Two words: Mosquitoes and...
Two words: Mosquitoes and Bears. This is not a joke. Bears will seldom attack, but they are curious creatures, and brutally strong when backed into a corner or surprised. It is not a bad idea to buy a bear spray (this is not a joke either), a pepper-based spray that MAY disable a bear long enough for you to slowly ease away. It seldom comes to that, but it is always nice to have a plan B.
The mosquitoes have long been considered the Alaskan State Bird. They are everywhere, and you must have some form of insect control. Any repellent with at least 10% DEET in it is a must. Citronella smells nice, but wears off very quickly. PICS, a coil that is burned, is very effective as well.
Also, NEVER drink the water. Beavers in Alaska carry Giardhia, a parasite that can make you sick for over a year. Be sure to boil everything, or run it through a water purifier.
Vagrants are a nuisance, (eg:...
Vagrants are a nuisance, (eg: spare a dollar for some gas, just finished work and ran out of gas. We gave one guy a dollar to get rid he pushed it back through the car window and asked for five) we felt unsafe going beyond Mans Chinese Theatre, LA.
The U.S. is arguably the most...
The U.S. is arguably the most dangerous country in the world, but common sense can keep you safe. Obviously, keep aware of your surroundings, especially in downtown areas of major metropolitan areas. Just keep your eyes open ... watch people who are walking around you ... and keep aware of your wallet or purse. If you see someone who looks suspicious, just move to the other side of the street. DO NOT get in a confrontation with anybody. People here might be armed with weapons. In the northeast part of the U.S., especially New York, don't stop people on the street to ask questions. It's not just that they're rude ... they're also on guard and suspicious because that's how robbers set people up to steal from them, by asking directions.
There are 30,000 lakes in...
There are 30,000 lakes in Florida. I was told many times that every lake has an alligator – or every alligator has a like :-)
I wanted to see some bear in...
I wanted to see some bear in Canada,
but...this was the only one I met!!Sigh...
Anyway...surely less dangerous!!
North America Hotels
If your pocketbook can afford it, the Sherry-Netherland is one of New York's poshest luxury hotels....more
We did an international phone call from this hotel and when we were leaving we ask for the bill of...more
13163 US Hwy 12, 98361
Good for: Business
Top North America Hotels
- San Diego Hotels
- 3314 Reviews - 7582 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1972 Reviews - 3994 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15888 Reviews - 31980 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2070 Reviews - 4181 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 838 Reviews - 1968 Photos
- Cabo San Lucas Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1276 Photos
- Sedona Hotels
- 896 Reviews - 2139 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4225 Reviews - 7319 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3163 Reviews - 6210 Photos
- Puerto Vallarta Hotels
- 1149 Reviews - 1992 Photos
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Explore the World
- Katy Hotels
- Isola di Ponza
- Panglao Island
- Greenville Hotels
- Cadaqués Hotels
- Marineland Hotels
- Málaga Warnings and Dangers
- Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers
- Easter Island Warnings and Dangers
- Stockholm Warnings and Dangers
- Taipei Warnings and Dangers
- Ko Chang Warnings and Dangers
- Thiruvananthapuram Warnings and Dangers
- Valencia Warnings and Dangers
- Hamburg Warnings and Dangers
- Martinique Warnings and Dangers
- Koblenz Warnings and Dangers
- Kuching Warnings and Dangers