I had the spinach salad and chicken and pasta (photo 5), but I didn't like either of them much.

• School Holidays

Cafeteria, Bake Shop & Ice Cream: Old Faithful Dining Room Alternative

by grandmaR Updated Aug 18, 2010

My soggy sub

I felt that we had to have lunch but the Old Faithful Inn dining room wasn't open. We saw a sign (photo 4) that there was a cafeteria off the lobby, so we went into the deli, and got sandwiches (I had to sit down in the cashiers line because the woman in front of us was trying to make her kid promise to eat something if she bought it, and she took an incredibly long time doing that.)

We ate them sitting next to the entrance of the West Wing as I did not have the energy to go back to our room.

Favorite Dish: My grandson's was some kind of lunch meat, and mine was a Dagwood sub, which was soggy. I got cranberry juice to drink, and we shared a cinnamon bun which we both thought had too much icing.

We didn't try the ice cream

Also off the lobby is a place called the "Bear Pit" (photo 5) Lounge. We did not try this. The website says: Adorned with etched glass panels inspired by the original wooden Bear Pit Murals, the lounge offers a pleasant locale for a drink, appetizers and fond recollections of the day.

• Seniors

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn Dining: If you are lucky to find place

by PALLINA Updated Sep 4, 2009

Normally you have to book months in advance to dine here. Being the hotel's restaurant, people reserve tables when they book the rooms. We found place because of a cancellation so don't loose your hopes and try to call. Old Faithful Inn is a sort of legend in park; the restaurant is very well organized but I expected it to be much more touristy. Well, you don't have to expect a tiny and romantic place (the dining room is huge and can be very noisy) but the service was ok and the food very good.

• Luxury Travel

• slabeaume's Profile Photo

Old Faithful Inn Restuarant: a true Old Faithful

by slabeaume Updated Jul 11, 2003

looking into the diningroom from the balcony

Depending on what time of the day you go will decide whether or not you need reservations. Breakfast is first come, first serve--without much of a wait. Lunch is also first come, first serve. You will most likely need a reservation for dinner. We made ours the night we got there for the next night. Dinner reservations are handled through the reservations office at 307.344.7311 up until April 30, 2002. After April 30, reservations can only be made directly with the Dining Room once they have opened for the season. To contact the Dining Room directly call 307.545.4999.
    Not only was the dinner excellent (steak for me, pork loin roast for my Dad, and trout for my husband), but the servers were very friendly and helpful. It was interesting to hear about where these young folks' home towns are and how they're working there for the summer and what life is like for them living there in the park.

In addition to a breakfast menu, they also have a really nice reasonably priced breakfast buffet everyday. We had no problem getting in for breakfast right away. The buffet was about $7.50 including the drink. The buffet included oatmeal, cold cereal, cream of wheat, fresh fruit, bacon, ham, buffet type scrambled eggs (not really sure what they're made of, but you know the type), fried potatoes, waffles, lots of fancy delicious pastries, and probably some things I'm forgetting now. We liked it so much, we got it both mornings we were there.

Lunch offers a selection of fresh salads, sandwiches, house specialties and a western buffet. Dinner includes favorites like--- meatloaf, beef tenderloin and parmesan chicken, and much more. Don't forget the desserts! We had their specialty-- a huckleberry icecream and pie which was delicious.

The dining centerpiece of the historic Inn is a large stone fireplace with a painting of the geyser basin on it. Behind this fireplace, is a newer section to the dining room.

Old Faithful Inn dining room is open May 10 - October 13, for 2002.

Favorite Dish: The buffet breakfast was very good---great variety. The steak dinner was great, too. And their specialty--the Huckleberry icecream and pie was fabulous!

Instant Answers: Yellowstone National Park

Comments

Hotels Near Old Faithful Inn
4.0 out of 5 stars